Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 10:59 PM

42,745 posts, read 25,916,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
What about the name Del Paso Heights put you off?
To be honest, I can't find very many people recommending it as a place to live, and I am not sure how accurate their data is, but it shows the crime rate at 60% higher than the rest of Sacramento which doesn't make me want to rush right out there and buy a house

Last edited by Yac; 11-06-2020 at 03:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 12:59 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,788,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post

What about the name Del Paso Heights put you off? It dates back to the old Rancho Del Paso, a Mexican land grant that became a very famous horse ranch. Some of the streets in North Sacramento are named after famous racehorses that were trained there.
I'm most familiar with the area on & around Del Paso Blvd/Marysville Blvd. IMO, Del Paso is a wanna be in transition area. They've been trying really hard since at least 2005 when I moved to town to reinvent themselves. They remodeled Del Paso Blvd somewhat. And there are a couple of unique businesses, but for the most part, its a higher crime area. I do think there is potential, but they are going to have to do a whole heck of a lot more to clean up the place.

I think I've mentioned this before, I used to do home visits & audit businesses (for Medi-Cal patients) all over Sacramento, including this area. It was a great way to get familiar with the area.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:51 AM

8,680 posts, read 17,197,096 times
Okay, for some reason I thought it was just the name that put the OP off, rather than the neighborhood's reputation.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:26 AM

Why would a spanish sounding name put someone off? There's tons of these names in california.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:24 AM

Is Roseville noticeably hotter than Sacramento? My husband has started telling me that it is and I think he's talking himself out of us buying a house there. Heat doesn't bother me, I lived in Vacaville for 10 years, 5 without an air conditioner and that place is HOT.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:55 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,323,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I'm most familiar with the area on & around Del Paso Blvd/Marysville Blvd. IMO, Del Paso is a wanna be in transition area. They've been trying really hard since at least 2005 when I moved to town to reinvent themselves. They remodeled Del Paso Blvd somewhat. And there are a couple of unique businesses, but for the most part, its a higher crime area. I do think there is potential, but they are going to have to do a whole heck of a lot more to clean up the place.

I think I've mentioned this before, I used to do home visits & audit businesses (for Medi-Cal patients) all over Sacramento, including this area. It was a great way to get familiar with the area.
I went through or made occasional stops in Del Rosa over the 19 years I lived in Sacramento (1990-2009). I remember it trying hard to rise above its unfortunate but well-deserved reputation. While the main thoroughfare was spruced up and art was added, businesses were on a come-and-go basis; none but some old, well-established ones somehow surviving.

I just looked up restaurants there and the ones we would go to on occasions don't appear to still be in business. My guess is that one - a popular breakfast stop - succumbed to the death of its owner. The other one I recall was an Italian restaurant in a corner, brick building but I think it changed hands after many years in business while I still lived in the area.

As you say, there's potential but it has a long way to go.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Is Roseville noticeably hotter than Sacramento? My husband has started telling me that it is and I think he's talking himself out of us buying a house there. Heat doesn't bother me, I lived in Vacaville for 10 years, 5 without an air conditioner and that place is HOT.
Yes, the suburbs are hotter as they are further from the river & thus delta breeze. I frequently track the temps in the suburbs in the rah rah Sacramento weather thread. Lincoln tends to run parallel temps to Fresno/Visalia. Too hot for me.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Yes, the suburbs are hotter as they are further from the river & thus delta breeze. I frequently track the temps in the suburbs in the rah rah Sacramento weather thread. Lincoln tends to run parallel temps to Fresno/Visalia. Too hot for me.
Thanks but that sucks and means I will have to admit to my husband that he's right. Hopefully it won't be enough to make him not want to buy a house there but I guess we'll see..

Old 07-30-2014, 10:46 PM

We listed our house 2 days ago and have been showing it non-stop. Tonight we got (and accepted) an all cash offer for 2K over asking price. So, we need to find a house. Of course all of the charming craftsman homes in Roseville are sold so unless one turns up we will have to look in other areas, or settle for something else. I doubt whether we can find a home and move into it by the time this one closes (Aug 29th) so we will probably be residents of an extended stay somewhere until we find a house and close escrow on it. I'm excited but it's kind of scary, this forum has been so helpful in giving us some direction as far as various areas but geez..the Sacramento area is big and we still don't know that much about various neighborhoods.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:16 PM

Why don't you rent with either a short term or month to month lease? that way you can relax as you explore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento