Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 12:48 PM

229 posts, read 337,699 times

Advertisements

I see so many posts with people looking for the "best areas" but don't see the follow-up so people don't know how it played out. So, I figured I post 10-things I learned after moving to Sacramento 7-months ago.

1. I learned if you search there's a lot of people in this forum that actually give very accurate details on area and very good advice and some... way off base. Case and point, going to start a new job in Greenhaven I was looking close to work without paying Greenhaven/ Pocket pricing. Instead of mentioning such areas as South Land Park, Hollywood Park, Elk Grove even Tahoe Park some who never stepped foot in areas bashed anywhere South of Sac and told me just move to Roseville, Folsom, or other far off areas and commute. While some might love 2 hour commutes with fast horrible drivers there was no way that was an option nor made sense. Others on this forum who actually lived in various areas guided me away from certain areas using logic and experience and to better options that I ultimately moved to. I found those recommendations to be pretty much dead on and VERY HELPFUL. These were people who didn't hear something second/ third hand but could speak on it. You get to know these ones very fast by their logical and practical advice even while some adamantly disagree with them.

My advice to those moving to Sac from someone who was in your shoes is FIRST search the threads. So many people moving into the area ask the same questions but those answers were already answered previously and answered very well. Yes every situation is different but most want to know best areas, best areas for schools, safe areas, etc. Now if something was different then post and give as much info about you, your personal situation, likes, dislikes, kids, budget, etc so others can give you a more accurate opinion. When you get advice you think you might be sold on you can even look at that persons previous comments on other threads to see if there is some bias or if you can really trust what they're telling you. Nothing though beats actually checking out the areas BEFORE committing then regretting. We made two trips from WA State to Sacramento to view areas both day, night, and weekends. Finally, no matter how much you research... crap happens. We settled in an area that we were content, liked our neighbors, and settled in nicely and going along well until two young neighbors moved next door and across the street 6-months later that are not the best neighbors so sometimes even you find the right fit others can alter the "plan".

2. I used to live in CA then moved to WA State before coming back so I learned how much I did NOT miss tejano, salsa, and other forms of mexican music being blasted from houses. We're talking hear it 5 houses down loud and with the very repetitive beat/ sounds enough to drive you insane! I remember a couple of Family Guy episodes that joked about this. I don't like loud pounding hip hop or rock music blasting either but besides an occasional passing car I don't get that as much as I get the first.

3. I learned too many pet owners in South Sac think of dogs only as guard dogs or outside only property than actual pets. When we moved to the area most in our area looked almost like "what is this strange action of walking a dog?!" Most leave their dogs outside no matter the weather and of course they bark at EVERYTHING all day/ all night. It saddens me to see dogs left outside all the time a very small backyard with no interaction except the occasional change of food or water. No I'm not PETA hugger but one of my biggest annoying things about South Sac. FORTUNATELY in the 6-months of living here we noticed more and more pet owners now walking their dogs we never seen before. One even told me they didn't start until they saw us doing it and thought maybe they should so while a small victory I hope more will increase.

4. I learned there are no perfect/ safe areas, only SAFER areas statistically. We live in a world where even where once thought of as safe are not. I moved to South Sac and was told I would get shot, robbed, or worse and while I'm sure there are pockets that lifestyle might prevalent for the 6-months my neighbors have been salt of the earth except for new neighbors music which even then they have been nice/ apologetic about turning down the music so I try not to bust their chops all the time. They look out for each other, small talk, less pretentious than "better" areas and contrary to some I don't walk around my neighborhood with a bulletproof vest. Friends in Roseville, Greenhaven and Folsom however have had issues I have not experienced (including homicides/ much more thefts) in their own neighborhood so while they have some benefits I like I also have a few benefits they don't. Regarding neighbors, my friend in a good area in Roseville had neighbors on both sides move and replaced with one neighbor who blasts Lynyrd Skynyrd non-stop and smokes 420 while her other new neighbor has parties all the time, smokes 420 and plays Alanis Morissette in her backyard loud every few days. Now no matter which way the wind blows she gets weed smoke if she opens her windows on hot days and cannot use her backyard the way she like. Ironically she was the one who told me that would happen to me if I moved to South Sac, but replace Lynyrd and Alanis for other artists.

5. I learned yes Sacramento drivers are not the best as complained about but every city people think they have the worst. I have friends in East Coast who swear they have the worst drivers, ones in Texas who feel that way and even while in WA State they drove just as fast, aggressive, road rage, etc. However going state to state a lot of people now just don't care about other drivers and selfishly care only about themselves and well being so it's not just local to Sacramento.

6. I learned while there is not a TON of stuff to do here it does provide access to entertainment/ fun activities. Within 7-months of living here we've done pretty much all Sacramento has to offer however going outside we haven't even touched how much there is to do. Plus you can always find new things to do in Sacramento if you're open to new things.

7. I learned the air quality problem mentioned on this forum is real and not a joke. I have asthma and since I've lived here the air quality has given me issues breathing and will keep trying to cope. Most are not affected but I have so far.

8. I learned summers are not as bad as I thought coming in. Yes I know it gets hotter than other places and some are more heat sensitive and I am too but after experiencing the 115 summer temps last year all the over 90+ temps seemed like a piece of cake. Those record breaking temps actually were a blessing in disguise as afterwards getting out and letting my body acclimate so I didn't feel I needed to run from AC to AC. Live in WA State for a year or in the Midwest and you'll appreciate the weather SO MUCH MORE!

9. With Sacramento being so diverse I learned how much I enjoy diversity even more so going to WA State and coming back. I feel bad for those on threads that seem almost scared of diversity. From personal experience I find in a lot of better areas more of a pretentious, rude and shallow vibe as a whole. I found in the areas that some call "ghetto" more salt of the earth people of all backgrounds. Yes there will always be idiots in these areas and sorry there is not enough wine in a box to make me enjoy listening to tejano music but I actually enjoy meeting and talking with people in my neighborhood some outside the area would look down on or judge without saying a word. Rather asian, black, mexican and even russian I've enjoyed learning new things, expanding my thoughts on things and even trying new foods they talked me into that turn out to be favorites now.

10. And finally I learned that as much as I have liked my stay here Sacramento, or CA for that matter, will be ending in 2014. I knew my time here was only a temp situation since I just wanted one last "CA fling" and enjoy the beaches, weather, things to do before officially ending my CA love affair after 15 years. After you get to a certain age you want to slow things down and being originally a Midwest guy I realize now what's most important to me like everyone else has to figure out for themselves. You guys can mock me internally when in January you have 60 temps and I'm back to freezing snow or move somewhere more humid than here.

I hope some of these were beneficial and sorry for the book. Take it as humble advice if you want, or just the ramblings of an older fool. However, when you move or plan on moving to Sacramento make sure you're honest why you want to move and not just make the decision impulsively or thinking everything will be perfect, since it hardly is. If you're moving to just to run from something understand it might eventually catch up so be realistic, listen to advice, budget, research research and STILL hope for the best, and understand IT'S OK if Sacramento is not for you, for many it's not. But... if it isn't then don't berate the entire city since there are wonderful people who I've crossed paths with and some I wish I never cross again but I don't get the HATE for the area from some since my short term experience has been enjoyable thus far and MUCH cheaper than while living in South Bay! While this city is stuck with me for just one last year I welcome all new ones to the city and thank the good ones of this city for giving me more positive life experiences than negative ones so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 01:03 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Well said Michael. Good luck on your 2014 adventures!

Old 01-05-2014, 01:04 PM

399 posts, read 719,824 times
I'm considering Sacramento. I wanted to relocated to Washington State, but for my occupation California seems more viable at the moment. Moving, especially so far makes me nervous. It's that feeling of the unexpected. Thanks for your post. I don't think I could stand the loud music and weed smoke. I have a family with two small children, so I would want a place that is family friendly. Good schools. I'm not rich so I would have start off somewhere inexpensive. I'll take your advice and look at some of the old threads.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:20 AM

48 posts, read 98,577 times
Thank you! I am also considering a move to Sac from NY State and this was very refreshing and helpful for me and my young family! I found very often on these boards judgmental and annoying comments about race, ghetto, etc. and it's nice to hear a viewpoint that may actually be helpful to our move!!!

There are good/bad people everywhere; it's a person's attitude towards their situation that really matters!

Old 01-06-2014, 04:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDante View Post
I see so many posts with people looking for the "best areas" but don't see the follow-up so people don't know how it played out. So, I figured I post 10-things I learned after moving to Sacramento 7-months ago.

