Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 04:21 PM

256 posts, read 367,481 times

Advertisements

Nah, I'm done.

To the original poster: if you were actually asking about demographic information related to the specific neighborhood association area formerly known as Winn Park that changed its name to Midtown Neighborhood Association in 2008, Shelato's census data appears to be correct. If you were asking in more general terms about the area that all residents and organizations refer to as "midtown," meaning the walkable/bikeable area close to downtown that includes public transportation, nightlife, and other social/cultural amenities, I would also look at Southside Park, Marshall Park, New Era Park, Boulevard Park, and Mansion Flats. Some of those areas are significantly more diverse than Winn Park and all of them (including Winn Park, of course) offer the best of the cultural/city amenities that Sacramento has to offer, such as they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 06:37 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,307,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeney View Post
Nah, I'm done.
Then I consider this matter resolved as well and I wish you well.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:27 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
The definition of "Midtown" is, at best, fuzzy. It originated in the early 1980s but was originally mostly used to describe the business district along J Street. I'm not sure when the city of Sacramento started calling the area between J and R Street, 15th-29th Street "Midtown" but think it was somewhere around 2000. Winn Park Neighborhood Association changed its name to WPCANA (Winn Park Capitol Avenue Neighborhood Association) when folks in the Capitol Mansions historic district asked to join--the Winn Park historic district is roughly from N to Q Street between 21st and 28th. Around 2008, some residents farther east on 17th and 19th Street (between L and O) asked to join, and there wasn't really a name for that area (not sure if they were even calling it the Handle yet.) It seemed a little inconvenient to change the name to include another neighborhood that didn't have a name. The city already called the whole area "Midtown" so we voted to change our name. It's shorter, more recognizable, and less confusing, but it doesn't mean that points north of J or south of R Street aren't Midtown. Currently, the co-chair of the Midtown Neighborhood Association is of African-American descent, she hosts the annual "Neighborhood Night Out" and has three totally precocious kids.

(note: I know the above because I was on the MNA board when the decision to change the name was made.)

But, generally, the overarching "Midtown" includes (in my opinion) the neighborhoods east of Capitol Park (15th Street) from the railroad tracks on B Street south to Highway 50, all the way to 29th Street. Neighborhoods like Alkali Flat/Mansion Flats and Southside Park are close enough to Midtown that they often get lumped into Midtown anyhow, and these days there are more art galleries and coffee shops opening there than east of 15th. Some businesses east of 50 try to insinuate that they're part of Midtown, but East Sacramento has a pretty strong neighborhood identity of its own.

None of which is particularly useful to the OP. I think shelato just takes issue with the idea of describing Midtown as a diverse neighborhood, but there is more to a diverse neighborhood than the number of black people in it (although, yes, that is a factor.)

Old 10-28-2014, 03:39 AM

528 posts, read 867,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
At least no one can accuse you of being subtle.
Right I know.. TY for noticing.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:18 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagic1 View Post
Hi,

I may soon move soon to Sacramento from Chicago for a job. I am a 51 y/o single, professional African-American woman with no children. I am not familiar with Sacramento.

I like cultural events (theater, concerts, summer music festivals), night life and dating. Chicago is very diverse, has a large African-American population and a LOT to offer in terms of cultural outlets.

I'd like to know:

1. Has anyone else moved to Sacramento from Chicago and what do they think? How does Sacramento compare to Chicago for cultural events? Do you regret your move?

2. In terms of housing (I will rent), what are the names of the middle-class African American neighborhoods? I have read other (older) posted threads. Are those areas still Elk Grove and Greenhaven?

3. Where are nice affordable rentals near the downtown area? I do not want long commute to work.
What areas should I avoid, and why?

4. Are the Davis and Midtown areas far from the downtown area? Per Google Maps, UC Davis is a 20 minute drive from downtown.

Thanks for your suggestions and input!
Black man from Chicago here.

Sacramento is going to leave you very, very disappointed in terms of culture, nightlife, etc.

I hope you are ready for sone serious culture shock.

Ignore the posters comparing Sac to Milwaukee and kc. Those cities are only similar in terms of metro population size. People from Milwaukee do not flock to Chicago like people in Sac flock to the bay. It is actually the other way around, people from Chicago flock to Wisconsin for nature and leisure. Sac and kc ities have way more going on than Sac, with better night life, entertainment, and older cultural amenities that have been endowed much longer. Sac is morr like Omaha or Tulsa on steroids.

It is more comparable to the suburbs of Chicago, in terms of culture and urbanity.. The same way they commute an hour to Chi for culture, you will commute 2 hours to culture in the bay.

Blacks don't have their own area. Most of the minority areas got paved over with redevelopment and freeways during the baby boom era. Blacks tend to live side by side with latinos, arabs, asians, sone whites, etc. Whites mostly self segregate and also form further divisions along political lines. But it is not as segregated as Chitown.

Midtown is not really cultured or urban. It is more like downtown Oak Park, Naperville, Evanston, in terms of vibrancy.

Your best bet will be the central city core. Culturally it is like chicago's uptown neighborhood. Seedy, meets yuppie, meets hipster, meets starving artist, depending on what nook of the central city you settle in.

Best of luck.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:12 AM

Sorry for the typos, using my phone!

Old 11-04-2014, 04:12 PM

96 posts, read 299,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Midtown is not really cultured or urban. It is more like downtown Oak Park, Naperville, Evanston, in terms of vibrancy.
Your best bet will be the central city core. Culturally it is like chicago's uptown neighborhood. Seedy, meets yuppie, meets hipster, meets starving artist, depending on what nook of the central city you settle in.

Best of luck.
Completely disagree with the first point. Midtown is like taking a small piece of an urban neighborhood out of a bigger city. Downtown Naperville is like eight square blocks. Midtown is significantly bigger and has a lot more going on.

And the second point conflicts with the first. Midtown essentially *is* the central city core.

A LOT of Sacramento is suburbs. Almost all of it. But Midtown isn't. It's not Chicago or San Francisco, in any way shape or form. But it's definitely more vibrant than Naperville.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:52 PM

87 posts, read 157,992 times
IM 42 divorced single F no kids either..we have some of the same interests Moving to Sac next year..good luck with your move

Old 11-04-2014, 11:43 PM

306 posts, read 701,662 times
I moved from Chicago to Sacramento and I hate every single day here. Sacramento is not a city. Chicago is. The end. If you enjoyed the cost of living and big city amenities of Chicago, you are looking at a similar cost of living and zero of those amenities. I cannot state strongly enough that I would not recommend anyone who enjoyed Chicago life move here.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincake View Post
I moved from Chicago to Sacramento and I hate every single day here. Sacramento is not a city. Chicago is. The end. If you enjoyed the cost of living and big city amenities of Chicago, you are looking at a similar cost of living and zero of those amenities. I cannot state strongly enough that I would not recommend anyone who enjoyed Chicago life move here.
Exactly. Sacramento is more suited for people who prefer to only hang out in the burbs. Sac can not even compete with similar cities that are the same size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento