Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 11:33 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times

Advertisements

Sure, knock yourself out. Personally I'd rather have a head cold than a day trip to San Jose, but I don't live in Fresno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 02:41 AM

168 posts, read 240,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnofresno View Post
I can get to San Jose in 2 hours if I had a led foot, so 45 extra minutes makes an easy day trip from Fresno to SF right? Or is 2 hours the limit because chimerque said so? Lol
For the time it takes from Sac to SF you could go from Fresno to Turlock or Fresno to Shafter. (Middle of nowhere above Bakersfield)

Old 07-22-2014, 07:20 AM

306 posts, read 603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
For the time it takes from Sac to SF you could go from Fresno to Turlock or Fresno to Shafter. (Middle of nowhere above Bakersfield)
You're not getting to any of those places in an hour and 5 minutes from Fresno.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Sure, knock yourself out. Personally I'd rather have a head cold than a day trip to San Jose, but I don't live in Fresno.
Why would you rather have an head cold then make an EASY 2 hour day trip?

Old 07-22-2014, 10:31 AM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Or is 2 hours the limit because chimerque said so? Lol
If it's 2hours or under, it's allows for more hours of enjoyment in the destination city or place, and on your way back, less stress.

If it's 2hours or under, we(partner and me) are more likely to make that Day Trip more often, more Day Trips per year or month.

When we go to SF, we try to leave before 9am on a weekend, the early the better, less chance of heavy Traffic, and try to leave after 8 or 9 pm, less chance of heavy traffic. If we stay after the bars close or just hanging super late with friends, like after 2 in the morning, at least we know it's only a 1hr 15min trip, instead 3 or 4hours. When we stay that late even just an hour seems like too much.

So for Fresno's 3hr one way trip to SF, or 4 hrs to LA seems a bit much for my tastes.

Sacramento is 3hours from Monterey and 3hours from Mt. Shasta - Are they doable as Day Trips, Yes, but not preferred, rather make that a night-over or two nights.

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-22-2014 at 10:52 AM..

Old 07-22-2014, 10:35 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Why would you rather have an head cold then make an EASY 2 hour day trip?
It's likely more about the destination than it is about spending a couple of hours on a day trip. I used to go to San Jose from Sacramento for business-related day trips and overnights and spent one five-day period there for a conference my office put on. Knowing the way to Jan Jose did not make it a place I would care to visit but for, perhaps, touring the Winchester Mystery House. Short of that the city leaves me flat. That's simply my personal opinion. Now if I was a tech geek I'd likely think it the closest place to Heaven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I take everything anyone on City-Data says with a grain of salt, and I take everything Chimerique says with a five-pound bag of rock salt--we have been known to have our differences on a great many issues.
I'll see your 5# and raise you another five!

Old 07-22-2014, 10:58 AM

I don't take everyone's comments with a grain of salt on city-data, some people actually take the time to give accurate info, instead making comments from when the lived here last decade or purely from their owned biased point of view, or because they simply don't like somebody

Old 07-22-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Some people also might consider making a day trip to the San Jose area for the following attractions: San Jose Sharks hockey (only NHL team in northern California); SF 49ers football soon enough (new Levi's Stadium opening for 2014 season in Santa Clara), and Great America Theme Park in Santa Clara for families. Some of the hockey fans go to San Pedro Square for its eateries and a few bars within walking distance. The Britannia Arms Pub usually gets a decent crowd and there is a new Cuban restaurant I may try next time I am in DTSJ. I also have a few friends and relatives there.

I would also recommend the Mountain Winery Concert Series in the hills above Saratoga. That would have to be done by car of course. I have been there twice to see Chicago and Huey Lewis and the News perform there. Very nice views of the valley can be had from there. My favorite venue for concerts. Would be a worthwhile day trip! Downtown Los Gatos and Saratoga can be explored before the concert if you left early enough...easily the most scenic and charming towns of Silicon Valley IMO. Mountain Winery :: 2014 Concerts

Inside tip for the chic and sophisticated types: Larry the Cable Guy performs on October 3. There are some rednecks that can't afford his ticket price these days. LOL!!
Thanks for the info, I love that area especially Los Gatos and Saratoga, never heard of Mountain Winery Concert Series. My buddy who was born and raised in Santa Clara, lives in Sunnyvale, is always clueless about stuff like this, I have tell him about these things.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
If it's 2hours or underbusiness, it's allows for more hours of enjoyment in the destination city or place, and on your way back, less stress.

If it's 2hours or under, we(partner and me) are more likely to make that Day Trip more often, more Day Trips per year or month.

When we go to SF, we try to leave before 9am on a weekend, the early the better, less chance of heavy Traffic, and try to leave after 8 or 9 pm, less chance of heavy traffic. If we stay after the bars close or just hanging super late with friends, like after 2 in the morning, at least we know it's only a 1hr 15min trip, instead 3 or 4hours. When we stay that late even just an hour seems like too much.

So for Fresno's 3hr one way trip to SF, or 4 hrs to LA seems a bit much for my tastes.

Sacramento is 3hours from Monterey and 3hours from Mt. Shasta - Are they doable as Day Trips, Yes, but not preferred, rather make that a night-over or two nights.
Well that sucks for you. A night-over just for Yosemite or Monterey?
If you were in LA, your day trip wouldnt even get you out of the sprawl.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:34 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I don't take everyone's comments with a grain of salt on city-data, some people actually take the time to give accurate info, instead making comments from when the lived here last decade or purely from their owned biased point of view, or because they simply don't like somebody
Clever and ingenuous since "last decade" sounds ever so much worse that "going on five years ago."

Being a military brat and spending quite a few years in uniform myself from the mid-60s until 1979 it was difficult to think of various places as "home" since they were constantly changing. I envy those who spent most of or their entire lives in one location. They were afforded a sense of security and equally as important, a sense of place. My wife, also a military brat and at one time married to a serviceman had much the same dilemma. However, she considers Sacramento both her childhood as well as her adult home. I could only claim it for the latter and what I thought of as my childhood home was in Newport Beach. We are both, however, native Californians thanks to Uncle Sam.

My three adult daughters and her two adult daughters all live in and around Sacramento so what happens there, or doesn't, is always of interest, and sometimes concern, to us. Add-in seven grandchildren, one on the way and a great grandchild and we have a vested interest.

It is for these reasons that I really dislike seeing Sacramento trivialized by - as I see it - vapid threads. That they're repetitive and reminiscent of cheer leading reminds me of junior high school blather. But I suppose that could be just me. YMMV.

As to the matter at hand, decidedly Sacramento if, for no other reason than I believe the air quality, while not great, is better. It is in the valley after all.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 07-22-2014 at 05:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento