Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 12:07 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,563,521 times

Advertisements

Can you define "white" first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 06:49 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,136,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
Can you define "white" first?
I think the OP (in this tongue in cheek post) was defining white as Northern European. The OP may want to look south...(no, not south Sacramento) but further south maybe Solvang?

What will people post next. the sky is the limit. We have...

Middle/Upper middle class black neighborhoods in Sac

Middle/Upper middle class white neighborhoods in Sac

Any middle/upper middle class vegan neighborhoods in Sac?

Old 07-04-2014, 11:31 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,264,469 times
People in this forum are silly about the whole matter of where others want to live or don't want to live.

If you want to live in a white middle-class neighborhood the first place to look is where the most where the most white people live who preach diversity. Places like East Sacramento, Land Park, etc., and especially the saints living in Midtown. If you live in these neighborhoods you can listen to your mostly-white neighbors talk about diversity and proclaim they have gay, black, hispanic, and Asian friends, in additon to a few friends who are alcoholics, drug-addicts, severely obese, a gambling problem, or some other self-afflicted problem that, according to them, is the fault of society. You can also listen to them make statements about how people living in places like Carmichael, Roseville, and Folsom are white racists because they don't want to live in neighborhoods with numerous random people dealing drugs, cruising through neighborhood streets playing music so loud it rattles the windows, and urinating on their front steps, and well, just because living an an "urban" environment makes them an authority on all these issues.

Or you can move out to Carmichael, El Dorado Hills, Fair Oaks, Rocklin, or Folsom where your neighbors will not talk to you about these things. In many of the neighborhoods out there people really don't talk to their neighbors at all. In some neighborhoods the neighbors will complain about your dirty car depreciating the real estate values if you don't have time to wash it. I know it all sounds fairly bleak and depressing, because it is. I plan to move some place where I don't have neighbors in close proximity, but if that isn't your thing, some of the neighborhoods I like are South Land Park. Mainly a middle-class White and Japanese-American neighborhood. Many areas of Carmichael are good, but your neighbors will be near, or in retirement. Tahoe Park. I like Tahoe Park because it is an older neighborhood and most people in Sacramento don't have a clue where it is. Some areas of Fair Oaks. You have to actually go out and explore Fair Oaks. Most people think it is entirely upper-class. It really varies by neighborhood. I would avoid the neighborhoods there where the accountants, lawyers and real estate brokers live because they generally don't like neighbors like me because I'm the type of person who does things like repairing my washing machine in the driveway and obstructing their view of the horizon with antennas for my radio hobby. Old neighborhoods in Rocklin and Roseville are OK too. You can go up to Auburn where the whole place is mostly white, but it still depends on the neighborhood. If you aren't careful you simply end up trading non-white ghetto neighbors for white-trash meth-head neighbors. I've lived next to both types and they are both a nuisance to live around.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:08 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,784,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
People in this forum are silly about the whole matter of where others want to live or don't want to live.

If you want to live in a white middle-class neighborhood the first place to look is where the most where the most white people live who preach diversity. Places like East Sacramento, Land Park, etc., and especially the saints living in Midtown. If you live in these neighborhoods you can listen to your mostly-white neighbors talk about diversity and proclaim they have gay, black, hispanic, and Asian friends, in additon to a few friends who are alcoholics, drug-addicts, severely obese, a gambling problem, or some other self-afflicted problem that, according to them, is the fault of society. You can also listen to them make statements about how people living in places like Carmichael, Roseville, and Folsom are white racists because they don't want to live in neighborhoods with numerous random people dealing drugs, cruising through neighborhood streets playing music so loud it rattles the windows, and urinating on their front steps, and well, just because living an an "urban" environment makes them an authority on all these issues.

Or you can move out to Carmichael, El Dorado Hills, Fair Oaks, Rocklin, or Folsom where your neighbors will not talk to you about these things. In many of the neighborhoods out there people really don't talk to their neighbors at all. In some neighborhoods the neighbors will complain about your dirty car depreciating the real estate values if you don't have time to wash it. I know it all sounds fairly bleak and depressing, because it is. I plan to move some place where I don't have neighbors in close proximity, but if that isn't your thing, some of the neighborhoods I like are South Land Park. Mainly a middle-class White and Japanese-American neighborhood. Many areas of Carmichael are good, but your neighbors will be near, or in retirement. Tahoe Park. I like Tahoe Park because it is an older neighborhood and most people in Sacramento don't have a clue where it is. Some areas of Fair Oaks. You have to actually go out and explore Fair Oaks. Most people think it is entirely upper-class. It really varies by neighborhood. I would avoid the neighborhoods there where the accountants, lawyers and real estate brokers live because they generally don't like neighbors like me because I'm the type of person who does things like repairing my washing machine in the driveway and obstructing their view of the horizon with antennas for my radio hobby. Old neighborhoods in Rocklin and Roseville are OK too. You can go up to Auburn where the whole place is mostly white, but it still depends on the neighborhood. If you aren't careful you simply end up trading non-white ghetto neighbors for white-trash meth-head neighbors. I've lived next to both types and they are both a nuisance to live around.
Good post

Old 07-09-2014, 11:11 PM

23 posts, read 29,589 times
Rio Linda

Old 07-10-2014, 04:47 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,638,038 times
Quote:

Being that I visit the city-data forums on a regular basis, I feel like I hear a lot more people talking about how people in these places apparently talk about these things, than I do hearing anything of the type from those actual residents. But I guess I should get out more.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:54 PM

528 posts, read 861,533 times
Quote:

The pro diverse crowd is aware of the problems most other types have brought, but choose to live in their safe haven where they can bring in the few token ones. Some I am sure mean well but their execution is quite off and actually freak out going through a neighborhood with mostly nonwhites or even white dregs of society. And also, Carmichael now has actually become a high crime town and definitely more than East Sacramento. Carmichael still has snobby elements though no question but perhaps could be the Palmdale of this area too with all the housing complexes or Section 8.

As far as moving out to those mentioned towns like Carmichael, EDH, FO, Rocklin or Folsom, its also a double edged sword as East Sacramento, its just more of a pick your poison kind of deal. I'd take East Sac personally over a lot of those towns and suburbs may be 90% white or a little less depending but it doesn't always make it better in the end. East Sac is still low in crime despite the fact theres more liberals and it is a desirable neighborhood to me and the fact theres a brewery and biking options to downtown couldn't hurt it either. Its like pick 2 low crime areas, but pick the poison, uptight white suburbanites or uptight liberals who have Obama stickers, but can be nice to some degree with a touch of snobbery. Also in Gold Country, its not like you get totally away from all that either. Might as well stay toward the city in the end. I prefer the East Sac markets like Corti or Compton Market over Ikeda's also. Ikeda's is even more pricy and that's in Auburn. but yes the fact that neighbors don't talk to eachother in these other towns would be more bothersome in the end than some of these liberals in East Sac. That's my final analysis.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:50 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,779,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
The pro diverse crowd is aware of the problems most other types have brought, but choose to live in their safe haven where they can bring in the few token ones. Some I am sure mean well but their execution is quite off and actually freak out going through a neighborhood with mostly nonwhites or even white dregs of society. And also, Carmichael now has actually become a high crime town and definitely more than East Sacramento. Carmichael still has snobby elements though no question but perhaps could be the Palmdale of this area too with all the housing complexes or Section 8.
Sorry, but GoldCountry80 has a point. Those who preach a phony "diversity" are usually quite contemptible themselves.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:05 PM

107 posts, read 247,184 times
Cityx,

Yes, It would be easier to live next to a closet racist then a blatant racist. But first you have to correctly identify a blatant racist. In example, the OP posted this thread in response to another thread(you might read through this one, as it points this out already), that was for a Black seeking neighborhoods with a black populace. The OP was just pointing out a double standard, which can be argued as being a good idea or not, but it does not mean the OP is racist.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:21 PM

25 posts, read 50,390 times
Yeah, as the OP in the other post, I see absolutely no problem in making the inquiry, as there is a presumption that most middle/upper class neighborhoods neighborhoods have a white majority (based on the sheer numbers of whites vs blacks in this country). I would like to live in a neighborhood where some people look like me. Nobody balks when chinese flock to Chinatown or Poles move to the Polish Triangle, so spare me. There is absolutely nothing wrong with me wanting to do the same, and to do so with those who are similarly situated financially. I suspect that a white person would think twice about moving into an all black neighborhood, regardless of the socioeconomics. At my income level, I would likely find myself in a very white community, if there were no upwardly mobile black communities. (Which is not the end of the world, Ive lived in a majority Jewish suburban community before as the only black household), but making a move clean across country, it would be nice to find some familiarity without having to travel across town, or be fearful of being targeted by law enforcement as being in the wrong neighborhood. (Yes it happens more than Im sure you'd like to believe). And as I stated in my post anyway, I ultimately decided on looking at communities that were diverse and an area that was more bustling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento