Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,820 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move with my children, 9 and 12, to the Sacramento area from Takoma Park, MD (close-in DC suburb). Like many people in the forum, I am looking at communities and schools that will work for my family and I have read many of the posts. Is there anyone out there who is familiar with both areas that could help me get a better sense of the Sacramento options? We love Takoma Park and would be happy to find a similar type environment - progressive politically, diverse in terms of race/ethnicity/GLBT, quality schools, with folks that are invested in their local community. We need an area where all three levels of public schools are good. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 11:00 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,640,140 times
Will you working? If so, where? Rent or buy? Do you have a price range in mind?

I'm not familiar with Takoma Park, but from your description it sounds like you might find your way to Davis. Very involved and progressive. It's relatively small (~60,000?) and surrounded by ag land (ie, not exactly connected to the metro area), but only about 15 minutes from Sac. It's also a college town, which brings with it a lot of cultural activities, smart people, and, of course, countless Thai food restaurants. It's about the most bike-friendly place in the US (literally). Average home prices are about as high as you can find out here (except a few fancy areas). I think the average single family home price last year was >$500k. It's a bit insular--people in Sac always joke about the "People's Republic of Davis" due to their progressive politics, no-growth NIMBY-ism (hence high house prices) and their seeming ability to lavish attention on small issues. Connects to Sac via Amtrak commuter train and bus.

Folsom is also a very nice suburb that has its own community and downtown. Connects to downtown via light rail, which is a plus.

If you're working downtown, have a look at the upscale, first ring suburbs in Sacramento, like Land Park and East Sac. Schools in the city aren't universally good, but check the boundaries and perspective addresses. Land Park in particular has good schools for all ages. Also pretty expensive, but a beautiful neighborhood, very community-oriented, and an easy bike ride (or 15 minute light rail or bus trip) to downtown or midtown.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:22 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,239,201 times
Oak Park

Old 02-06-2014, 11:31 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,209,149 times
For schools and a nice suburban area I would recommend the Carmichael area or maybe Folsom area. Davis is a college town, so it is on the liberal side if this is something you would like. I don't think you are going to find anything that would be like Tacoma Park as most of the areas around Sacramento that have decent schools are going to have a more contemporary feeling. You will not get the old charm that exist in the DC/MD area.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:05 PM

762 posts, read 2,020,868 times
I agree with ryuns... Davis is closest thing I could think of or perhaps fair oaks

Old 02-06-2014, 02:38 PM

8,680 posts, read 17,203,538 times
Looking at a Google Maps street view of Takoma Park--cute neighborhood! Geographically and architecturally, you might find Land Park or East Sacramento to be very familiar in neighborhood scale and feel, scoring high on progressive politics and neighborhood diversity, and with close proximity to downtown Sacramento if that's where you will be working.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:54 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,958,994 times
Look at the school rating maps. When you are in the city, it's easy to find highly rated Elementary schools, harder to find highly rated Middle schools, and even harder to find great High Schools. School Rankings for the Sacramento metropolitan area, California

You may read or hear that California has Open Enrollment meaning your kids can go to school anywhere. Buyer beware, the law allows it but that does not mean that the school you want has availability or policies that will allow a transfer. ALWAYS call the schools and ask if your child can attend before deciding on a home.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,820 times
Thanks for all of the helpful responses! I thought Davis might be a good fit, but my (potential) job is a little bit northeast of Sac, so worried about the commute. I will check out the other locations.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:24 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,640,140 times
Hmm. Northeast of Sac would probably make a rough commute from Davis but might not be a dealbreaker. You might prioritize East Sac, Fair Oaks, and parts of Carmichael and Arden.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:10 PM

8,680 posts, read 17,203,538 times
Northeast is a bit tougher. Generally, as you go northeast, the neighborhoods get less ethnically diverse and more politically conservative, especially once you hit Placer County and the foothills, but school ratings go up overall. Seconding Ryuns' recommendations. Arden-Arcade might be a good compromise, but take a close look at the portion of the neighborhood--they range from large, well-kept homes of the wealthy with horse property and proximity to private country clubs and recreation areas, and some rather run-down commercial corridors and neighborhoods in rough shape, largely because they have no city government to promote that "investment in the local community."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento