Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 09:40 PM

5 posts, read 8,047 times

Advertisements

First off, the heat won't bother me. I currently live in Menifee AKA Sun City -- and believe me, in the summer it is.

Time frame is the spring of 2014.

Buying or renting -- I'm looking for the cheapest solution, due to the fact that all I'll have as monthly income is retirement pay of around $1600. However, I am debt-free, own my car, no medical issues, etc.
Employment -- not likely.
Pets -- this might be the deal-breaker. I have four indoor cats.
Lifestyle -- simple, quiet, stay at home. My days of sex and drugs and rock 'n roll are long gone away.

I'm thnking mobilehome, and in a senior community.

So, looking for comments/suggestions. Posts indicating "you've got to be joking" will receive due consideration, also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 11:02 AM

117 posts, read 485,924 times
I grew up in the RB area. Went to RB high. My parents still live there. RB is boring, but it is also cheap. Economy sucked last I heard. Jobs don't pay as well as in bigger cities. County jobs, when I worked for Tehama co, paid way less than surrounding larger towns (Redding, Chico). It gets hot but looks like you are prepared for that. IMHO RB is a snoozefest but if you like that kind of thing it is fine.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:48 PM

301 posts, read 519,410 times
The heat may not bother you, but has anyone warned you about the north wind?

When we lived there (not RB but Chico and then Redding), we used to joke that "Superior" California has four seasons--wet, wind, hot, and wind again.

Plusses--RB is not constantly a snoozefest. January is the bull & gelding sale, February is a crab feed, April is the Rodeo (Roundup), June is the Crawfish Festival, and September is the county fair. The river runs through town, great historical homes, and friendly people. I miss seeing folks in cowboy hats and Wranglers.

Minuses--poor economy, second generation Latino gang activity increasing, multi-generational welfare, drug use--especially meth, increase in crime.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:50 AM

117 posts, read 485,924 times
Wait, wind? I mean, there are some windy days but I don't remember RB being windy much at all (and I still vintners pretty often). I hate wind so I think I'd remember.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:49 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,838,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyogirl View Post
Buying or renting -- I'm looking for the cheapest solution, due to the fact that all I'll have as monthly income is retirement pay of around $1600. However, I am debt-free, own my car, no medical issues, etc.
Employment -- not likely.
Pets -- this might be the deal-breaker. I have four indoor cats.
Lifestyle -- simple, quiet, stay at home. My days of sex and drugs and rock 'n roll are long gone away.

I'm thnking mobilehome, and in a senior community.

Anywhere in the San Joaquin Valley (between Lodi & Bakersfield) is cheap. There are plenty of small towns for a slower pace of life, and within an hour or so to larger cities. I'm thinking Hanford, Exeter, Porterville, Reedley.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:57 AM

5 posts, read 8,047 times
Thanks, everybody. It's tough when you don't know anyone in the area, so I appreciate the comments, and welcome new ones. Now to get some time to drive up that way and do some research.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:58 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
I researched that area for the exact same reasons as you, but I don't have any pets right now. I want to get a dog, though, so it was important to find a place where I could have a dog.

I ended up choosing Fresno County over the Redding/Red Bluff area. I found a senior complex out in the boonies in the country. They only allow 2 pets, though.

I think your idea of a mobile home in a park is a great idea. I think you would have better luck being able to have 4 pets.

The Fresno area is a bit cooler than the Redding area, too, which helped me decide on Fresno.

Both the Shasta County and the Fresno County Section 8 waiting lists are open. The Section 8 wait list for Tehama County is closed, though (Red Bluff). Though, you might be able to find project based housing.

My plan was to find a county I could find affordable housing in now with an open Section 8 wait list, move to that county, and wait until I get a Section 8 voucher. I've been told you never get to the top of the list if you aren't living in that county.

The rent in the apt I found in Fresno County is just $395. But, once I get Section 8, my rent will only be $260.

The only place in Santa Clara County that I could afford is an SRO (single room occupancy), where I would have a tiny furnished room, with only a microwave - no hotplates allowed, and a half-fridge. And no pets allowed. So, I could stay in this county and hate my home, or move to the boonies and have a home I can at least cook pasta in, and have a dog. Plus, the section 8 list is closed here.

My friends will be further away, but I don't see them often as it is. They're already at least an hour away. Once I move, they'll be 3 hours away instead. Not that huge of a change.

The first thing I noticed when I drove to the senior complex in Fresno County, was how quiet it is there. Silent. I live next to a noisy street. The silence will be wonderful.

Also, I'm looking forward to seeing the night sky without all of the light interference. That will be really nice, too.

Anyway, good luck to you. I know what you're going through :-)

Old 08-12-2013, 09:35 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,838,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I ended up choosing Fresno County over the Redding/Red Bluff area. I found a senior complex out in the boonies in the country. They only allow 2 pets, though.

The Fresno area is a bit cooler than the Redding area, too, which helped me decide on Fresno.

The rent in the apt I found in Fresno County is just $395. But, once I get Section 8, my rent will only be $260.

The first thing I noticed when I drove to the senior complex in Fresno County, was how quiet it is there. Silent. I live next to a noisy street. The silence will be wonderful.
"the boonies in the country of Fresno County"....."Rent for $395"..... Hmmmm....Fresno County covers a large area. I'm curious, where (which town, complex, street) in Fresno County?

Old 08-12-2013, 10:56 AM

107 posts, read 248,462 times
It may be easier to buy right now. It depends on if you could save up a down payment too.You may be able to even get a home at approx. $550 /month that you should qualify for. Also, if you do not have anyone expecting an inheritance, you might seek out a reverse mortgage in a few years, depending on how you really like the place you choose, and if you do need that extra cash. But I think you should first check out the housing for rent and for sale in that area and see if anything would work for you.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:48 PM

762 posts, read 2,030,100 times
Hi, op. Because the economy up there is SO bad, your chances are excellent.
Why all the Fresno talk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento