Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 01:31 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,202,595 times

Advertisements

about 2/3 of the time i read a "best places to live" list, Sacramento has been included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 05:12 AM

528 posts, read 861,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird16 View Post
It's the drought. It didn't use to be like this. I remember September being much cooler and October being much, MUCH cooler than it is now. I grew up walking to school, so I can remember pretty well.
Global warming maybe?

Old 11-11-2014, 01:32 PM

4,025 posts, read 3,257,184 times
I have to say since we have had the drought the climate in Sacramento has been much nicer. The tule fog has been a non-issue and this past summer was pretty mild.

Now I know we need the rain, but as long as we aren't having it, I am making the most of it.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:54 PM

306 posts, read 697,790 times
Quote:
That's a fair assessment. Not having lived in other areas for very long, I don't have something else to compare to Sacramento. I just genuinely feel Sacramento has so much to offer that it would be included in the "Best Places to Live" lists.
Well, you are happy where you live, and that's what counts! It's unfortunate I hate it here, but having lived around the country, I know at least it's not just me -- I now realize certain places fit my lifestyle better than others. I'm gonna move back to one of the places I loved, and you should stay where you're happy! Win-win!

Old 11-16-2014, 01:13 AM

38 posts, read 60,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincake View Post
Well, you are happy where you live, and that's what counts! It's unfortunate I hate it here, but having lived around the country, I know at least it's not just me -- I now realize certain places fit my lifestyle better than others. I'm gonna move back to one of the places I loved, and you should stay where you're happy! Win-win!
Sounds good to me! Best to you!

Old 11-17-2014, 01:20 PM

9 posts, read 14,034 times
It's a good place to live, but not great in my opinion. Sac seems like a place that offers great access to other parts of the state, but by itself is nothing special. I feel like a city that size should have more arts & culture than it does. As is, it's too hot, too far inland, and doesn't really offer as much as other cities in the state. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed living there, but there a lot of other cities I'd choose first.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:11 PM

2,441 posts, read 3,415,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTrekker View Post
It's a good place to live, but not great in my opinion. Sac seems like a place that offers great access to other parts of the state, but by itself is nothing special. I feel like a city that size should have more arts & culture than it does. As is, it's too hot, too far inland, and doesn't really offer as much as other cities in the state. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed living there, but there a lot of other cities I'd choose first.
This is about as close to how I see Sacramento as I have read so far. Upon arriving in 2003, I saw a huge relatively quiet suburb. I loved all the tree lined streets and open spaces, even if unintentional. But it is a very inconvenient to move around in if you don't have a car. The downtown area lacks amenities like public drinking fountains or restrooms that I took for granted in other similar sized cities. And an amazing first for me is the 'public' park on C and 16th Streets that has a big wrought iron fence around it, intended only for parents with children! And why are there almost no elementary schools in the downtown/midtown area? Is there a local ordinance against procreation there that I overlooked?

Old 11-17-2014, 03:31 PM

256 posts, read 364,909 times
Because our school district closed them all due to low enrollment. The only one left is William Land in Southside Park. There are a few private elementary schools in downtown and midtown, though: St. Francis, Courtyard, Merryhill. The midtown campus of the California Montessori Project moved to College Greens.

And of course closing elementary schools adds to the perception that kids and families aren't really welcome or wanted in midtown and downtown.

The fence at 16th and C is because that park was pretty much overrun by homeless people. I'm glad that hasn't caught on at more of our parks, but that particular park is so close to Loaves and Fishes that I think families in the area had stopped using it until the fence went up. (It's pretty close to me but I have never taken my kids there because it feels so uninviting.)

Old 11-17-2014, 04:11 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,779,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeney View Post
Because our school district closed them all due to low enrollment. The only one left is William Land in Southside Park. There are a few private elementary schools in downtown and midtown, though: St. Francis, Courtyard, Merryhill. The midtown campus of the California Montessori Project moved to College Greens.
Actually, the private schools in midtown make perfect sense. Affluent people who can afford the now gentrified midtown, but don't want to send their kids to crappy public schools in the area.

Understand what drove the gentrification of once slummy Midtown, namely, childless gays, singles, and some empty nesters. The bad schools of the area, that drove and scared middle-class families away, didn't bother people that were not sending any children to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeney View Post
And of course closing elementary schools adds to the perception that kids and families aren't really welcome or wanted in midtown and downtown.
Chicken, egg, and all that. If anything, midtown and downtown were no-go zones for children before the gentrification began.

However, that gentrification was geared around partying singles or gays reveling in their gayness.

"Not that there is anything wrong with that", as Jerry Seinfeld would say, but the gentrification was not done with kids in mind.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:54 AM

84 posts, read 99,618 times
Quote:
I've read numerous articles on "Best Places to Live in the U.S." over the years, and I'm often left wondering why Sacramento is rarely included. I've lived in the area for over 25 years and I know how many wonderful things it has to offer. Sure, it's not a perfect place, but in my opinion, its pros outweigh its cons. Is that just the local in me speaking? What keeps Sacramento from ranking highly when it comes to great places to live? Crime? Jobs? Air quality? Those things combined?
In a word, traffic. Sacramento has some of the worst traffic in the nation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento