U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-04-2013, 07:55 AM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 30,322,237 times
Reputation: 28965

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post
How is this racist?
How is what racist? If you think about it, she made a statement about her parents' attitudes which, presumably having been raised by and still in contact with them, she is imminently qualified to make.

I can say with certainty that my parents were very prejudiced and bigoted about many things/people, primarily based on socio-economic factors and upbringing. I know. I was there. It made them very unpleasant. I've done my best to not replicate their attitudes and approaches.

Your question makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2013, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Go West young man...
409 posts, read 735,867 times
Reputation: 319
I don't live in Elk Grove but have driven around various areas due to school functions or visiting friends. Again I see large areas of well kept homes and everyday people of all colors. Yes there are iffy areas but by and large it doesn't strike me as ghetto. Certainly not the impression one develops after driving through Florin, Meadowview or east of the freeway on Fruitridge. As far as appearances of individuals...I've seen extensive body art, piercings and/or "wife beater" shirts worn by folks in Folsom and Roseville sporting Metal Mulisha, Fox, and/or Alpine this or that or driving ratrod style cars or trucks or over the top 4x4s...(some of which are pretty cool looking) But, anyway,does that make those cities ghetto? Hmmmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 07:03 PM
 
272 posts, read 413,746 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post
I would attribute a large portion of the perceived ghettoness to Elk Grove as being what people see in their cars. So if you are just visiting Elk Grove and are driving you may see more ghetto type cars / people than other areas. I believe that's a result of bordering South Sacramento where a lot of those people come down to Elk Grove to shop etc.
It also tends to be related to the shabby look of an area. Unkempt landscaping, roads that are not maintained or repaved, old homes, buildings and or strip malls that are not refreshed and maintained. It makes an area look old and run down. It does not necessarily mean its a bad neighborhood or crawling with gang members but it hurts the perceived value of the area. That's just reality. The older you get the more you understand that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CeJeH View Post
Man, some of you guys sound really silly by assuming that someone wearing sagging pants is in a ****ing gang or lowers the quality of life in their neighborhood.
This is true. Assuming someone with saggy pants is a gang member is a bit of a stereotype. With that said, its very unclassy, and you don't see a lot of unclassy in nice neighborhoods.

There can be a problem when there is an over abundance of "unclassy" displayed in a neighborhood. It distorts and ruins the perception of the area. There is a reason for the term "Location, location, location" in real estate.

Last edited by webdev; 08-04-2013 at 07:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
5,057 posts, read 7,263,515 times
Reputation: 3492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
How is what racist? If you think about it, she made a statement about her parents' attitudes which, presumably having been raised by and still in contact with them, she is imminently qualified to make.

I can say with certainty that my parents were very prejudiced and bigoted about many things/people, primarily based on socio-economic factors and upbringing. I know. I was there. It made them very unpleasant. I've done my best to not replicate their attitudes and approaches.

Your question makes no sense.
thank you. I can't rep you again! you are right on & I really dont want to go into the painful details. I still love my parents depsite their shortcomings.

I agree with what webdev is saying too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
5,057 posts, read 7,263,515 times
Reputation: 3492
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdammit View Post
The thing is, I have lived here for four years and I hardly ever even see anyone in sagging pants or other attire associated with gangs. As for low income housing, well, every town has it...it is the law, after all. To me, ghetto means gang bangers, hoopty cars, big rims, high crime, and bars on all the windows of almost every house. EG just doesn't have much of those things.
I know you originally asked for insight on an opinion you don't understand, but, if you are happy living in EG does it really matter what other people think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 09:21 PM
 
660 posts, read 831,692 times
Reputation: 375
Elk Grove was hit reaalllllyyy hard by the mortgage crisis recently, and as a result a lot of the people that took out 2nd mortgages on their homes or bought in at the peak ended up getting foreclosed on. As a result, a lot of BayArea transplants moved up here to take advantage of the second wave of cheap housing stock within commuting distance to the bay. Most of these transplants moved here because they could no long afford to live in the Bay anymore. Many of these new residents to the area are not White.

Elk Grove was a white town for a very long time. Very white. It is no longer a white town. White people are still the largest ethnic group (45% as of 2010 Census) but the city is no longer majority white. For some reason, white people look at this and see more brown and black people in town, so they assume that non-white people means "well I must be in the ghetto". You can dress that up however you would like, make whatever excuses you would like, but it's still racism, even if only slightly racist. If you assume that brown and black people are automatically lower class than you because you are white then you're racist. It's pretty simple.

If you're scared of being around non whites then perhaps you would be happier in the far-northeast suburbs, like Fair Oaks, Folsom, Rocklin, Roseville, etc. but before you go around using the term "ghetto" to describe Elk Grove maybe you should get off the freeway and take a drive down Martin Luther King Blvd, and Meadowview Dr, Fruitridge Rd and the rest of South Sacramento to get yourself some perspective. Maybe take a trip up north and go for a nice evening stroll down Grand Ave in Del Paso Heights, and see what you think of the place. That's what the ghetto looks like. Elk Grove is NOTHING like any of those places.

There are some really nice, wealthy parts of Elk Grove. There are also some older, middle class parts of Elk Grove. The only real sketchy part of Elk Grove is on Elk Grove Florin Rd, between Bond Rd and Elk Grove Blvd. There's a couple blocks that are full of duplexes and Fourplexes. But even that area is not nearly as dangerous as most of Florin, another 5 miles or so north of there. A friend of mine lived very close to that neighborhood for years and never had a problem, even if he left his door unlocked for a weekend or left his garage full of tools open overnight.

Please educate yourself before speaking on the subject, because I can't help but assume that anyone claiming Elk Grove to be ghetto is either living a sheltered existence or is ignorant of what a ghetto actually is.

And before anyone asks, no I do not live in Elk Grove and I never have. I have however lived nearby for a long time and have spent a great deal of time all over Elk Grove over the last 25 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 09:24 PM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,382 posts, read 50,562,503 times
Reputation: 28610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
A lot of these people are from north dakota in the first place.
The Dakotas have their own problems, a lot of native Americans with drug, alcohol and related crime
on and around the reservations.

Perception is based on one's experience. Those who live in an area like East 40th-48th Streets in East Sacramento could find Elk Grove Ghetto, since they are comparing it to their own neighborhood. I went to graduate school at Sacramento State and remember at the time that the real ghetto was around the K street mall, Elk Grove was considered a residential/rural suburb. naturally a lot has probably happened since I was in the area but if you are happy there why worry about what others say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 09:58 PM
 
2,919 posts, read 5,115,295 times
Reputation: 1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagunahiker View Post
I love live in EG and feel proud of the city I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 10:31 PM
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
117 posts, read 404,516 times
Reputation: 35
@Caligirlz I just don't like to see people publicly hating on my city that I chose to live in. Calling EG ghetto is bad for our town's reputation and if enough people believe it, it will become true (no one will want to move here, home values will drop, etc). Plus it is just dumb. That's why I care. :-)

@webdev,just curious....where are these shabby, unkempt roads? The main parts of EG are very well kept! Except for highway 99, that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 01:46 AM
 
Location: Sacramento
5,057 posts, read 7,263,515 times
Reputation: 3492
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeJeH View Post
Elk Grove was hit reaalllllyyy hard by the mortgage crisis recently, and as a result a lot of the people that took out 2nd mortgages on their homes or bought in at the peak ended up getting foreclosed on. As a result, a lot of BayArea transplants moved up here to take advantage of the second wave of cheap housing stock within commuting distance to the bay. Most of these transplants moved here because they could no long afford to live in the Bay anymore. Many of these new residents to the area are not White.
Agreed. And as I recall, there have been some high profile cases of "grow house" crime in EG.
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/...ve-house-fire/
http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news/...z/-/index.html
http://sacramentoappraisalblog.com/2...-in-elk-grove/
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/09/18/482...t-nets-17.html

Elk Grove was a white town for a very long time. Very white. It is no longer a white town. White people are still the largest ethnic group (45% as of 2010 Census) but the city is no longer majority white. For some reason, white people look at this and see more brown and black people in town, so they assume that non-white people means "well I must be in the ghetto". You can dress that up however you would like, make whatever excuses you would like, but it's still racism, even if only slightly racist. If you assume that brown and black people are automatically lower class than you because you are white then you're racist. It's pretty simple.
I was under the impression that EG was a farming community for a long time, that is after the idigenous tribes were gone. The Sacramento region is very diverse. Others have already talked about the reasons why there is this perception about EG. I'm not going to rehash it.

If you're scared
Why do you people always assume that whites are scared of nonwhites??
of being around non whites then perhaps you would be happier in the far-northeast suburbs, like Fair Oaks, Folsom, Rocklin, Roseville, etc. I live in Folsom. My next door neighbor is black. Next to him, there are Asians. Across the street are Latinos. Behind me are Indians...Not sure what your point is about nonwhites and the suburbs...You sound racist.

but before you go around using the term "ghetto" to describe Elk Grove maybe you should get off the freeway and take a drive down Martin Luther King Blvd, and Meadowview Dr, Fruitridge Rd and the rest of South Sacramento to get yourself some perspective. Maybe take a trip up north and go for a nice evening stroll down Grand Ave in Del Paso Heights, and see what you think of the place. That's what the ghetto looks like. Elk Grove is NOTHING like any of those places.
I've been to "Martin Luther King Blvd, and Meadowview Dr, Fruitridge Rd and the rest of South Sacramento, Del Paso Heights", and I agree, those places are much more ghetto than EG.

There are some really nice, wealthy parts of Elk Grove. Yes There are also some older, middle class parts of Elk Grove. Yes The only real sketchy part of Elk Grove is on Elk Grove Florin Rd, between Bond Rd and Elk Grove Blvd. Agreed, as well as other areas. There's a couple blocks that are full of duplexes and Fourplexes. But even that area is not nearly as dangerous as most of Florin, another 5 miles or so north of there. A friend of mine lived very close to that neighborhood for years and never had a problem, even if he left his door unlocked for a weekend or left his garage full of tools open overnight.
I agree Florin is a totally different level of ghetto.

Please educate yourself before speaking on the subject, because I can't help but assume that anyone claiming Elk Grove to be ghetto is either living a sheltered existence or is ignorant of what a ghetto actually is.
There is a difference between ghetto and ghetto-ish. I think most of us are talking about ghetto-ish.

And before anyone asks, no I do not live in Elk Grove and I never have. I have however lived nearby for a long time and have spent a great deal of time all over Elk Grove over the last 25 years.
I've made home visits to Medi-Cal recipients all over Sacramento, so I'm pretty familiar with the seedier (ghetto-ish & ghetto) neighborhods.

Last edited by caligirlz; 08-05-2013 at 02:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top