Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 03:51 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times

Advertisements

Just read this on another local forum & thought I'd share why some people like Folsom so much.

My wife and I are 28 years old and currently own our house in Elk Grove. I have always loved Folsom. Our priorities have been: 3 car garage, 2000+ sq ft, 1/4 acre+ lot, 4 bedrooms, large kitchen. We are now in escrow on a beautiful single story, 4 br 2100 sq ft house on a .3 acre lot with a pool in Briggs Ranch. We are avid wakeboarders, and being 1/2 mile from the lake with our boat is going to be great.

We are very, very excited to be moving to Folsom; especially Briggs Ranch. My wife works in downtown, and I start a new job in Roseville at the beginning of Feburary (10 mile commute). We love everything Folsom has to offer - the running/biking trails, the lake, the restaurants, live music venues, nightlife, great schools, shopping, etc. While relatively expensive compared to Elk Grove, the quality of life is SO much better.

Last edited by caligirlz; 01-03-2014 at 04:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 03:57 PM

42 posts, read 80,329 times
Hey, that's me!

I think Folsom is (in my opinion) the best place for 20-30 y/o's in the entire state... Well, depending on what you enjoy in life. There is a great variety of restaurants/bars/independent businesses, great events like Folsom Live, the pro rodeo, big wake weekend, etc, and great jobs in the area (Intel and others). The schools are some of the best in California (important for late early 30s), and there is no shortage of outdoor activities. Low crime, scenic area, I don't know how it can get much better personally.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouroheight68 View Post
Hey, that's me!
I know. I hope it's ok with you that I posted that. This is the forum I was talking about.

Last edited by caligirlz; 01-03-2014 at 04:11 PM..

Old 01-03-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I know. I hope it's ok with you that I posted that. This is where the forum I was talking about.
I've spent my fair share of time in midtown, but I wouldn't want to live there. A nice sized yard is important, 1/4 acre +, hills, no cars zooming past my house or parked on my street is important to me. Not many other places in California can you get the amenities Folsom offers for 400-500k. Those amenities including, walkable/bikable to restaurants/activities, large lot, 3 car garage, 4 bedrooms, low crime and great schools with lots of outdoor activities literally at your doorstep.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I've spent my fair share of time in midtown, but I wouldn't want to live there. A nice sized yard is important, 1/4 acre +, hills, no cars zooming past my house or parked on my street is important to me. Not many other places in California can you get the amenities Folsom offers for 400-500k. Those amenities including, walkable/bikable to restaurants/activities, large lot, 3 car garage, 4 bedrooms, low crime and great schools with lots of outdoor activities literally at your doorstep.
i love & agree with your prespective. Most people on CD will argue that the suburbs do not have walkable/bikable areas. I live in upper Broadstone and even I can walk/bike to restaurants, stores (including grocery), and activities.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:50 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
How's your walk to work?

Old 01-03-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
How's your walk to work?
It's less than 10 miles, I can ride my bike. Why do you ask?

Old 01-03-2014, 08:58 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
When I lived in Citrus Heights (20 years ago) I lived 3 miles from work, generally commuting by bike. It was generally unpleasant, although I somehow avoided getting hit by a car on my commute for more than a year. I decided it wasn't a good place to spend my 20s and moved to Midtown, and still like it despite not being in my 20s-30s anymore.

Part of walkability includes walking to workplaces. I suppose it's all relative--I don't consider Folsom all that walkable, but other recent posters here more used to New York/London densities considers midtown Sacramento to be empty and unwalkable, and are not comfortable walking around in a neighborhood that isn't crowded with pedestrians. But if you're into large yards, quiet and outdoor activities, or just don't mind driving, walkability may not be your highest priority.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
How's your walk to work?
Personally, I wouldn't want to be that close to work. My commute is 10 minutes. That creates a nice division. I am within walking distance to my doctor, a grocery store, restaurants, the jr college and some shopping. I can walk alone at night, and for me that is a big plus. I can even walk to Home Depot but I might have to borrow a grocery cart to get my supplies back home!!

Old 01-05-2014, 11:24 AM

457 posts, read 1,182,427 times
Quote:
Folsom is great but you pay for it. Of course it's all relative but for most people it's out of reach. Congratulations on your home purchase. I love the Briggs Ranch area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento