Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 06:50 PM

168 posts, read 240,702 times

Advertisements

Just got a fix-it ticket today from the CHP about my tinting. Anyone have any experience with this before?

In LA you can pay an amount to keep your tint, not sure how it works here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 08:49 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,672,801 times
I got one too -- was astonished that car dealers can sell cars with tint even if it's not legal in CA. Anyhow, DON'T pay big $$ to have it removed and DON'T try to scrape it off with a razor blade. Use a fabric steamer as shown in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9vzJDUM5Ag

Depending on how many windows you need to do, it will take you a couple hours. Try Big Lots or other discount stores for the fabric steamer -- I got mine for about $10.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:23 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
Just got a fix-it ticket today from the CHP about my tinting. Anyone have any experience with this before?

Not in LA, not in CA.

from the CHP website;

Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?
The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

1. The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
  2. If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.
The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.
However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:43 PM

815 posts, read 2,698,230 times
Getting window tint tickets is definitely more of a Sacramento area thing. In the course of 9 months I received one from a SPD bicycle cop off J and 10th and a CHP turd off 99 and Fruitridge.
Nothing better for these guys to do I suppose.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:12 AM

815 posts, read 2,698,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post

It's pretty much the same state wide. When you receive the paper ticket in the mail it'll give you two options:
1) Show proof of correction and pay the admin fee (which is around 30.00)
2) Pay the fine (without showing proof of correction). Fines can vary but I believe mine were about 180.00

So it probably will be about as expensive to have your tint removed and put back on but I would wait to see what the fine is.
My tints have always been at 50% which is the lightest tint (other then clear). And it was mainly to provide some UV protection and a bit of shade during the hot Sacramento summers. Even with a tint so subtle, they will nail you for it in Sac as it's an easy source of revenue for them.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:13 PM

527 posts, read 1,323,125 times
I made it 3 years with 20% tint on my daily driver in the Sacramento region until I was pulled over by CHP for a speeding violation on the freeway. Was told that he noticed the tint as I made a right hand turn upon exiting the freeway. I had forgot the tint was on the car and maybe they wouldn't of asked about it had they not seen it. In any case, I was not mad about the fix it ticket because I was after all in violation of the law and aware of it. I pulled the tint off myself after being told by shop that tinted the car it would be 20$ per window to remove (no thanks). Had a local officer sign off and paid the admin fee (less than 50$). If I can get a few years out of it I don't mind the risk, but I know if I get pulled over for anything I would most likely be cited for it again.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:27 PM

168 posts, read 240,702 times
I guess the fees are $178 + admin... so should come in around $198. Definitely a source of revenue though as cops are looking to nail us on the hotter days when windows are up.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:53 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Not in LA, not in CA.
The OP might have been speaking of Louisiana (LA)

Old 10-23-2014, 01:34 AM

87 posts, read 92,716 times
tinting keeps the police from looking into your car, so it hurts there chance of a fishing trip to give you another ticket.

some say it keeps you from seeing others and increases the chance of a collision.

but i do not believe that...as many out there do not look anyhow.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:47 PM

199 posts, read 260,894 times
If you are going to tint the drivers side front and passenger side front as long as you go with a 50% tint or higher then you are less likely to get the tickets. I have people I work with that have had 50-70% tint on the front door windows for many years and have never gotten any tickets. What gets most people in trouble is that they are pushing their luck and going with 20% or darker on the front windows. That just basically attracts the attention of the police. Stay light on the front windows and its rare to get a ticket. IMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento