Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 09:14 PM

7 posts, read 11,590 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am looking to move to Sacramento from Atlanta in search for a good public/charter school district for my special needs child with autism (he is currently 5). With that being said, what is a reasonable price that I should expect to pay for a 3 bedroom house rental/apt out in Sacramento in a good school district? Any suggestions/advice is very welcome!!!

- Buying or renting: Renting
- Budget or price: Want to keep it as close to $1000 as possible
- Employment situation and location: Husband works, mom looking
- School consideration: Need a great school district with awesome autism services for 5 yr old son
- Pets (especially those considering rentals): not an issue
- Urban, suburban or rural preference: not an issue for now
- Need or desire for public transportation: need option of public transportation although we will have cars

Last edited by RBL2014; 08-31-2014 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: Just saw a suggestion for info posted previously
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 01:55 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,801,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBL2014 View Post
- Budget or price: Want to keep it as close to $1000 as possible
- School consideration: Need a great school district with awesome autism services for 5 yr old son
- Need or desire for public transportation: need option of public transportation although we will have cars
That budget is going to price you out of the better school districts. I'd suggest looking at Elk Grove or any area that borders Elk Grove school district, like parts of Rancho Cordova or even So Sac.

I'd check the UC Davis Mind Institute website for recommendations on autism services. UC Davis MIND Institute
For public transportation, see the Light Rail schedule http://www.sacrt.com/

Old 09-01-2014, 02:07 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,331,644 times
If you could get a 3br/2ba home in Sac proper, in a good school district, with public transportation.. for $1000/mo then I will give notice to my business partners first thing in the morning and we will be moving in 2 weeks. lol!

Maybe by "house" you mean apartment?

Old 09-01-2014, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
That budget is going to price you out of the better school districts. I'd suggest looking at Elk Grove or any area that borders Elk Grove school district, like parts of Rancho Cordova or even So Sac.

I'd check the UC Davis Mind Institute website for recommendations on autism services. UC Davis MIND Institute
For public transportation, see the Light Rail schedule Sacramento Regional Transit District Home Page
Thank you for the feedback caligirlz. Since $1000 is not reasonable for a great school district, could you tell me what is reasonable for a 3bd rental in a good school district?

Thank you for the UC Davis and light rail schedule resources... it definitely helps point me in the right direction. I'm finding it challenging to research cities in detail online but having direct resources like you listed is a God-send

Old 09-01-2014, 09:11 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,861,332 times
I find when I'm looking at an unfamiliar area, hotpads.com does wonders. It's an aggregator of apartment and house rental listings. At first it gives you everything, then you can scale it back by number of bedrooms and your min/max dollar amounts. If you enter $0-1000 and you get nothing, then that means everything's over $1000. Mind you, it doesn't tell you everyplace in town, just the places that have recently advertised - but at least it gives you a decent snapshot at rents in the area.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
I find when I'm looking at an unfamiliar area, hotpads.com does wonders. It's an aggregator of apartment and house rental listings. At first it gives you everything, then you can scale it back by number of bedrooms and your min/max dollar amounts. If you enter $0-1000 and you get nothing, then that means everything's over $1000. Mind you, it doesn't tell you everyplace in town, just the places that have recently advertised - but at least it gives you a decent snapshot at rents in the area.
Rah62, you also gave some great advice!! thanks so much! I am finding some possibilities on that site as well.

Keep it coming people...I'm really appreciating this

Old 09-01-2014, 06:14 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,801,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBL2014 View Post
Since $1000 is not reasonable for a great school district, could you tell me what is reasonable for a 3bd rental in a good school district?
Depending on your needs, I would venture to say $1100-1200. It may be possible to find an apartment or duplex for $1000 in an older area of the desired school district, but I think you should check the great school list first & see what area best suits you. GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

The only problem is that suburbs like Elk Grove, Folsom, Roseville have the least access to public transportation. I'm not familiar with the bus system, but I've heard it is spotty. And there is usually limited light rail access & usually requires driving to the station....so you need to decide which is more important. Public transportation or schools.

Here's some local rental websites you can check out for ideas
1 and 2 bedroom house for rent sacramento ca california rental house
Sacramento Rental Property Management | Home Run Property Management
Homepointe.com
Aim Realty | Rocklin, Roseville & Sacramento Area Property Management

Old 09-03-2014, 07:13 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,141,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post

For public transportation, see the Light Rail schedule Sacramento Regional Transit District Home Page
Unfortunately the part of Rancho Cordova that would be of interest (at least the area that is served by the Elk Grove School District) is strictly residential. There are no apartments here and renting a house is not cheap. You might be able to find something in the Vineyard/Churchill Downs/Sheldon area that is within EGUSD. The Vineyard and Churchill Downs are unincorporated areas near the City of Elk Grove.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:30 PM

I want to truly thank you guys for the resources and information you have taken the time to give me. I will definitely update this thread when we've made the move--hopefully soon

Old 09-03-2014, 10:18 PM

528 posts, read 863,022 times
Nowadays, probably 3500 dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento