Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 04:54 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times

Advertisements

The thing you have to remember about Gold River is that it was developed at a time when Rancho Cordova was unincorporated. So all the parks, exercise facilities, landscaping, and other nice things, had to be paid for through HOA.

This was before places like Folsom and Roseville we're sprawling out and becoming a suburbanized. The perks of gold river gave it a pseudo/quasi exclusive allure. Things that were replicated and standardized in later development.

Gold River was essentially the Reagan era suburb that was the model for the future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 11:13 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeJeH View Post
More like hyperbole and lack of reading comprehension amongst fear mongering and misinformed opinions in this thread.
typical response with name calling (oh my ) of those who cannot tolerate a different opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeJeH View Post
You still don't get it
if your message isn't clear, perhaps you should consider rephrasing it, instead of name calling and blaming your audience. You'll never survive in the corporate world with an attitude like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro View Post
Cut her a break- its not her fault that Elk Grove is not as desirable as Folsom. Folsom has higher property values at the moment. Elk Grove is bargain and a nice place to live, but Folsom is sought after. Well see what happens when south of 50 gets developed, but either way it is a healthier, probably safer, more bikable community with a large lake and a river. Eg doesn't compete, but should be appreciated for what it is... More affordable. Livable community with a surplus of square footage at bargain prices. Not bad. You need to have acceptance for reality.
thank you. I agree Folsom historically has had higher property values. We'll have to see what happens with the S50. I suppose the good news is that the same city council is in place that has been involved with a lot of the development thus far. Hopefully they won't screw it up now.

Quote:
Just in case there's any confusion, eg is not ghetto, but it is close to the ghetto, less isolated from the hot spots of drug deals, gangbangers, prostitution.... You wouldn't have to drive far to get to the ghet. But you are totally safe to walk your dog at night. I am not at all scared to be in elk groves "seediest" area.
As I said, it's ghetto-ish....tattered around the edges. When one buys more than they can afford in housing, maintenance is differed. Same thing when one is facing foreclosure. EG was one of cities in the Sacto region with the highest # of foreclosures. Houses/yards that aren't maintained look like crap over time. Even the idiot whom I bought my house from (which was a rental) didn't maintain the house, including things that could've been replaced for free under the original homeowner's warranty.

My friends who live in EG would agree with my comments as we've talked about it....a lot. They wish they could've afforded Folsom (or elsewhere) too. Thank God we have lots of neighborhoods/cities to choose from... different strokes for different folks.

As for me, there are OTHER reasons why I would never live/buy in EG. It has nothing to do with it's ghetto-ish ness.

Last edited by caligirlz; 08-06-2013 at 11:36 PM..

Old 08-06-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
EG is close to the ghetto. It is too close to Stockton Blvd, Florin Rd, Fruitridge, etc. The homes have been a real steal for quite some time, the ammenities abundant, and the proximity to downtown makes for an easy commute.
Every time I drove from EG to Sac or the opposite direction during commuter hours, both highways were like a parking lot. I've always heard that complaint from coworkers as well. It's an easy commute when no one else is on the road! and so is driving to the airport from Folsom at 4 am!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellisamorgan View Post
Isn't EG the place where they bust all those pot houses on the news? You know, the houses where no one lives but are full of pot? I dont know if that makes it ghetto, but sure does make it sound sketchy to me.
Yes, see post #41 for references. I could've posted a lot more.

I haven't heard of any other city/community in Sacto region that has had as many pot house busts. Please prove me wrong. I can handle it. Lol

Old 08-07-2013, 10:31 AM

80 posts, read 215,906 times
Elk Grove has many good schools; Pleasant Grove High School is one of them. Pleasant Grove High School is one of Greater Sacramento region’s 25 smartest public high schools published by BizJuournals.com.

If you think Elk Grove as “ghetto”, I am curious about what kind of schools supposed to be in your definition of “non-ghetto”.

1 Mira Loma High 1852
2 Davis Senior High 1815
3 Da Vinci Charter Academy 1783
4 Vista del Lago High 1706
5 Charter Community Schoool Home Study 1688
6 Granite Bay High 1682
6 Bella Vista High 1682
8 Oak Ridge High 1681
9 Rio Americano High 1676
10 Folsom High 1665
11 Ponderosa High 1648
12 Colfax High 1644
13 Golden Sierra High 1629
14 Rocklin High 1620
15 Del Oro High 1619
15 Oakmont High 1619
17 El Camino Fundamental High 1595
18 C.K. McClatchy High 1592
19 Foresthill High 1591
20 El Dorado High 1588
20 Pleasant Grove High 1588
22 West Campus 1585
23 Placer High 1583
24 Horizon Charter 1576
25 Visions in Education 1566

Use the average of SAT scroe from the high school that serving your neighborhood as the base to compare, so you will feel happy that you don’t live in a “ghetto” neighborhood.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:19 PM

660 posts, read 1,081,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
typical response with name calling (oh my ) of those who cannot tolerate a different opinion.

if your message isn't clear, perhaps you should consider rephrasing it, instead of name calling and blaming your audience. You'll never survive in the corporate world with an attitude like that.

thank you. I agree Folsom historically has had higher property values. We'll have to see what happens with the S50. I suppose the good news is that the same city council is in place that has been involved with a lot of the development thus far. Hopefully they won't screw it up now.

As I said, it's ghetto-ish....tattered around the edges. When one buys more than they can afford in housing, maintenance is differed. Same thing when one is facing foreclosure. EG was one of cities in the Sacto region with the highest # of foreclosures. Houses/yards that aren't maintained look like crap over time. Even the idiot whom I bought my house from (which was a rental) didn't maintain the house, including things that could've been replaced for free under the original homeowner's warranty.

My friends who live in EG would agree with my comments as we've talked about it....a lot. They wish they could've afforded Folsom (or elsewhere) too. Thank God we have lots of neighborhoods/cities to choose from... different strokes for different folks.

As for me, there are OTHER reasons why I would never live/buy in EG. It has nothing to do with it's ghetto-ish ness.

The point I was making originally before you took it the wrong way twice was that just because you have bustoed bad neighborhoods doesn't mean you know what it's like to live in one. You live in Folsom of course most of Elk Grove is consistent of lower quality neighborhoods than the 1 u live in- that doesn't make it ghetto it just means you live in a higher than average neighborhood. And since when are words like hyperbole and fear mongering considered name-calling? It sounds like you're a bit defensive and, dare I say, hyperbolic?

And yeah, of course your friends agree that EG is ghetto. They probably moved there expecting it to be Folsom and are now disappointed that it isn't as nice. I also find it funny how your friends consider ther town to be ghetto now due to the quality of people living there, yet they couldn't afford to live anywhere better. So doesn't that by association make them ghetto as well?

Old 08-07-2013, 07:35 PM

80 posts, read 206,748 times
At one time Elk Grove was a separate and distinct location from South Sac. The Sacramento County Waste water plant acted a pretty large physical barrier. But as Elk Grove and South Sac grew the empty space between the two areas filled in and the border between the still quite sketchy areas of South Sac and Valley Hi became indistinct from the border with Elk Grove. An additional problem is that the Elk Grove School District serves both the city of Elk Grove as well as Valley Hi and parts of the skecthy corridor along Stockton Blvd. Why that matters is that when test scores are released and people who don't live in the City of Elk Grove proper look at the school test results for Elk Grove schools and see some areas with lots of poverty, middling and falling test scores that gets put together with the narrative that Elk Grove has lots of Marijuana grow houses and the impression is that City of Elk Grove is on the downward spiral is formed.

If your planning to live in Elk Grove is less than 10 years, then I think its perfectly fine right now to live in most of Elk Grove with the exception of the area immediately adjacent to Valley Hi which I think is in transition. Over the longer term horizon, more than 10 years, I think as Elk Grove ages the area probably isn't going to hold up as well as other areas like Folsom and Roseville because the area lost its employment base. 10 or 15 years from now when a lot of the housing built in 80's and 90's in Roseville or Folsom is starting get long in the tooth the neighborhoods will still probably hold as long as HP is in Roseville and Intel is Folsom because there are people in those neighborhoods who will put up with an older house in exchange for a relatively easy commute. But Elk Grove lost a lot of its early big employers. Apple, and JVC left Elk Grove and Elk Grove so far has failed to attract any large high skilled employers to replace them. So as the housing stock stops being new in Elk Grove a lot of the people who right now are willing to commute for the opportunity to own a cheap (on per sqft basis) home will decide to move instead to whatever area 15 years from has lots of new homes.

So again to paraphrase. I think Elk Grove is in the downward transition, but its probably fine for at least the next 10 years. Further out I am less certain.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:07 PM

117 posts, read 486,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Every time I drove from EG to Sac or the opposite direction during commuter hours, both highways were like a parking lot. I've always heard that complaint from coworkers as well. It's an easy commute when no one else is on the road! and so is driving to the airport from Folsom at 4 am!

I take 5 from EG to Sac. Traffic depends on time of year. Now, it is full speed when I make my commute at 8am. For awhile after school starts it is pretty bad. But from what I've seen all the major freeways are bad in the morning.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:09 PM

117 posts, read 486,092 times
I think some people posting here should remember that there are places in between "ghetto" and "stuck up rich" neighborhoods. I'd rate most of EG as middle class...neither ghetto nor rich.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:26 PM

660 posts, read 1,081,591 times
What I've learned from this thread is that the stuck up upper class types view anything that isn't upper class as the ghetto.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:26 AM

I don't know what "bustoed" means. Is that ghetto talk?

I said EG was ghetto ONCE. Then I went on to explain that I really meant ghetto-ish... Aka run down, tattered around the edges (others talked a out this as well). But no, the OP is still stuck on "ghetto." I think there are others here who have a reading comprehension issue.

I think EG is lower to solid middle class. I spent many years in Tulare County. EG's growth spurt has even been compared to my home town, Visalia. There are lots of similarities.

Typically, as one ages and rises on the social economic ladder, they buy up. And if they desire, can move into the better communities. So I can afford location now. I worked damn hard to get here. i feel sorry for those of you who are jealous. Maybe when you get a little older and mature, you will understand.

And I agree with marland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento