Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 06:00 AM

7 posts, read 10,733 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm doing some research for my son and daughter in law and 1yr old grandson who will be relocating from Australia to Sacramento in about 3 weeks time. They will be arriving with just a few suitcases of personal effects only. My son will be taking up a new job in the downtown area. They will need to rent a vehicle and stay in a hotel when they first arrive but once they purchase a car will be able to begin their search for a proper home or condo to rent. Can you name some areas close to the downtown area or easily accessible to the downtown area where they can begin their search for accommodation. Is their any furnished accommodation that can be rented for perhaps a month near the downtown area that they could rent when they first arrive??
Any advice on solving obstacles they may encounter would be appreciated.
Thanks, in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 09:13 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,996,913 times
I found it hard to get a furnished rental place for short term when I moved here. Perhaps there is more available for downtown area.

A client that needed a couple months fully furnished rental rented through Suite Accommodations 916-781-9161 and was happy. Not only was there furniture, which you can rent from an apartment, but there are dishes, sheets, towels ect available so it's completely ready. They just put her in a regular apartment and brought the rest of the items in. It costs extra, but is providing extra value.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:17 AM

356 posts, read 703,382 times
Try the Cathedral Building, a very nice downtown apartment complex that offers a furnished unit for short-term rental (click on Corporate Housing):

Sacramento Apartments:

Or the Residence Inn downtown across from Capitol Park (pricier):

Downtown Sacramento Hotels | Sacramento California Hotels

Another idea is to search on vacation rental sites such as Home Away, VRBO, or Air BNB. The rate is usually cheaper if you agree to stay for a few weeks or a month:

Sacramento CA Rentals, Sacramento Lodging, HomeAway

VRBO - Sacramento Vacation Rentals

https://www.airbnb.com/s/sacramento-...ire+home%2Fapt

Old 06-16-2014, 04:44 PM

Thank u both, your advice is very helpful.
When my family reaches Sacramento which areas or suburbs are the safest, most pleasant and with easy access to the downtown to look at for permanent accommodation. ?

Old 06-16-2014, 05:02 PM

599 posts, read 1,652,728 times
https://www.airbnb.com/

Old 06-16-2014, 11:43 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,839,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marghuxley View Post
Thank u both, your advice is very helpful.
When my family reaches Sacramento which areas or suburbs are the safest, most pleasant and with easy access to the downtown to look at for permanent accommodation. ?
what's your definition of "most pleasant"? Or "safest"?
Is safe more important than commute time?
How far are is your son willing to travel? Will it be by car, bus or light rail?
Do they have a preferred type of neighborhood? House?
Do they like to drive everywhere, or do they prefer a walkable neighborhood?

Old 06-17-2014, 07:48 AM

Caligirlz, For the last 24hrs I've been investigating all these questions that you just mentioned. Until my son and daughter in law arrive they really won't realise which of these issues is more important than the other. In the bits of readings that I've come across it sounds like those freeways get very clogged at peak hours. I read that there's a light rail from Falsom. Surely this would eliminate the problem of the freeway gridlock on the trips to and from downtown Sac. My son will be working in that downtown area I believe. I noticed some beautiful furnished accommodations available in the Rocklin area....on Craigslist. Tonight I've been trying to work out what Rocklin is like and if their is regular transport (by rail) into downtown Sac. If my son could commute by train or light rail (...I'm not sure if these two terms mean the same thing?) then when they buy a vehicle my daughter in law and their 1yr old son could keep the car during the day.
I think the sort of place they are looking for is just something affordable for a young family and furnished and situated in a neighbourhood that is safe to walk around. I think they were originally hoping they would find this accommodation within walking distance or a short bus ride from the downtown area. Eventually my daughter in law will work too and my grandson will then be in need of daycare or preschool. So in three weeks time they will leave Australia to embark on this adventure. I'm trying to help them get a few ideas about what where to aim for when they get there.
You asked what my definition was of "most pleasant"...in my mind I imagine, grass and trees and parks. Places to walk and take a 1 yr old to that don't require using a car. When I say "safe" I'm thinking of a community without gangs or obvious violence, a place where you can walk during the day or evening without feeling fearful, or being threatened.
House or apartment...either would be fine.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:00 AM

Thank you Mossy, I'm a member of AirBnB too and so I've been exploring this avenue for their first few weeks accommodation. Cheers

Old 06-17-2014, 08:01 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,839,974 times
If your son will be working in downtown and they want walkable, then I suggest they rent in midtown.

I don't believe public transportation from Rocklin/Roseville to downtown is all that great. I believe it is a bus service. Public transportation to the suburbs is limited, and has restricted hours, even light rail to Folsom.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:27 PM

40 posts, read 192,502 times
For longer term, I'd look in land park. Its still very close to downtown, accessible by bus, but a touch less urban and, of course, there's land park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento