Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 09:58 PM

16 posts, read 35,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Hmm! I've been retired for the better part of six years now and I don't think I'm any nuttier today than I was on my last day of work as a senior manager.
Please excuse me. I didn't clarify I really only meant my neighbor and not just anyone retired. "He's retired, so he might be going nuts" can too easily be misinterpreted. Thanks for referring to the Retirement Board here.

Quote:
If and when dementia hits we won't care anyway.
Maybe dementia hits for younger folks too. If you're interested, eating coconut chips or taking 2 tablespoons of organic coconut oil a day can help keep or improve mental alertness. With the highest incidence of Alzheimer's disease now, it's said to be rare for most Americans to eat enough healthy fats foods, which feed and replenish the brain cells. The common desiccated coconut flakes common in supermarkets are better avoided, overcooked and added with plenty sugar. Organic coconut chips or oil can of course be found online. This is one expense very small for preserving our health as much as possible long term, compared of course to doctor and hospital bills. Source: Dr. Mercola.

Quote:
Oh, yeah! I live in a semi-rural area on the shore of a large lake, 22 miles from the nearest town of any note (population 11,000). I also own guns - 2 revolvers, 2 pistols, a .22 rifle and a Mini-14 - and enjoy shooting. Have done so consistently from about age 10. Also carried guns for over 20 years in the military and law enforcement. Even have a permit to carry now should I choose to do so. But when I sport shoot it's at a nearby range, not out back near my house or anyone else's.
I'm glad to hear that, especially with your career. Thank you, sir, for being in the service and serving to protect us who were not in the military.

Quote:
No! In my experience most of us geezers are still in our right minds and make pretty doggone good neighbors.
I have no doubt of that. Curmudgeon, I wish you could talk to my neighbor and suggest to him what has made your retirement enjoyable.

Quote:
Best of luck in your quest for a place to light. My wife is from Sacramento, I lived there for almost 20 years and that's where I retired. You could do a lot worse.
I'm much obliged. To all your happiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
Honestly, you'll do fine most places. For all the sturm and drang in some of these posts (including occasionally my own) about differences among places and benefits and drawbacks, people like you will probably be happy in most places. Find what has the most of what would make you happy and content and move there. Best of luck.
Thank you for your kindness, ryuns. You and other locals certainly help so many readers through those distinctions. It's great to start from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 10:26 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
She's from Visalia, and therefore, not to be trusted.

Quote:
Then I take back what I said about Visalia.

But yes, it was caricature of what Nick was saying, which was, I'm sure, an exaggeration of his own thoughts. But I was merely pointing out that the implication that if you're not in somewhere like Roseville, you put up with crappy city services, few parks, and high crime is just not true. What he's describing sound like North Highlands, as if it encompasses everywhere outside of a few well-to-do 'burbs in the region.
Don't be that way ryuns. I agree with what you are saying. I didn't get that implication at all & I really don't want to go back & re-read it right now. I think it was hydro who came up with the No High vs So Roseville comparison for Antelope. I remember it was hilarious. I can't find the post but maybe you remember.

Edit: found it! antelope... Antelope may be "Roseville South" but by the same token, it is "North Highlands North" Tell me about Antelope please
Sorry Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
I thought she was Slavic (from Eastern Europe and former USSR)?
"She"? I am slavic, 1/4, on my dad's side from Yugoslavia. My heritage is eastern european, and that also includes Russian. But I am born & raised in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five5two View Post
Indeed it works. It's distracting to read fellow posts.
Looks great

Last edited by caligirlz; 06-19-2014 at 10:37 PM..

Old 06-19-2014, 11:16 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
I think we all have acknowledged that "Un-City" is not a good governing arrangement, but Sacramento proper is unique in its wasting of time on issues far beyond the local metropolis. Federalism exists for a reason.
I think this is based on one or two resolutions that were passed years ago and never had anything more than symbolic value, which a lot of cities pass on a pretty regular basis. I think you have the wrong impression on what the Sacramento City Council does with its time. There are plenty of local issues they waste their time on instead.

Quote:
There are people "Waiting for their Man" in North Highlands, to be sure, with more than the "$26 dollars in their hand" (that was 1967, mind you) but they aren't condoned in the way that they seem to be in Sacto proper.
Yesterday a friend who visited North Highlands recently mentioned how shocked he was at the level of street prostitution on Watt Avenue up near Elkhorn recently, even during the daytime. That's something we haven't seen on the streets in Sacramento in decades. I think your personal vision of what goes on in Sacramento is a long, long way from reality.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:44 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Yesterday a friend who visited North Highlands recently mentioned how shocked he was at the level of street prostitution on Watt Avenue up near Elkhorn recently, even during the daytime.
I think I need to investigate this personally

Old 10-23-2014, 01:27 AM

87 posts, read 92,807 times
best CA gun information is here.

Calguns.net

Old 10-23-2014, 12:22 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,307,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I think this is based on one or two resolutions that were passed years ago and never had anything more than symbolic value, which a lot of cities pass on a pretty regular basis. I think you have the wrong impression on what the Sacramento City Council does with its time. There are plenty of local issues they waste their time on instead.

Yesterday a friend who visited North Highlands recently mentioned how shocked he was at the level of street prostitution on Watt Avenue up near Elkhorn recently, even during the daytime. That's something we haven't seen on the streets in Sacramento in decades. I think your personal vision of what goes on in Sacramento is a long, long way from reality.
There are still hookers in out in the daytime in Oak Park, generally near hanging near the bus stops, so I wouldn't say that is a problem Sacramento hasn't seen in decades. Its a problem happening right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento