Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2014, 12:20 PM

15 posts, read 22,704 times

Advertisements

Hi, Looks like we will be moving to Sacramento. Our children may attend the Waldorf school in Orangevale and my husband will work at the 50 and Howe intersection. Could anyone provide a good comparison between Folsom and Fair Oaks or any other areas that we might want to live. I would prefer E. Sac from what I've read but I don't think I can handle the commute.

Someone recently wrote on another thread about the Alice Birney Waldorf Methods school and I'm curious how you enroll. Is it a neighborhood school? If so, how is the neighborhood and anyone know about that schools specifically?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 05:06 PM

256 posts, read 367,216 times
You have to apply during the open enrollment period, which is in the spring. (I think it's already happened this year and people are waiting for their results.) It is not a neighborhood school but one of the magnet schools, which requires a lottery. They also require a campus tour prior to enrollment, and I think there is a parent volunteer requirement, as well.

Open Enrollment - Sacramento City Unified School District

There are a couple of private Waldorf schools in Sacramento: Camellia Waldorf and Sacramento Waldorf.

Welcome » Camellia Waldorf School

Welcome to Sacramento Waldorf School | A Private Elementary and High School in Fair Oaks, CA

That second one is actually in Fair Oaks. The commute to either Alice Birney or Camellia would probably be pretty rough unless you live in the central city area (including East Sac).

Old 03-28-2014, 11:32 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmyanda View Post
Hi, Looks like we will be moving to Sacramento. Our children may attend the Waldorf school in Orangevale and my husband will work at the 50 and Howe intersection. Could anyone provide a good comparison between Folsom and Fair Oaks or any other areas that we might want to live. I would prefer E. Sac from what I've read but I don't think I can handle the commute.
Not sure why the E Sac to Howe commute would be so horrible. It's a really short distance going in the reverse commute direction (heading east). It's super easy. If you can't handle that commute, there is no way you will be able to handle driving from Fair Oaks to Howe (heading west towards downtown). It's way worse as you will be driving with the majority of traffic from Fair Oaks (& all points east) to Howe.

Do you realize that if you live in Fair Oaks, you will have to take 1 or only 2 surface steets (Sunrise or Hazel) to why 50? These are 6 lane surface streets that are slow moving during commute hours. Then once you get on why 50, you will join everyone else driving, I mean, crawling in stop & go traffic towards downtown.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:53 AM

762 posts, read 2,029,902 times
Because if they attend school in ovale then they'll be backtracking. I have a gut feeling that the Phoenix park area would be perfect for you. Very close to the school (and a pretty drive to the school). Otherwise there is amer river canyon, which is lined with beautiful maple trees. Waldorf types generally fit in much better in fair oaks than Folsom (in theory) to be completely honest. There is also the neighborhood directly behind the school that, if you get the right lot, can be situated right on lake natomas. It is true about the horrific surface streets, but the school is located to the interior, and it would be more difficult to commute TO the school, then again to work. That would mean earlier mornings with kids, etc. another reason I would lean you towards fair oaks is that, should your children attend Waldorf high school, you are in the right spot. The Steiner college is there in fair oaks and it is sort of a hub for that community. Just pick the side of fair oaks closer to orangevale so you are decreasing the commute.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:34 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
I looked in that area, but didn't care for it. I do like the builder but not the location & not necessarily the plannedness or similarity of the houses. I'm not a fan of planned developments/ communities. But Phoenix Park is just one of the neighborhoods in that area. there are others that have all different & unique houses.

My point was the commute. East Sac to Howe vs Ovale to Howe is going to be a lot easier. OP thought East Sac to Howe would be awful. As you know there are only 2 major surface streets from FO to 50, and they are jam packed with cars except on off hours. Plus, they will be driving the same direction as the majority of commenters. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I would love to hear what they think of that after they've been doing it for a year.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:59 AM

762 posts, read 2,029,902 times
They have to drive to orangevale though because that is where school is so being closer to work actually makes the commute twice as long, right? Phoenix park is a proper neighborhood? I was thinking general vicinity. Close to bike trail n river on the north east side

Old 04-07-2014, 11:52 PM

15 posts, read 22,704 times
Thanks again for your comments. Very helpful. My husband will be there this week experiencing the drive so we may have some more concrete questions very soon. My husband wants to be able to bike commute to work along the river trail. Our hope is to get a short commute to school in orangevale and easy access to the river so he can ride to work. Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento