U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2013, 01:02 PM
 
34 posts, read 43,512 times
Reputation: 27

Advertisements

Yea ... "native americans" for its popularity is a misnomer, at points that could be used to refer to early colonists, etc. and you're spot on about the distinction between Indian/American Indian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2013, 01:09 PM
 
749 posts, read 1,544,946 times
Reputation: 410
Toys r us

Last edited by hydro; 08-02-2013 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: Changed mine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2013, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Go West young man...
409 posts, read 736,040 times
Reputation: 319
Back to the OP...I don't get the Elk Grove ghetto either. Probably stems from the fact that Elk Grove was the fastest growing city in the country at one point and community and public services didn't keep up with the explosive growth. Hence problems with crime, congestion etc developed. However, there are more than just a few nice areas in Elk Grove and overall crime stats are low. It's also an area which has become a center for home buying and building in Sacramento County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2013, 08:06 PM
 
Location: Go West young man...
409 posts, read 736,040 times
Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
A friend of a friend came to California from Ohio. He was pretty shocked at all the brown people.
Probably the funniest example is when we were in a car, and a Filipino family walked by on the sidewalk. He looked at them for a minute and exclaimed "Boy, you guys got a lot of Mexicans here."
Reminds me of a quote attributed to Mark Twain...

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2013, 11:11 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
5,057 posts, read 7,265,560 times
Reputation: 3492
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro View Post
Honestly you look like you are overcompensating.
no, just responding quickly on my way to work.

The OP was commenting on generalities and opinions of others, and that is exactly what posters were expressing. In my experience, some areas of EG are ghetto (as are some parts of South Sac, Natomas, Antelope, etc)...I think most of our towns have run down areas with thuggy looking people. Another poster is implying that racist people come from No Dakota. There's plenty of California natives that are racist. My parents are racist, and I hate it, but there isn't anything can do to change that. I've tried. Thank goodness they are preoccupied with other things these days and so I don't hear so much bitching about the illegals.

I don't currently have any Indian neighbors. I did when I lived over by Intel, but many of these folk were clueless concerning American culture and manners. I think many were newly in country and hadn't acclimated yet. I did have dinner with my Persian neighbors this week and it was absolutely delicious!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2013, 11:23 PM
 
660 posts, read 831,893 times
Reputation: 375
What neighborhoods in Elk Grove specifically do you think are ghetto? Please list cross streets and reasons why they are "ghetto". I grew up in Florin near Elk Grove and the best neighborhood in Floring is more dangerous than the worst neighborhood in Elk Grove
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2013, 11:27 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
5,057 posts, read 7,265,560 times
Reputation: 3492
Quote:
Originally Posted by u225615 View Post
Back to the OP...I don't get the Elk Grove ghetto either. Probably stems from the fact that Elk Grove was the fastest growing city in the country at one point and community and public services didn't keep up with the explosive growth. Hence problems with crime, congestion etc developed. However, there are more than just a few nice areas in Elk Grove and overall crime stats are low. It's also an area which has become a center for home buying and building in Sacramento County.
I agree with what you are saying, however, IMO, since it was one of the more affordable cities in the area, there was a greater mix of people moving in especially after the crash/housing bust. There are definately more neighborhoods that are run down and not as cared for, and more ghetto-like than in cities like Folsom or EDH. I have seen people driving low riders (the kind that bounce) and people wearing "gangbanger-type attire' in EG, but no, I did not ask if they actually lived there! EG does have its share of low income apartments and neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2013, 03:18 AM
 
272 posts, read 413,850 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro View Post
Folsom seems very Indian proportionately speaking. I notice that it seems there is an Indian family or two on every street. I am not too familiar with Indian people or culture, but from what I've noticed Indians make good neighbors.
Elk Grove, although not truly ghetto, has a lot of ghetto-like thugs milling around. Natomas, too.
There is a large Indian population in Folsom mostly because of Intel. I've worked with a few of them at various times and they are very nice, family oriented and "well educated". I think some white people just have an insane phobia of non whites. I have to remind myself that it wasn't too long ago that Sacramento was a lot more white than it is today. Folsom can attribute a lot of its wealth and prosperity to all the work done by many of these folks. Not just from India, but other asian countries, europe, south africa etc. I think its kind of neat going out to eat in Folsom and occasionally you run into a large group of folks from all different countries and local. All well educated, different cultures etc.

This is in contrast to some areas refereed to as ghetto which doesn't necessarily mean just minority. It usually refers to areas that have more blight, more poor, more blue collar etc. white and non white. There are pockets of these areas everywhere including Folsom and Roseville. There are just more of those pockets in some areas than others. Elk Grove has some nice neighborhoods but there are more surrounding areas that are older and a little blighted. It does not mean all of elk grove is ghetto.


Quote:
Originally Posted by u225615 View Post
Back to the OP...I don't get the Elk Grove ghetto either. Probably stems from the fact that Elk Grove was the fastest growing city in the country at one point and community and public services didn't keep up with the explosive growth. Hence problems with crime, congestion etc developed. However, there are more than just a few nice areas in Elk Grove and overall crime stats are low. It's also an area which has become a center for home buying and building in Sacramento County.
That's a lot of the reason for that perception. There is also some bad areas closer to Sacramento and it just rubs off that all of elk grove (which is a large area) is ghetto. It's similar to the Rancho Cordova perception that all of Rancho is bursting at the seams with gang members lol. Next time you talk to someone who lives in Gold River (which is essentially in the Rancho Cordova area) say to them "Oh so you live in Rancho Cordova". The annoyed responses are classic. They get really upset if you say they live in Rancho Cordova. It's pretty funny.

Last edited by webdev; 08-03-2013 at 04:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2013, 10:42 AM
 
749 posts, read 1,544,946 times
Reputation: 410
True that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2013, 11:19 AM
 
457 posts, read 978,619 times
Reputation: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
There's plenty of California natives that are racist. My parents are racist, and I hate it, but there isn't anything can do to change that. I've tried. Thank goodness they are preoccupied with other things these days and so I don't hear so much bitching about the illegals.
How is this racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top