Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 09:05 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
The "both sides do it" argument is believed by those who cannot recognize and understand the difference between the two sides and yes, there is a distinct difference in philosophies and values between them.
I totally recognize the differences and values of each side. And the strength of their beliefs and philosophies which leads to the “I am right and they are wrong” attitude that is so blatant in their rhetoric. I guess I just look at issues from a very pragmatic angle which is very different from the ideological angles the far right and far left have. I have very good friends at both ends of the spectrum and yet we stay friends. I respect their beliefs even though they don’t align with mine in some cases. But I do have a hard time with those not willing to even open their minds as to why others see things differently and be accepting of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 06:28 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,586 times
The opioid crisis has really taken away the methy feel from a lot of the foothills towns we've all grown to know. Now some places seemed to have transformed into more of a junkie vibe.

Old 12-29-2020, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,480 times
Ha Ha! That was exactly my "stereotype" of the Sierra Foothills, frankly (methy and repub). Glad to see there are more liberal leaning/ recent "blue" areas. We are thinking of moving "back" to CA, from Austin, TX when kids leave for college (used to live in Oakland and San Jose). But, not sure what the better investment would be since Austin is still continuing its boom. We thought we were on the tail end of it when we moved here in 2011, but Californians and really people from all 50 states keep pouring in! With all the tech companies relocating from Silicon Valley to ATX, we might just stay for the investment side argument.

But, I do long for the Sierra foothills, mountains, weather, and proximity to world class SF (culture, museums, etc)...something that Austin is still building. Not to mention, that summers in ATX are HOT and stifling!

Old 12-30-2020, 04:56 AM

78 posts, read 63,721 times
Not reading any previous responses. I like Foresthill and Auburn a lot. foresthill is remote, you have to cross a bridge, some windy roads to get there but the views are gorgeous. Lots of dense trees and neighborhoods with cabin type homes with big windows and views of canyons and the north fork American River. Lots of wild animals to be spotted. Bobcats chilling in your front yard. Nice people. Never noticed any type of political slant there or meth (???) Just people looking to get away from suburbia yet still live close enough if they need to get into Auburn or down the hill to Roseville. They do get snow and lots of power outages as trees get knocked down during storms. A generator is handy.

I love Auburn. Never thought of the area as republican leaning at all. Or methy. A cool quirky town that’s just a quick drive to more suburban areas like Roseville. Nice drive down Auburn Folsom to
Loomis and Granite Bay. closer to Tahoe. Quick drive to grass valley and Nevada city. Cute downtown. Lots of skiers, snowboarders, runners, health conscious people.

Old 12-30-2020, 02:54 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,837,174 times
Still trying to see the connection of crystal methamphetamines' use and republicans...

If anything, I would associate drug use with democrats.

I'm baffled....

Old 12-31-2020, 01:16 PM

4,605 posts, read 2,999,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Still trying to see the connection of crystal methamphetamines' use and republicans...

I'm baffled....
The OP might not have been suggesting that the two are related,
only that he / she wanted to steer clear of both.

Old 12-31-2020, 04:07 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post

I'm baffled....
The areas with a lot of meth use tend to mostly rural, or in some cases suburban. During a recession they also seem to be the hardest hit with unemployment. Redding, Fresno, Bakersfield and Kern County have had a high rate of meth users for a long time. I don't think it's an absolute correlation, Orange county is 'reddish' and doesn't have any significant meth issues & Washington State has a high rate of meth use and it's blue. But the fact is that red states tend to have more drug (meth and heroin)use than blue states & red areas within a state seem to have a bigger meth problem than blue areas do.

This article lists the top 10 'meth' states and out of 10 only 3 are blue; Washington, Minnesota and New Mexico. https://www.kait8.com/2020/02/21/ark...e-study-finds/

Old 12-31-2020, 04:29 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The areas with a lot of meth use tend to mostly rural, or in some cases suburban. During a recession they also seem to be the hardest hit with unemployment. Redding, Fresno, Bakersfield and Kern County have had a high rate of meth users for a long time. I don't think it's an absolute correlation, Orange county is 'reddish' and doesn't have any significant meth issues & Washington State has a high rate of meth use and it's blue. But the fact is that red states tend to have more drug (meth and heroin)use than blue states & red areas within a state seem to have a bigger meth problem than blue areas do.

This article lists the top 10 'meth' states and out of 10 only 3 are blue; Washington, Minnesota and New Mexico. https://www.kait8.com/2020/02/21/ark...e-study-finds/
It is because drug use is not a political thing. It is a mental issue and gets worse.

Old 01-25-2021, 05:56 PM

732 posts, read 390,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Nevada City
The higher-than-it-used-to-be number of non-Republicans implies more meth than you'd think.

Lots of homeless enablers. Lots of homeless problems.

Old 01-29-2021, 04:49 PM

22 posts, read 23,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmillian View Post

But, I do long for the Sierra foothills, mountains, weather, and proximity to world class SF (culture, museums, etc)...something that Austin is still building. Not to mention, that summers in ATX are HOT and stifling!
You might be in for a bit of a disappointment. It's gotten hotter and drier, and the past 4 summers have been replete with fires that leave the air unhealthy and unbreathable for weeks. And the traffic has increased the drive time to the bay area significantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento