Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 06:06 PM

27 posts, read 128,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTalia View Post
I'd like to know more about Rancho Cordoba....please, anyone?
I don't know much about RC. Wow! I can't believe it's been this long since I started my post. After more than a year now, we're actually missing Boston and planning to move back.

A word of advice for those of you planning a huge move like we did. We moved due to the cold weather in Boston and the thought of buying a new house in Roseville. But after a year, we miss family and friends. The job growth in this area isn't that great, at least in the IT field. Last I checked on monster, a list of 30 jobs for IT compared to 100+ in Boston.

Before you move, you need to make sure that you are moving for the right reason and not for an excuse. I think we moved for an excuse to get out of the cold. The cold doesn't seem that cold anymore when you are 3000 miles away from close friends and family members. Yes, if you try hard, you can make it work but considering many other factors, I think we'd appreciate Boston much more now if we went back. The public schools in Boston will be much better than in the Sacramento area. The local universities are abundant in Boston compared to Sacramento. Most of Sacramento is in a flood plain. Great!

Boston is much more dynamic. And really close to the beaches. I'm sure we'll be complaning about the cold if we move back but you know....after being a year here, I think that's easier to take than the lack of jobs and friends/family around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 12:15 PM

43 posts, read 183,196 times
With the price of gas now($3.50) any long commute is going to eat your $ up for sure, unless you don't care.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:30 PM

27 posts, read 128,143 times
Default What about Davis or Woodland?

I had forgotten to include those towns. But then, this morning just heard that there were bombs found at UC Davis. Great!

Maybe living near college oriented towns isn't such a great idea after all ever since the college related shooting incidents.

Comments?

Old 03-06-2008, 05:32 PM

43 posts, read 183,196 times
If you're a normal person, living near a big college is a mistake, IMHO. Chico drivers are nuts. Eugene, Ore. is "out there", like Davis. Go there first and see for yourself. If the town isn't totally dependant on a big College, that's different. Then the town/city might be OK, like Sacramento.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:16 PM

10 posts, read 40,351 times
Default Staying away from Colleges

"Maybe living near college oriented towns isn't such a great idea after all ever since the college related shooting incidents."

That's kind of like being afraid of flying but not having a problem with driving. College/postal/school/mall shootings make the news, but you can get shot by a nutcase anywhere. You're much more likely to die in a car accident (1 in 84 lifetime) than firearm assault (1 in 314 lifetime). Heart disease comes in at 1:5 and Cancer at 1:7

http://simplecomplexity.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/odds-dying8.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-03-2012, 02:54 AM

2 posts, read 4,106 times
I am being transfered from Bakersfield Ca to Yuba City. We have two children so schools are important but would like to know where to look for housing. I have never been up in that area. I have been reading posts and it seems like living in Yuba City is not the idea place. could someone give and info about the area, traffic and schools. Not sure I want to make the transfer after reading some of the posts

Old 02-03-2012, 03:03 AM

2 posts, read 4,106 times
Default Yuba City

Help i am being transfered to yuba city form bakersfield ca. Dont know anything about the area. married and have 2 kids so i have to live in a good family residental area and good schools. I read there is alot of gangs in the area of marysville and yuba city is that true. Afraid to make the change without info about areas in around yuba city. welcome and info

Old 02-03-2012, 04:31 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy & Randy View Post
If you're a normal person, living near a big college is a mistake, IMHO. Chico drivers are nuts. Eugene, Ore. is "out there", like Davis. Go there first and see for yourself. If the town isn't totally dependant on a big College, that's different. Then the town/city might be OK, like Sacramento.
Besides the drivers though, it's basically that if you don't like the people, the politics, and the lifestyle of a college town, you shouldn't move to a college town. But the opposite holds true--if that's what you're in to, then a college town isn't a bad place.

Davis is a great place to live, but the students and higher average income of the townies means everything is a little more crowded and expensive than elsewhere. Tight growth boundaries, college kids, and good schools bid up house prices far above any other city in the area. But good schools are worth a lot for people with kids.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:16 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt bj View Post
I am being transfered from Bakersfield Ca to Yuba City. We have two children so schools are important but would like to know where to look for housing. I have never been up in that area. I have been reading posts and it seems like living in Yuba City is not the idea place. could someone give and info about the area, traffic and schools. Not sure I want to make the transfer after reading some of the posts
Yuba City and Marysville are both relatively modest small cities. Of the two, I think Yuba City is a bit nicer so that would be my preference.

It isn't a horrible place, just kind of older and modest. The crime rate isn't really too bad, it isn't like moving to a slum.

I can't provide any info about the schools, but according to this web site their high school doesn't have a bad rating at all:

City-data.com school rating (using weighted 2006 test average as compared to other schools in California) from 0 (worst) to 100 (best) is 78

http://www.city-data.com/school/yuba...#ixzz1lO4FGWSI

Old 02-08-2012, 07:50 PM

169 posts, read 698,431 times
If you consider the school as your top priority, I would check out Davis, Eureka (Granite Bay and East Roseville), Rocklin, Folsom, and El Dorado Hills school districts. Those are top public school districts that are also located in the nice and safe area.

The charter school in Natomas is fine but is on the lottery system and difficult to get in.

The great public school district near downtown Sac is San Juan but I heard there have been some safety concern situations, i.e guns in high schools.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento