Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 11:10 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,799,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Hey it's Majin's recycled generic suburb images! But that just demonstrates why "generic suburb" is convenient.

Nick, unless you work for the government or maybe in the legal field, chances are you actually don't work downtown. I'd probably live in the Pocket if I worked downtown, assuming I wasn't making enough to afford East Sacramento or the nice parts of Land Park. Regardless, that's pretty rare. Only about 70,000 people work downtown.
http://downtownsac.org/wp-content/ds...-Livablity.pdf
A "bean counter" rather than an attorney, but yes. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely prefer Roseville over most other parts of Greater Sacto. But yes, the convenience factor is lower for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 11:33 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,031 times
I lived on downtown Boston and also Atlanta for quite a few years. It was very hard to find parking. I actually paid $300 a month for a parking space in a garage a half mile away from where I lived in Boston. Grocery shopping was a real pain. I love living in a place where stores actually have their own parking lots. I live here because it is very nice and affordable. I also don't have to worry about the higher crime rates in larger cities.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:51 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Thanks for the info link, Malloric.

70,000 jobs within 1 mile of the heart of downtown--and 141,000 within 3 miles (which includes Midtown, UCDMC, northern Land/Curtis Park)! Considering that there are less than 900,000 jobs in the entire Sacramento MSA, that represents 8% or 16% of the total workforce in just 3 (or 8) square miles, less than .1% of the metro area, with 1% of the metro population (10% within 3 miles.) That's actually an enormously high job density compared to, really, anywhere else in northern California outside the heart of the bay area.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:35 PM

21,834 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Thanks for the info link, Malloric.

70,000 jobs within 1 mile of the heart of downtown--and 141,000 within 3 miles (which includes Midtown, UCDMC, northern Land/Curtis Park)! Considering that there are less than 900,000 jobs in the entire Sacramento MSA, that represents 8% or 16% of the total workforce in just 3 (or 8) square miles, less than .1% of the metro area, with 1% of the metro population (10% within 3 miles.) That's actually an enormously high job density compared to, really, anywhere else in northern California outside the heart of the bay area.
I don't know, it's pretty high concentration even for the Bay Area. Sac's job/resident ratio is 1.6. While San Francisco dwarfs Sacramento in number of people coming in, (300k vs 100k) it's also a lot smaller (half the size) with a larger population. Bay Area is just way more populous. Job/resident ratio of 1.6 is very high.

Thing is, not much of it is private sector. Sacramento has a huge public sector base, most of it in that 3-mile radius. There's some stuff out in Rancho, but most of the state government is in and around downtown.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:45 AM

528 posts, read 866,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
It's a suberb like all metros have, in every state. Suberbs attract families, corporate types that like the close proximity to a city but can afford a quieter life. If you don't like suberbs, avoid em'.

I have to say, after living in midtown for 6 yrs I began to go to Roseville every weekend for a changeup. I'd relax at the Fountains area Pete's after my workouts. I like the area and Folsom. Not my 'ideal' places, but you have to find the good in any city. Roseville/Folsom is beautuful with great trails, nice restaurants, and some great looking neighborhoods.

Boring people get bored anywhere. No place is going to solve that problem.
I am far from boring.. watch what you're saying fool! Very run of the mill comment that does not tell the truth.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob98LS1 View Post
What were you trying to find and why was it so difficult?

And yes definitely does not sound like the place for you, good thing you don't have to live there.
Perfecto Lounge.

If I lived in Roseville, I'd be in fist fights on a regular basis.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's mostly for people that aren't stupid enough to look at somewhere they know they'd hate for housing. Even Majin could have prevented this waste of time.
Wait who are you talking to here, me or someone else?

Last edited by GoldCountry80; 06-12-2014 at 06:02 AM..

Old 06-12-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
It's funny that people who live in San Francisco and Los Angeles view Sacramento no better than Roseville or Lincoln. They don't even see a difference in the two.
I am originally from Boston area and I can tell you that Sacramento is no worse, if anything traffic is smoother than in Roseville. Roseville is on par with some of the worst East Coast driving I seen in highly populated mall areas. Maybe even worse. Roseville and Sacramento area to some degree has more potential for someone like me to get in trouble than any ghetto I been to in FL. That's no exaggeration. If I am exposed to people all the time here, I would flip out.. that's why I don't go out every day. I have anxiety with all this madness.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
I lived on downtown Boston and also Atlanta for quite a few years. It was very hard to find parking. I actually paid $300 a month for a parking space in a garage a half mile away from where I lived in Boston. Grocery shopping was a real pain. I love living in a place where stores actually have their own parking lots. I live here because it is very nice and affordable. I also don't have to worry about the higher crime rates in larger cities.
I am from MA also. And ya you can say oh this isn't anywhere near as bad as there but last I checked, this is a commie state to the left coast vs MA/NY to the right coast so if you're looking for more laid back, coming to CA North or South isn't gonna matter much. You will be just as stressed maybe more.

Atlanta is like one of the most populated areas away from NYC and Boston, DC that there is, but even then, traffic in Atlanta can't be a whole lot worse than Sacramento area. Maybe the same and if it is worse, can't be like L.A.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:49 PM

21,834 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
Wait who are you talking to here, me or someone else?
People of you demeanor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento