Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 07:03 PM

6,898 posts, read 8,267,952 times

Advertisements

Sacramento on average (most of the time), has dew points in the 50's. In the Comfortable range, so much more comfortable than 2/3 the nation.

For this entire summer so far, for only 2 days, Sacramento had dew points in the high 50's, not even 60, and this is when people say Sacramento is "muggy", so by our very limited experience of "muggy" days we have had 2 days this entire year so far. Those 2 days didn't even reach the uncomfortable range.

Contrast that with Texas, which has had dews points in the high 60's and low 70's most of the entire summer so far.

Dew Points
50's - Comfortable
60's - Uncomfortable
70's - Very Uncomfortable

July 19, 5:45pm
Dew Points
Sacramento - 55

Austin - 70 - thats way humid, uncomfortable and muggy
St. Louis - 60 - muggy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 07:16 PM

In short, does Sacramento ever feel muggy? Very very rarely!

In the last 6 1/2 months, Sacramento felt slightly muggy for 2 days.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:54 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
To each his own regarding whether the weather is hot, muggy or uncomfortable on certain days in Sacramento . Sunday night was too hot & humid for my tastes, but for the rest of the week, my late evening walks were met with a cool delta breeze and I was loving the weather again !!!

I am in total agreement that the weather in Sacramento is much better than the south with it's high humidity and bugs and probably better than most places in the US, though I haven't lived everywhere.

The OP's 'Title' was "Does it ever feel muggy or humid in Sac?" and my honest response is "YES" on occasion, it does ! Obviously YMMV !
Yes indeed.

Thankfully, the delta breeze has actually reached Folsom this week.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:50 AM

As usual, Sacramento was NOT muggy:

Last night:
Sacramento - 67 degrees, 54 - Dew point

Dew Points
50's - Comfortable
60's - Uncomfortable
70's - Very Uncomfortable

This morning, 6:30 am, July 20, 2014

Sacramento - 62 degrees, 55 - Dew point

New Orleans - 82 degrees, 75 - Dew point
Austin, Tx - 77 degrees, 71 - Dew point

Old 07-20-2014, 04:40 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Yes indeed.

Thankfully, the delta breeze has actually reached Folsom this week.
Obviously, one prolific poster who believes that posting comparisons with places far away will make Sacramento's weather better - it won't - never heard of acclimatizing. The dew point is 61° right now so I guess we're supposed to be miserable but we're not. There's a nice, gentle southerly breeze, all the windows in the house are open, it's 86°, humidity is 43% and we're perfectly comfortable.

Sacramento weighs-in at 78°, humidity is 51% and the dew point is 59°. You're having some nice, summer weather for Sacto. We just had a lovely week mostly in the 70s. Big deal. We like where we are and that's all that counts. I assume the same can be said for most of you.

Here's a handy link to keep track of things on your own without a bunch of rah-rah and denigrations of other places. National Weather Service Enjoy!

\We keep close watch on the weather because we grow a lot of our own vegetables and have a bunch of flower gardens, potted herbs, etc. Other than that, we know when and where we're comfortable and when and where we're not. What else does anyone need to know unless family and/or friends are in peril or they're planning a move?

Old 07-20-2014, 07:11 PM

Curmudgeion,
Posting facts and actual measurements and comparisons with definitions is useful and accurate. Making biased anecdotal assumptions based on misguided perceptions simply adds to misinformation.

The dew points and numbers are what they are, if it rattles your misinformed beliefs that's on you. No one is trying to make the weather better or worse, rather we are posting what it really is. Not sure why that bothers you.

Has Sacramento been "muggy"? - Very very rarely, Only 2 days out of 6 1/2 months to date has Sacramento had dew points in the high 50's near 60, and that is consistent with the norm for Sacramento.

Dew points in the 50's are considered comfortable, not "muggy".
Dew points at 60 and above are when they are considered "muggy" and uncomfortable; 60 being a lot more comfortable than 70, but still muggy.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Obviously, one prolific poster who believes that posting comparisons with places far away will make Sacramento's weather better - it won't - never heard of acclimatizing. The dew point is 61° right now so I guess we're supposed to be miserable but we're not. There's a nice, gentle southerly breeze, all the windows in the house are open, it's 86°, humidity is 43% and we're perfectly comfortable.
Yep, our local self proclaimed expert. It's rather humorous.
It's been a beautiful & cooler day in Sacto as well; even got some raindrops in Folsom.
Glad you enjoyed your day as well

Quote:
We just had a lovely week mostly in the 70s. Big deal. We like where we are and that's all that counts. I assume the same can be said for most of you.
Yep

Quote:
Here's a handy link to keep track of things on your own without a bunch of rah-rah and denigrations of other places.
lol. It does get rather old doesn't it?

Quote:
Other than that, we know when and where we're comfortable and when and where we're not. What else does anyone need to know unless family and/or friends are in peril or they're planning a move?
I agree, we all have different likes & tolerances. It doesn't make the others experience any less worthy, except in the minds of those who disagree. I always find it funny that those who claim to love diversity, frequently only like it if we agree with them.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Yep, our local self proclaimed expert. It's rather humorous.
So, this person, who ever he is, never called himself an expert, but if you are saying he said so, it must be true. And he's being called prolific, that's a complement.

Now on to the Weather...

It's still not "muggy" in Sacramento 11:30pm July 20, 2014

Sacramento: 70 degrees, 56 dew point

But it certainly is muggy in:
11:30pm July 20, 2014

Austin: 85, feels like 91 degrees, 76 dew point

St. Louis: 74 degrees, 64 dew point

Old 07-22-2014, 11:29 PM

Do we really need 2 threads with you giving the weather report? Geez. Give it a rest. BTW, the expert thing was a joke.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:27 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Curmudgeion,
Posting facts and actual measurements and comparisons with definitions is useful and accurate.

No argument, Chimérique, when it comes to Sacramento, but for the usefulness part, believe it or not, most people can tell when the weather is comfortable for them or not comfortable without endless data. Constantly trying to outdo other places is not helpful. Do you have an issue with Austin?

Making biased anecdotal assumptions based on misguided perceptions simply adds to misinformation.

Personal experience is not an assumption, nor is it misinformation. Your premise is faulty.

The dew points and numbers are what they are, if it rattles your misinformed beliefs that's on you. No one is trying to make the weather better or worse, rather we are posting what it really is. Not sure why that bothers you.

I have no misinformed belief. I have the same access to data that you do, consult it daily where we live as we plant a lot including many of our own vegetables so weather is very important to us. At age 68 I have a lot of experience as well, and the fact that you consider the information to be faulty is misguided.

Redundancy bothers me!

Has Sacramento been "muggy"? - Very very rarely, Only 2 days out of 6 1/2 months to date has Sacramento had dew points in the high 50's near 60, and that is consistent with the norm for Sacramento.

Yet according to you, when I said mugginess was very occasional I was wrong and it was misinformation. Who knew?

Dew points in the 50's are considered comfortable, not "muggy".
Dew points at 60 and above are when they are considered "muggy" and uncomfortable; 60 being a lot more comfortable than 70, but still muggy.
Now if you'll excuse me, dark clouds have just rolled in as I wrote, we're having wind gusts up to 29 mph and there's a lot of thunder creeping closer. Looks like a summer thunderstorm in the making. In fact, it just started raining. My water bill will thank Mother Nature.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 07-23-2014 at 02:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento