Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 09:39 PM

659 posts, read 1,166,545 times

Advertisements

eeeek just saw a pic with snow in Tucson, deal breaker

haven't ruled California out just thinking maybe AZ needs to be a 2-3 years segue enroute to CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 11:46 PM

8,680 posts, read 17,197,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnityJAX View Post
Year round warmth and sunshine. Grew up in Colorado and absolutely love the 300+ days of sunshine. winter were awesome too and the cold didn't bother me at all then.

2500+sqft...Hubby and I plus grown kiddos are all over 6ft and anything else make me feel claustrophobiv=c though I know I need to get over this it's just my hang up for now. I like the rents in Phoenix becasue we could rent a house large enough for guest and moving in mother if necessary plus keep up with current mortgage until the market shifts a little more.

Excellent schools, which I know is relative, or a great home school community.

Easy access to the beach, which I know rules out AZ but monthly trips to Santa Monica (6 hours away) would be an awesome compromise and I rather the once a month road trip then 2-3 hrs per day commuting for the both of us while working to afford life in California and still to busy or tired to make it to the beach.

I'll have to look into Tucson. BUt yes I've heard Phoenix is boring all my California connections tell me to avoid it. But we are rather boring too. Just need a place to warm up, think, breath, create and grow into our passions.
Year-round warmth and sunshine? Have you considered Mexico?

Sacramento winters are nothing like Colorado. About once every 20 years we get a quarter-inch of snow, that's about as extreme as Sacramento summers get, and Sacramento actually gets more sunny days per year than Phoenix. Cost of living in Arizona is a little lower than California, but so are salaries.

There are 2500+ sf houses in California, and Sacramento's are less expensive than any of California's other major cities, except maybe Fresno. Why would you have a 2-3 hour per day commute in Sacramento? Average commutes here are more like 30-40 minutes. And we're 90 minutes from the ocean.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:53 PM

Hmmm I was allowing for 60-90 min each way based upon living in Sacramento but possibly needing to work in the SBA like Marine or Oakland or something like that. I used mapquest a whole back mapped some of the affordable subdivision like in the Nocatee area I think... it'ds been a while though.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:18 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,538,483 times
OK, I'm confused. Sacramento might be too cold but Colorado was not? I might be moving to the Sac area myself this year, but let me suggest a town in SoCal I used to live...Temecula. Summer temps are about the same but winter temps will be a bit warmer. No place in CA is truly t-shirt warm every day of the year. You know that, right? I've had to wear a light jacket at times even when I lived in San Diego. CA is not FL. The only place that truly has great temps all year is Hawaii. I lived there too. It was the only place with t-shirt weather every day of the year. It was never too hot and never chilly.

But let me elaborate on Temecula a little bit. It's one hour to downtown San Diego, 90 minutes to LA, and 40-45 minutes to the beach (Oceanside). It has 34 wineries and counting. Whether or not there are any jobs depends on what you do for work. Worst case is that you commute. Plenty of people did that. Again, there are jobs in close vicinity to Temecula too. Every building that isn't a residence is a place of work. I have to point that out because too many people say "no jobs" without taking into consideration what a person does for work. Temecula has good schools, low crime, and was a GREAT family town. We moved away to see more nature and green. We might move back there this year if we can't find a similar place around Sacramento. I want to be closer to lakes, rivers, and mountains which is why I'm looking at the Sacramento area first. If we don't find what we want we'll be heading right back to Temecula. It was really a great town. FWIW, Murrieta is right next to it, has slightly cheaper rents and still has good schools.

Not trying to talk you out of SAC, just trying to offer something other than AZ.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Hmmm I was allowing for 60-90 min each way based upon living in Sacramento but possibly needing to work in the SBA like Marine or Oakland or something like that. I used mapquest a whole back mapped some of the affordable subdivision like in the Nocatee area I think... it'ds been a while though.
Living in Sacramento and commuting to the Bay Area is extremely rare--not unknown, but only a handful of people do it. Not sure what "Nocatee" is. Sacramento is the center of its own metropolitan area, it is not a suburb of the Bay Area like Marin or most of the East Bay and Peninsula.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:02 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,638,937 times
Agreed--the *only* people I know who work in the Bay Area do it as little as possible. One neighbor works in Santa Rosa and keeps an apartment (which is the kind of thing you can do when you're a doctor and your kids are moved out) and another neighbor takes the train for 2-3 very long days a week. My fiance has a colleague who goes from Oakland (where his wife works) to Woodland about 4 days a week. Against traffic, but still terrible.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
OK, I'm confused. Sacramento might be too cold but Colorado was not? I might be moving to the Sac area myself this year, but let me suggest a town in SoCal I used to live...Temecula. Summer temps are about the same but winter temps will be a bit warmer. No place in CA is truly t-shirt warm every day of the year. You know that, right? I've had to wear a light jacket at times even when I lived in San Diego. CA is not FL. The only place that truly has great temps all year is Hawaii. I lived there too. It was the only place with t-shirt weather every day of the year. It was never too hot and never chilly.

Not trying to talk you out of SAC, just trying to offer something other than AZ.
Colorado was great when I was 20 years younger...LOL
Two major car wrecks and a dozen birthdays later I am no longer interested in cold weather. I am totally grateful to have my health but now I am in search of an improved quality of life through comfort. Last visited Phoenix and California @ 2 summers ago on a long beautiful road trips. Weather in Phoenix was noticeable hot but tolerable, Grand Canyon breath taking oh and some where along the way I popped into New Mexico, also beautiful but I swear I could here the John Wayne whistle as the sage brush blew across the road. LOL . Topanga, Malibu and Santa Monica were my California stops and absolutely lovely!!!

Old 01-28-2014, 01:01 PM

688 posts, read 1,095,106 times
Quote:
Two major car wrecks and a dozen birthdays later I am no longer interested in cold weather. I am totally grateful to have my health but now I am in search of an improved quality of life through comfort. Last visited Phoenix and California @ 2 summers ago on a long beautiful road trips. Weather in Phoenix was noticeable hot but tolerable, Grand Canyon breath taking oh and some where along the way I popped into New Mexico, also beautiful but I swear I could here the John Wayne whistle as the sage brush blew across the road. LOL . Topanga, Malibu and Santa Monica were my California stops and absolutely lovely!!!
In Phoenix, the first 100 degree day comes in March, and the last one is usually between Halloween and Thanksgiving. 100 degrees and low humidity is tolerable, but when it climbs above 110, and it doesn't drop below 90 at night, Phoenix is unbearably if not dangerously hot for very long stretches. Just be aware of what you are committing to if you move to Phoenix - bad traffic and furnace-like summers.

Winter is great, though; Nov to Feb can't be beat. But there are the other 7 or 8 months of the year to deal with...

Old 01-28-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
"Cold weather" in Colorado means sub-freezing temperatures and multiple feet of snow. "Cold weather" in Sacramento means temps in the 40s and a few inches of rain. If what you want is year-long summer, it's time to buck up and move to southern California...but they get fewer days of sunshine per year than Sacramento.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:50 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,547,197 times
Quote:
Uggggh

So I keep the weather for several cities posted to my hone so I can check on things through the week.

Why am I feeling like Sacramento's winters are still too cold?!?!?!
Like maybe I will be better of in San Diego or LA but gee who can afford those places?

Phoneix is starting to look appealing!!!
If Sacramento winters are too cold for you, so are LA and San Diego winters. Maybe five degrees warmer, but still with rain. Except in severe drought years like this, when we all *wish* we had some rain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento