Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 11:34 AM

4 posts, read 9,404 times

Advertisements

just transferred out from Folsom to chino state prison.. I work for pia and Like the above said prison is prison and high stress work ! Only exception is Folsom has some deer running around the prison rd entry to old Folsom. On a personal note I cannot stand Southern California I need my river and salmon fishing. I'd say find something else if you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 09:19 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,788,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I think we understood the question and we tried to be as helpful as we could since no Folsom nurse chimed-in. Our mistakes. So just keep wondering. The lack of any appreciation for anyone's attempts to be helpful says it all about you. You are now free to continue your whine-fest. G'Day!

Old 08-12-2015, 10:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,498 times
I noticed your post while doing my own search regarding working conditions at Folsom prison. I have been considering applying but would like to know what I am getting myself into first. I have worked at Donovan Prison in San Deigo and thought it was fine but Folsom pays more which worries me. I'm a psych tech.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,136 times
Hello, I came across this thread also. I'm about to graduate psych tech school in SoCal and wondering the same things @kristi85 @caligirlz but I couldn't find anything else but this. I'm hPpy at the fact state employement gives me the opportunity to live anywhere in the state. I was considering Folsom also. What's the town like? How IS the nursing staff there? Are they sharper than a scalpel or lazier than a sack of potatoes? I also wonder why they pay more up there? Is the working environment extra crazy?

Old 08-20-2015, 09:10 PM

42,745 posts, read 25,916,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi85 View Post
I noticed your post while doing my own search regarding working conditions at Folsom prison. I have been considering applying but would like to know what I am getting myself into first. I have worked at Donovan Prison in San Deigo and thought it was fine but Folsom pays more which worries me. I'm a psych tech.
Old Folsom? It should be fine I think it's all level 1&2 now. RJD is mostly SNY isn't it? New Folsom (CSP) is lvl 4 so I don't think that would be much fun at all. You can get an idea of the size and inmate levels here:
CDCR - California State Prison, Sacramento (SAC) - Home Page/Mission Statement

Old 08-20-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc_corgi View Post
Hello, I came across this thread also. I'm about to graduate psych tech school in SoCal and wondering the same things @kristi85 @caligirlz but I couldn't find anything else but this. I'm hPpy at the fact state employement gives me the opportunity to live anywhere in the state. I was considering Folsom also. What's the town like? How IS the nursing staff there? Are they sharper than a scalpel or lazier than a sack of potatoes? I also wonder why they pay more up there? Is the working environment extra crazy?
I live in Folsom and am an RN, but I've never worked the prison system. I have friends who have (sounds awful), and I have a very good friend who is the retired assistant warden from Folsom Prison. I can ask around & see if I can get you some more useful information.

You may have heard in the news about the recent riot there? Folsom State Prison, California News Feed & Press Release Distribution - Prisons News Today - EIN News

I love living in folsom. I'm not sure what type of town you are looking for, but it's very nice suburb living. Very nice. It's one of the higher desired suburbs & retains it's property value if your interested in that type of thing. It's not a party town. It does tend to go to sleep after 10 pm. There is a historic district with restaurants & bars, and walking distance for that neighborhood. There is no real public transportation within the city except for special events, and taxis/uber. There is light rail, but doesnt run at night. If you want lots of singles & activity, then look at midtown. Folsom is close to the American River Parkway (the river cuts the town in half) & there is a trail system that interconnects the town. https://www.folsom.ca.us/depts/parks...s/bike_map.asp
you may also want to check out the historic district website Folsom Historic District
We also have a premium outlet mall and a new lifestyle (outdoor) mall, the Palladio and the usual array of chains.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:41 PM

42,745 posts, read 25,916,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I live in Folsom and am an RN, but I've never worked the prison system. I have friends who have (sounds awful), and I have a very good friend who is the retired assistant warden from Folsom Prison. I can ask around & see if I can get you some more useful information.

You may have heard in the news about the recent riot there? Folsom State Prison, California News Feed & Press Release Distribution - Prisons News Today - EIN News
That was at 'New Folsom CSP" lvl 4 prison, not a nice place to work

Old 08-24-2015, 06:10 AM

611 posts, read 1,450,835 times
Quick question since there are some nurses in this thread: I've done exhaustive research so I know the CA job market is horrible for new grads, but I am literally willing to live anywhere in CA to get my foot in the door (My HS age daughter wants to go to college in CA), I also have an interest in psych nursing as well. Do any of you have any leads/pointers on how a new out of state grad can land a job? I would ultimately love to live in Sacramento.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:14 AM

^^
I would suggest working with a recruiter, or networking. It would help if you had experience as a nurse's aide or another medical related position. The other thing, be willing to take any RN job until you can get in to your dream position. I know of new grads working for temp agencies and in long term/ LTACs to work & gain experience to get into the hospital.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:57 PM

611 posts, read 1,450,835 times
Thanks Caligirlz! It is hard to network from across the country but I am determined to move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento