U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2014, 01:03 AM
HDL
Status: "Here's to finding common ground" (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: Seek Jesus while He can still be found!
3,090 posts, read 5,854,592 times
Reputation: 8078

Advertisements

Personally, I would pick this area (Roseville) over Sacramento for myself.

Anyways, I saw this home for rent close to the house you like for sale -

152 Nevada Ave, Roseville, CA 95678 is For Rent - Zillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That is gorgeous! Exactly what we are looking for, and a good sized lot too! We are going to have to go look at that, I'm lusting over it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2014, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Sacramento
5,057 posts, read 7,265,560 times
Reputation: 3492
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
Personally, I would pick this area (Roseville) over Sacramento for myself.

Anyways, I saw this home for rent close to the house you like for sale -

152 Nevada Ave, Roseville, CA 95678 is For Rent - Zillow
agreed! That's old Roseville, 2 blocks from Royer Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 08:40 AM
 
Location: la la land
27,180 posts, read 11,349,748 times
Reputation: 19285
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
agreed! That's old Roseville, 2 blocks from Royer Park.
We probably wouldn't rent because that would most likely entail a 12 month lease, but I am really getting interested in Roseville, I guess I never realized they had these super old houses. Right now, we are in the middle of prepping this place for sale and probably can't get away this weekend but hopefully next week we can drive down and take a look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 10:26 AM
 
2,919 posts, read 5,116,275 times
Reputation: 1478
Stockton Blvd looks a little ghetto but it adds a lot of character to the neighborhood, unlike sterilized Roseville. You don't have to dodge that many bullets, at least not as much as Oakland or Stockton, and the hookers and pimps that line Stockton Blvd won't bother you and you have easy access to services if you get lonely.

Last edited by Marka; 07-20-2014 at 03:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 11:10 AM
 
Location: la la land
27,180 posts, read 11,349,748 times
Reputation: 19285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Stockton Blvd looks a little ghetto but it adds a lot of character to the neighborhood, unlike sterilized Roseville. You don't have to dodge that many bullets, at least not as much as Oakland or Stockton, and the hookers and pimps that line Stockton Blvd won't bother you and you have easy access to services if you get lonely.
Hopefully I made it clear in my earlier post that we welcome diversity; except for the cookie cutter subdivisions I never really thought of Roseville as sterile, but I guess I would have to take another look. Sterile is where I live now, a very tightly controlled HOA with fines for leaving your garbage can out on the street and a requirement that you get permission to repaint the exterior of your house and a list of 'approved plants' that you can put in your yard. The whole HOA thing makes me want to vomit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
8 posts, read 9,174 times
Reputation: 40
I wonder if you have taken a look at Hollywood Park in Sac. It fits your budget (300K or so), and if you live close to Freeport blvd, there are tons of options in terms of stores, restaurants, and all kinds of businesses. Houses are built mostly in the 50's and many are around 1200 sq feet. Big lots, and lots of mature trees, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 01:29 PM
 
8,325 posts, read 14,060,906 times
Reputation: 4018
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Hopefully I made it clear in my earlier post that we welcome diversity; except for the cookie cutter subdivisions I never really thought of Roseville as sterile, but I guess I would have to take another look. Sterile is where I live now, a very tightly controlled HOA with fines for leaving your garbage can out on the street and a requirement that you get permission to repaint the exterior of your house and a list of 'approved plants' that you can put in your yard. The whole HOA thing makes me want to vomit.
The vast majority of Roseville is very recently built, and precisely the sort of tightly controlled HOA subdivisions you're talking about. At the heart of Roseville is an older neighborhood, basically a remnant of the funky little railroad town that Roseville was until maybe the mid-1990s, with little Craftsman bungalows and a working-class Mexican neighborhood, along Riverside Boulevard and Vernon Avenue. Many elements of that place have faded away, but there are still remnants here and there in the built environment and the business community, and the railroad isn't going away anytime soon. It's the part of Roseville a lot of posters here recommend against, because they consider the tightly-controlled HOA neighborhoods safer and more comfortable. They are entitled to their opinion, as we are entitled to ours. But that part of Roseville is vastly outnumbered by the HOA subdivisions and suburban malls. For some, that's a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 01:38 PM
 
Location: la la land
27,180 posts, read 11,349,748 times
Reputation: 19285
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznguysac View Post
I wonder if you have taken a look at Hollywood Park in Sac. It fits your budget (300K or so), and if you live close to Freeport blvd, there are tons of options in terms of stores, restaurants, and all kinds of businesses. Houses are built mostly in the 50's and many are around 1200 sq feet. Big lots, and lots of mature trees, too.
no, we haven't looked there but we definitely will. Redfin seems to be the best site I've found for searching by neighborhood so I will see what is listed there, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 01:42 PM
 
Location: la la land
27,180 posts, read 11,349,748 times
Reputation: 19285
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The vast majority of Roseville is very recently built, and precisely the sort of tightly controlled HOA subdivisions you're talking about. At the heart of Roseville is an older neighborhood, basically a remnant of the funky little railroad town that Roseville was until maybe the mid-1990s, with little Craftsman bungalows and a working-class Mexican neighborhood, along Riverside Boulevard and Vernon Avenue. Many elements of that place have faded away, but there are still remnants here and there in the built environment and the business community, and the railroad isn't going away anytime soon. It's the part of Roseville a lot of posters here recommend against, because they consider the tightly-controlled HOA neighborhoods safer and more comfortable. They are entitled to their opinion, as we are entitled to ours. But that part of Roseville is vastly outnumbered by the HOA subdivisions and suburban malls. For some, that's a plus.
Well, we hate HOA's and we hate neighborhoods that have a population that looks 'just like us'. With that said, I do not like neighborhoods where the majority of the population are renters, some are great but too many of them lack the 'vested interest' that makes a neighborhood great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 09:46 PM
 
8,325 posts, read 14,060,906 times
Reputation: 4018
Old Roseville might meet your needs then, home ownership is about 90% in that ZIP code. The city is about 80% white, 15% Latino and about 5% Asian, so less diverse than Sacramento, but if Roseville has a diverse part, Old Roseville is it.

What about the name Del Paso Heights put you off? It dates back to the old Rancho Del Paso, a Mexican land grant that became a very famous horse ranch. Some of the streets in North Sacramento are named after famous racehorses that were trained there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top