1. I learned if you search there's a lot of people in this forum that actually give very accurate details on area and very good advice and some... way off base. Case and point, going to start a new job in Greenhaven I was looking close to work without paying Greenhaven/ Pocket pricing. Instead of mentioning such areas as South Land Park, Hollywood Park, Elk Grove even Tahoe Park some who never stepped foot in areas bashed anywhere South of Sac and told me just move to Roseville, Folsom, or other far off areas and commute. While some might love 2 hour commutes with fast horrible drivers there was no way that was an option nor made sense. Others on this forum who actually lived in various areas guided me away from certain areas using logic and experience and to better options that I ultimately moved to. I found those recommendations to be pretty much dead on and VERY HELPFUL. These were people who didn't hear something second/ third hand but could speak on it. You get to know these ones very fast by their logical and practical advice even while some adamantly disagree with them.

My advice to those moving to Sac from someone who was in your shoes is FIRST search the threads. So many people moving into the area ask the same questions but those answers were already answered previously and answered very well. Yes every situation is different but most want to know best areas, best areas for schools, safe areas, etc. Now if something was different then post and give as much info about you, your personal situation, likes, dislikes, kids, budget, etc so others can give you a more accurate opinion. When you get advice you think you might be sold on you can even look at that persons previous comments on other threads to see if there is some bias or if you can really trust what they're telling you. Nothing though beats actually checking out the areas BEFORE committing then regretting. We made two trips from WA State to Sacramento to view areas both day, night, and weekends. Finally, no matter how much you research... crap happens. We settled in an area that we were content, liked our neighbors, and settled in nicely and going along well until two young neighbors moved next door and across the street 6-months later that are not the best neighbors so sometimes even you find the right fit others can alter the "plan".

2. I used to live in CA then moved to WA State before coming back so I learned how much I did NOT miss tejano, salsa, and other forms of mexican music being blasted from houses. We're talking hear it 5 houses down loud and with the very repetitive beat/ sounds enough to drive you insane! I remember a couple of Family Guy episodes that joked about this. I don't like loud pounding hip hop or rock music blasting either but besides an occasional passing car I don't get that as much as I get the first.

3. I learned too many pet owners in South Sac think of dogs only as guard dogs or outside only property than actual pets. When we moved to the area most in our area looked almost like "what is this strange action of walking a dog?!" Most leave their dogs outside no matter the weather and of course they bark at EVERYTHING all day/ all night. It saddens me to see dogs left outside all the time a very small backyard with no interaction except the occasional change of food or water. No I'm not PETA hugger but one of my biggest annoying things about South Sac. FORTUNATELY in the 6-months of living here we noticed more and more pet owners now walking their dogs we never seen before. One even told me they didn't start until they saw us doing it and thought maybe they should so while a small victory I hope more will increase.

4. I learned there are no perfect/ safe areas, only SAFER areas statistically. We live in a world where even where once thought of as safe are not. I moved to South Sac and was told I would get shot, robbed, or worse and while I'm sure there are pockets that lifestyle might prevalent for the 6-months my neighbors have been salt of the earth except for new neighbors music which even then they have been nice/ apologetic about turning down the music so I try not to bust their chops all the time. They look out for each other, small talk, less pretentious than "better" areas and contrary to some I don't walk around my neighborhood with a bulletproof vest. Friends in Roseville, Greenhaven and Folsom however have had issues I have not experienced (including homicides/ much more thefts) in their own neighborhood so while they have some benefits I like I also have a few benefits they don't. Regarding neighbors, my friend in a good area in Roseville had neighbors on both sides move and replaced with one neighbor who blasts Lynyrd Skynyrd non-stop and smokes 420 while her other new neighbor has parties all the time, smokes 420 and plays Alanis Morissette in her backyard loud every few days. Now no matter which way the wind blows she gets weed smoke if she opens her windows on hot days and cannot use her backyard the way she like. Ironically she was the one who told me that would happen to me if I moved to South Sac, but replace Lynyrd and Alanis for other artists.

5. I learned yes Sacramento drivers are not the best as complained about but every city people think they have the worst. I have friends in East Coast who swear they have the worst drivers, ones in Texas who feel that way and even while in WA State they drove just as fast, aggressive, road rage, etc. However going state to state a lot of people now just don't care about other drivers and selfishly care only about themselves and well being so it's not just local to Sacramento.

6. I learned while there is not a TON of stuff to do here it does provide access to entertainment/ fun activities. Within 7-months of living here we've done pretty much all Sacramento has to offer however going outside we haven't even touched how much there is to do. Plus you can always find new things to do in Sacramento if you're open to new things.

7. I learned the air quality problem mentioned on this forum is real and not a joke. I have asthma and since I've lived here the air quality has given me issues breathing and will keep trying to cope. Most are not affected but I have so far.

8. I learned summers are not as bad as I thought coming in. Yes I know it gets hotter than other places and some are more heat sensitive and I am too but after experiencing the 115 summer temps last year all the over 90+ temps seemed like a piece of cake. Those record breaking temps actually were a blessing in disguise as afterwards getting out and letting my body acclimate so I didn't feel I needed to run from AC to AC. Live in WA State for a year or in the Midwest and you'll appreciate the weather SO MUCH MORE!

9. With Sacramento being so diverse I learned how much I enjoy diversity even more so going to WA State and coming back. I feel bad for those on threads that seem almost scared of diversity. From personal experience I find in a lot of better areas more of a pretentious, rude and shallow vibe as a whole. I found in the areas that some call "ghetto" more salt of the earth people of all backgrounds. Yes there will always be idiots in these areas and sorry there is not enough wine in a box to make me enjoy listening to tejano music but I actually enjoy meeting and talking with people in my neighborhood some outside the area would look down on or judge without saying a word. Rather asian, black, mexican and even russian I've enjoyed learning new things, expanding my thoughts on things and even trying new foods they talked me into that turn out to be favorites now.

10. And finally I learned that as much as I have liked my stay here Sacramento, or CA for that matter, will be ending in 2014. I knew my time here was only a temp situation since I just wanted one last "CA fling" and enjoy the beaches, weather, things to do before officially ending my CA love affair after 15 years. After you get to a certain age you want to slow things down and being originally a Midwest guy I realize now what's most important to me like everyone else has to figure out for themselves. You guys can mock me internally when in January you have 60 temps and I'm back to freezing snow or move somewhere more humid than here.

I hope some of these were beneficial and sorry for the book. Take it as humble advice if you want, or just the ramblings of an older fool. However, when you move or plan on moving to Sacramento make sure you're honest why you want to move and not just make the decision impulsively or thinking everything will be perfect, since it hardly is. If you're moving to just to run from something understand it might eventually catch up so be realistic, listen to advice, budget, research research and STILL hope for the best, and understand IT'S OK if Sacramento is not for you, for many it's not. But... if it isn't then don't berate the entire city since there are wonderful people who I've crossed paths with and some I wish I never cross again but I don't get the HATE for the area from some since my short term experience has been enjoyable thus far and MUCH cheaper than while living in South Bay! While this city is stuck with me for just one last year I welcome all new ones to the city and thank the good ones of this city for giving me more positive life experiences than negative ones so far.
Loved you objective take on living in the Sac area and hope you enjoy your next location wherever it might be. Good luck..

Old 01-06-2014, 10:58 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,565 times
Thanks for following up, which, as you mention, we all wish more people would. Even though it's not a huge city, there are a lot of very different neighborhoods and none of us has first-hand experience living in all of them.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:26 PM

659 posts, read 1,172,952 times
excellent share, thanks

Old 01-07-2014, 07:24 PM

220 posts, read 418,052 times
If anyone can share any opinion on the air quality I am all ears. We have visited Sacramento a few times (Summer and Spring) and have never noticed anything but clear skies. No one in our family has asthma and one of us has allergies that are controlled with liquid allergy drops.

************************QUOTE FROM POST:
I learned the air quality problem mentioned on this forum is real and not a joke. I have asthma and since I've lived here the air quality has given me issues breathing and will keep trying to cope. Most are not affected but I have so far.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:16 AM

578 posts, read 1,294,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1026 View Post
If anyone can share any opinion on the air quality I am all ears. We have visited Sacramento a few times (Summer and Spring) and have never noticed anything but clear skies. No one in our family has asthma and one of us has allergies that are controlled with liquid allergy drops.

************************QUOTE FROM POST:
I learned the air quality problem mentioned on this forum is real and not a joke. I have asthma and since I've lived here the air quality has given me issues breathing and will keep trying to cope. Most are not affected but I have so far.
I never had issues with asthma and allergies (besides some sniffles in spring) before I moved to Sacramento. When I moved, hoo boy did that 180.

Sacramento valley has its own air quality and Spare the Air alerts. Summer can be terrible because nothing moves the smog ... it just stays. When you put that together with the fires that happen all over the place, it's very bad for air quality. You can take a look at historical air data. There are a lot of yellow and orange days (sensitive and children) during the summer with some red days (everyone).

Old 01-08-2014, 02:37 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,565 times
Sacramento is in the top cities worst cities for Ozone, but not for other types of pollution. It's better than much of the rest of the Central Valley, but still can be bad, and totally at the mercy of the rains and the winds. I've never had an issue. Some people move here and hate the air and/or pick up new allergies. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento