Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 10:27 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ozo View Post

I will give this, I'm tired of touring bands skipping Sacramento and just hitting the Bay Area, which has been going on since the beginning of time. Then they always stop and play Portland. Sacramento and Portland are almost the same Metro Population.
I will get on that complaint bandwagon. Most bands do quickly skip us and head to Oakland and/or SF, particularly the ones I want to see. It's no secret--if Sacramentans really want to see a show, we'll drive to Oakland for it. I guess that's also the upshot. If you live in Omaha and you're tired of your favorite band coming to town, your only recourse might be to drive 7 hours to Chicago, but if you live in Sac, you can get to the Oakland Fox Theater in 80 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 07:28 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I'm having problems with the words "no" and "nice" as sfgirl is using them. To say Sacramento has "no" culture implies that there are no art galleries, no plays, no music, independent film, festivals, public events, museums, or other cultural amenities at all. Now, of course, this isn't true, so saying that just implies that the speaker hasn't bothered to take the time or effort to find any of them--it's a statement of their own ignorance, not of fact.

Now, does Sacramento have less of those things than, say, San Francisco or New York? Sure. But there's a difference between having less of something and having nothing. Let's take mountains, for instance--in this case, Mount Whitney. I think most people would agree that it's a mountain. Its total prominence is about 10,000 feet, with a peak 14,000 feet above sea level. However, sfgirl101 might disagree. When compared to other mountains, like Mount Everest, Mount Whitney can't even compare. Mount Everest is #1 in the world for height and prominence--Mount Whitney isn't even in the top 50. Which must prove pretty disappointing if sfgirl101 went mountain climbing on Mt. Whitney and assumed that, because it isn't the tallest mountain in the world, there is nothing there to climb.

The "nice" thing is a little more subtle. In this context, I'll assume that "nice" means "rich." Sacramento's restaurants and farmer's markets and art galleries and museums aren't "nice" because they aren't completely curated, boutique affairs where you aren't likely to see anyone who isn't well off unless they are working there, and maybe not even then. If you're not comfortable with a place that is a bit rough around the edges, and seeing people from different economic strata (in other words, real diversity) then Sacramento might not be the right place for you.

Nobody is trying to sell Sacramento as a one-for-one substitute for San Francisco or New York. We're just not that big or energetic a city, and should not feel obligated to be one--neither are we a small town or a farm town, but that's another post. If the nonstop hustle and bustle of major-city life is what you really really like, you aren't going to find it here, and nobody thinks you will anytime soon except maybe a couple of boosters who are convinced the skyscrapers will shoot out of the ground right after the first tip-off at the K Street arena. If you're really into surface and appearances and want a to live in a boutique city where you won't risk encountering people of different socioeconomic classes, again, we may not be the place for you. The closest thing you'll find is Midtown, and it's a whole different sort of experience. On the other hand, if what you're looking for is a highly walkable place with tree-lined streets, a great place to bike with a lot of sunshine and a relatively laid-back attitude, plus relatively affordable rent, then it might be the right place for you. If you expect to sit back and let the city entertain you, rather than occasionally having to go find it (or create it) then not so much.

And while (as mentioned in another thread) we aren't part of the Bay Area, the drive or train ride from Sacramento to the Bay Area (or the mountains) is actually shorter than a lot of people in Los Angeles have to drive just to leave Los Angeles. Part of why Sacramento is located where it is, is because we're in the center of a lot of amazing stuff and we have easy access to it. There is really no need to try to out-San Francisco San Francisco, because hey, San Francisco's right there and if you want, you can eat breakfast in Sacramento, lunch in San Francisco, and if you hit the freeway at the right time you can have dinner in Tahoe. Plus, even if San Francisco slid into the sea and Sacramento became northern California's cultural capital, we still wouldn't be next to the ocean (unless they slid into the sea really, really hard) or the mountains (ditto.) We are under no obligation to be all things to all people--and we are under no obligation to meet up to the expectations of people who expect every city to be Manhattan.

THE ANSWER if only she would listen.........

Old 03-09-2016, 10:42 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
THE ANSWER if only she would listen.........
Two years ago...

Old 03-10-2016, 08:20 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,548 times
I think the fact that you visited and did not like it here says a lot. I find that if I want to live in a city, I have an instant connection on the first visit. It's like dating. I find the city charming, visually appealing and a gopd culteral fit. I liked Sac right off the bat for many reasons, and reserved an apartment the same day. But I was also coming from a much smaller bay area suberb. For you it appears you perceive Sac as a step down.

I will say, I have met people from Chicago, New York, San Francisco you name it who have moved here and LOVE it. It always surprises me when they tell me, "nah, I like Sac better". In fact, I just met a girl from Miami who said she prefers Sac over Miami and will not go back. So, there is precedent for people liking Sac after luving in "better" cities.

Sac is not a city you are going to find visible action, clubs, etc. I loved Sac because I saw mom and pop stores everywhere; bars, clothing stores, restaurants all tucked away in alleys, Victorians, etc. That's why I love Sac. I was looking for that sort of thing as opposed to a "strip" that jumps out at you. If you are looking for the latter or do not want to take the time to get to know the city, it probably is not your place.

There's actually a lot going on here and it's easy to meet people. And extremely walkable. We just had several blocks closed down for food, beer etc. It's warm 8 mo out of the yr, and people are out and about. You will not figure this out though unless you move. It may not be your cup of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento