Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 12:28 PM

190 posts, read 299,161 times

Advertisements

I just noticed that Sacramento has the worst air quality in California today according to this website:

AIRNow - California Air Quality

How can this be-- more ozone than inland L.A. with 11 million cars & people??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 02:08 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
It has the ignominious distinction of being tied with Bakersfield.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:29 AM

130 posts, read 226,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terranova View Post
I just noticed that Sacramento has the worst air quality in California today according to this website:

Ya I heard about that last week. Apparently I live in the worst zip code in Sac for pollution (95828). The causes for the pollution are pesticides, truck fumes, traffic density, industrial sites. hazardous waste and other toxic factors. There's also a carbon fiber plant here.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:26 AM

sorry to hear. sounds like there's more local sources of pollution. I thought that it was drifting over from the bay area

Old 05-12-2013, 12:10 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vplegend View Post
Ya I heard about that last week. Apparently I live in the worst zip code in Sac for pollution (95828). The causes for the pollution are pesticides, truck fumes, traffic density, industrial sites. hazardous waste and other toxic factors. There's also a carbon fiber plant here.
My cousin just moved from that zip code (she lived on Florin east of Florin/Perkins Rd) to Merced. Kind of odd to think she might have actually improved her air quality situation.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:20 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
It depends on what source you are looking at. Sacramento does not have the worst pollution in California, at least not according the American Lung Association State of Air 2013 http://www.lung.org/associations/sta...t-polluted.pdf

Here's more details about the Sacto region http://www.lung.org/associations/sta...sacramento.pdf

Old 05-12-2013, 06:32 PM

137 posts, read 344,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terranova View Post
Hi. I study air quality, and the short answer to your question is: Weather. It takes some time for ozone to form in the atmosphere. A little wind, a little cloud cover, or even just slightly lower temperature can have a big effect on local ozone levels. It's not uncommon for us to have a worse day than L.A., or vice versa.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:17 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
To paraphrase BB King, if Sacto did have bad air quality it wouldn't have any air quality.

With that said 70% of the valley's bad air comes from the stuff that blows in from the Bay Area. Sometimes weather patterns suck, or blow.

Suck or blow. Opposites that mean the same thing. Like Slim Chance and Fat Chance. American English is funny like that, but I digress. I say this cuz my dtr in law is from Germany. Learning the language.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacramentoBound View Post
Hi. I study air quality, and the short answer to your question is: Weather. It takes some time for ozone to form in the atmosphere. A little wind, a little cloud cover, or even just slightly lower temperature can have a big effect on local ozone levels. It's not uncommon for us to have a worse day than L.A., or vice versa.
Yes, i see what you mean. Yesterday was the first time i checked out this air quality website, and as of right now the worst air is east of San Diego:

Old 05-13-2013, 10:14 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vplegend View Post
But if you're looking at the same source that I'm thinking of, they also factor in poverty, since it's a big risk factor in developing respiratory ailments. So, on the bright side, if you removed the poverty factor, the air itself may not be the worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento