Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 11:08 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I will have enough money saved up for a down payment, closing costs and points on a home purchase. I can afford a home up to $200K. Is it possible to get something decent for that price? A home or condo.
The closer you get to the central city the higher prices get--a small "fixer" in Midtown or tiny condo starts at $200-250K, and the nicer suburbs within biking distance can be just as expensive--but if you get a job downtown (and a large percentage of regional white-collar jobs are downtown) the savings in transportation costs can make the more expensive homes worthwhile. I assume that you'll want to come out and rent for a while before buying--home purchase is as critical a decision as employment, and the style of Sacramento neighborhoods varies widely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 02:19 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Is Sac one of those places where there is annoying traffic congestion everywhere you go, even during weekends? You know....parking lots being packed everywhere, heavy traffic volume in general, etc? I can't stand traffic.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:45 PM

6,900 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
Is Sac one of those places where there is annoying traffic congestion everywhere you go, even during weekends? You know....parking lots being packed everywhere, heavy traffic volume in general, etc? I can't stand traffic.
One of those traffic lists came out recently. I think we were 42 out of 50 or 100, sorry can't remember. Point is most of the larger major metros were a lot worst than us.

The traffic is not a problem at all most days. I'll look for this list.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:53 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
Quote:
I will have enough money saved up for a down payment, closing costs and points on a home purchase. I can afford a home up to $200K. Is it possible to get something decent for that price? A home or condo.
Probably in the older neighborhoods. Definately in the less desirable neighborhoods. Perhaps you could define "decent" and the vultures....I mean forum members....will have a better idea of how to respond.

Quote:
Well, this is a common complaint about Sacramento. We are considered by many to be a midway point to the bay area, and Tahoe, so there is lots of traffic. Whatever you do, make sure you live close to your job. Otherwise, you are going to get really tired of the traffic. I've also heard many people complain about the rude drivers. This always turns into a debate as to which city's drivers are the most rude, but, it certainly does exst here.

You should come out for a visit and check all this out.

Last edited by caligirlz; 03-16-2014 at 03:13 PM..

Old 03-16-2014, 03:05 PM

50 Worst Traffic Cities in the U.S. (PHOTOS) - weather.com

Worst cities for traffic:
1. LA
4. Austin, Texas
5. NYC
6. Bridgeport, Conn
8. Seattle
9. Boston
13. Portland

20. Denver
23. New Haven, Conn
27. Hartford, Conn

36. Sacramento
50. St. Louis

Forbes list puts us at #42.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
50 Worst Traffic Cities in the U.S. (PHOTOS) - weather.com

Worst cities for traffic:
1. LA
4. Austin, Texas
5. NYC
6. Bridgeport, Conn
8. Seattle
9. Boston
13. Portland

20. Denver
23. New Haven, Conn
27. Hartford, Conn

36. Sacramento
50. St. Louis

Forbes list puts us at #42.
Yes...right now I live in the Bridgeport, CT metro area, so we have the 6th worst traffic in the nation. It's truly atrocious. Even today, Sunday, I was went for a quick drive to a store and had to take I-95 and there was stop and go traffic. It's disgusting and one of the reasons I can't wait to move out of this area.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:20 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
Quote:
It sounds like a great place for me, except for the cow town thing. I'm just not into country music, cowboy hats and all that stuff.
I've never noticed that about Sacramento. Perhaps you see it more in the rural areas surrounding Sacramento. I've had friends tell me that 30-40 years ago, Sacramento was very much like some of the central San Joaquin "cow towns." I think the cow town thing is more of an insult directed towards the anti-growth folk.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:21 PM

Good Luck nep321!

There are plenty of informed folks in here who can help with real estate questions. I likely will not be in City-Data for awhile, but I'll check messages, you can PM me if desired.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Good Luck nep321!

There are plenty of informed folks in here who can help with real estate questions. I likely will not be in City-Data for awhile, but I'll check messages, you can PM me if desired.
Thanks for your help! Realistically, I would probably save more money first, then buy a home for like $250K. I'm sure something decent can be purchased for that, for a single person.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:18 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
Quote:
People complain about how bad the traffic is here. Maybe I'm not the best observer because I walk to work and am not stuck in traffic every day, but compared to traffic in places like Chicago or Los Angeles, Sacramento traffic is like getting a backrub while taking a warm bubble bath.

Last edited by wburg; 03-16-2014 at 09:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento