Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 02:59 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovenoodle View Post
- Budget or price : max $800
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 10:09 AM

256 posts, read 367,427 times
Since they don't care about living in midtown, I don't know why they'd want to add that time to their commute. (I love living in midtown but it's not for everyone, and I'm not commuting to the burbs.)

Old 09-05-2014, 03:37 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Fair Oaks would be a good option. The commute to Roseville and Fulton/Marconi would be stop and go city traffic but it is doable.

I'd suggest the OP also check out City-Data and Homefacts.com for some objective measures of crime. Sacramento, in general, has higher than average crime vs a place like Fair Oaks or even Citrus Heights. However, it could be that the crime rate is skewed because Sacramento has some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the area.

You can also try the Sac Bee's crimemapper map to see where crime is occurring.
All good points. I thought I'd suggest midtown because it is centrally located to all freeways which you can get to without weaving through tons of traffic on residential streets. And there are a lot of working professionals there. I never really experienced the crime there, but I agree that it exists on a higher level than the more suburban areas. Definitely a factor to consider.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:39 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
Meh. I'm with xeney, she isn't suggesting against Midtown because of crime concerns (that's where she is raising her kids after all) but it's not a very convenient location for a couple who work in Roseville and Arden-Arcade. There are plenty of apartments in safe, pleasant parts of Arden-Arcade or Carmichael, or the city of Citrus Heights, that would meet their needs well. Finding an apartment for two people that will take a dog in Midtown for $800 or less would also be very tough, as even studios that won't allow pets are creeping up into the $700-900 range--easier to do in the suburbs, although $800 is kind of a low number for rent.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,249 times
Thanks for all the suggestions thus far! I've read them all and will be broadening my search to Carmichael, Fair Oaks, and Citrus Heights! I was able to come up to Sacramento yesterday to look at a few apartments and to check out the areas. Here's what I have so far:

- Pocket: It was ok. Saw Wedgewood and another one close by. I know there are more in there, but I heard the drive would be really long to Arden during traffic hours.

- Willow Grove: my top choice in Arden. It was at the corner of Hurley and Fulton. Big, good community, gated, has a lot of ammenities. If I don't find anything else, I'll just go with this one. Not really happy with the reviews on Yelp (overcharges for things, surrounding neighborhood isn't SUPER safe, AC is not super good since there may be leaks, charges for W/T/S), but I think most Yelp reviews will be bad since not very many people will post good reviews. If anyone has any previous experience with this company, please let me know!

- Fair Oaks: a little far but I loved the community. I definitely felt more safe there, but I'm not sure how much more expensive it might be.

- Mid town: loved the area. Not fond of having to find my own parking.

I keep hearing different opinions on Carmichael. Unfortunately I didn't have time to check it out. I do have a family friend living in Elk Grove, so I think I'll stay with them temporarily until I find one that I like. So the search continues!

Also, some people pointed out my budget. I definitely can afford more, but I've never paid that much for rent before! lol. I based my max on the posted rental prices I found on craigslist. Plus, I'm also saving for a wedding and paying off student loans. I don't need luxury stuff right now, just safe and nice enough to live. I think after the wedding, I can definitely raise my max.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Please keep it coming!

Old 09-07-2014, 11:33 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovenoodle View Post
- Willow Grove: my top choice in Arden. It was at the corner of Hurley and Fulton. Big, good community, gated, has a lot of ammenities. If I don't find anything else, I'll just go with this one. Not really happy with the reviews on Yelp (overcharges for things, surrounding neighborhood isn't SUPER safe, AC is not super good since there may be leaks, charges for W/T/S), but I think most Yelp reviews will be bad since not very many people will post good reviews. If anyone has any previous experience with this company, please let me know!
FWIW, I don't use Yelp for anything more than restaurants, and even at that, I'm wary. Especially since Yelp is known for filtering reviews.
Does Yelp Have The 'Most Trusted Reviews'? A Court Wants To Know More - Forbes
How Yelp's Review Filter Plays Games with Business Reputations

Even apartment.com's reviews are questionable as it's mostly complaints. Apartment management changes pretty frequently, and poor service just comes with the territory.

You might want to check with your employer for recommendations.

Good luck with your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento