Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 03:09 AM

528 posts, read 866,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
This isn't a super high traffic forum, it takes a while for people to respond. There are people of all ages in Sacramento, it's not all young or all old. We're a very ethnically diverse city. CSUS (Sacramento State) has a good reputation but isn't considered as highly as UC Davis, since it's a CSU instead of a UC. Sacramento State is a commuter school, so there isn't much college-town vibe around it once you leave campus, but if you're looking for an area with a more youthful feel, you'll probably find it in Midtown, a couple miles west of the campus.

GoldCountry80 has a particular perspective on life, one that not many here agree with. I've had some pretty good Japanese food here, and it's hardly the only city where they use square bento boxes. Jack's Urban Eats is a local chain, the one he refers to on 20th and Capitol is the original location. Jack's and Ink are okay but wouldn't consider them much beyond mid-range for Midtown, let alone the whole city--although, yes, there are some really good restaurants outside the central city grid, most of the local foodies are quite enthusiastic about the Southeast Asian and Mexican restaurants along Stockton Boulevard well south of downtown, or little places in West Sacramento.
Sac might be ethnically diverse on paper and even in person, but since everyone comes from the area, tends to be more boring and everyone only has one worldview really. In fact I first learned when I came to Sac that it can have all the RACIAL diversity in the world but can still be boring. Imagine that? Factors of people not traveling enough or the whole "yes man" factor contributes to it. I been to cities that were 68% white with way less interracial relationships than midtown and had more excitement available or more wow factor. Nashua and Manchester NH being 2. St Pete FL being another.

And yes I do have a different perspective. One you will not find on here often. I can agree.

To me from a lot of the Japanese places I've been, the stuff in the mall I got anywhere USA was better than it is here. I got something at Bento Box once, I think it was Japanese too. I mean if you're really craving it and you're not at a mall go for it but its probably going to be a once a year thing under those circumstances. If you like PHO more, you might have it made. I am not so hot on it though. For Asian food I like Polynesian or the more real Chinese food with different meats of different animals. I recalled some buffet I went to off Broadway that served Frog legs, they were better than any of the chicken wings I've had anywhere around here because no place makes chicken wings crispy with that nice garlic marinade on them. Haven't found any. They make them more like fried chicken out here. If that be the case I'd rather stop at Popeyes or Church's.

Mexican food is real hit or miss and as I got older I outgrew it more I'd say. Garcia's in Carmichael is probably one of the best although expensive. Is it just me or has Mexican food gone up or not as cheap as it was once known for being and just become overrated? Seems like to get a lunch plate its 12 dollars now many places and on Stockton, I have not stopped to get Mexican unless you want to count El Pollo Loco which they don't have where I live.

One restaurant I do recommend though that I like A LOT in Sacramento from my few visits is Sam's Hof Brau, not Asian at all but still a great place to eat. Parking stinks though in that immediate area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 09:28 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Bento Box is a terrible example of local Japanese food, it's edible but definitely the cheap stuff, heavy on the cream cheese and mayonnaise, light on fish. The Chinese buffets near Target on Broadway are also "quantity vs. quality" kind of places.

If you haven't stopped on Stockton for Mexican food, it's worth your time. My general rule is, the less comfortable leaving your car unattended in front of the restaurant, the better the food probably is. Although my favorite two places aren't on Stockton: Lalo's, off 24th south of Sacramento City College, and Chando's, which has a location off Del Paso Boulevard and another off Power Inn Road. And no, they're not as cheap as they used to be--street tacos these days are more like $1.75-$2 each instead of $1 or so. And a proper sit-down Mexican restaurant like Mayahuel is going to cost more than a taco place in a strip mall.

Quality food costs a bit more. It sounds like your focus has been on the cheapest places, which may be why you aren't encountering the highest-quality food. Burgers are a great aspect of local food culture, as they're flexible, offer a chance for a restaurant to express its creativity, and people love burgers! Our citywide Burger Battle is another local attraction, and so many of the newer restaurants are showing off their stuff that even traditional burger oases like Willie's, Nationwide Freezer Meats and Jim-Denny's have had to step up their game or get overshadowed. Try the burger at Broderick in West Sacramento, or if you want a burger in a fancy sit-down setting, the burger at Hook & Ladder is not to be missed. They change the burger's toppings every week or so, with seasonal menu items--my favorite was one last year that featured goat cheese on the burger, and persimmon instead of tomato.

Sam's Hof Brau is great traditional rib-sticking food. They have a huge parking lot in front, never had trouble finding a space. They are now owned by the owners of Mikuni, a Japanese restaurant, who brought back the Sam's name (it was originally founded in Sacramento by a guy named Sam Gordon, who expanded the name with chain locations throughout California.)

Old 11-06-2014, 11:30 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
I love Sacramento, particularly after a 14 year stint in Reno. I find people to be very friendly here, we have gone to a few farmer's markets and have made several friends that way. Reno is so isolated from everything and here I feel like there is an endless number of places to go and things to do.

Yes it gets hot here, but if you can stay in the shade it's always seems bearable. In my last job I traveled a great deal and Sacramento has a very moderate climate compared to Houston or Phoenix- or even Fresno. The nice thing is, it never gets very cold here, in Reno I had to wait until the last freeze to plant tomatoes and that was usually the end of May or beginning of June, then I had to harvest them in late October- during those months our utility bill would range from $300 to $400 a month, almost all of that for heating costs.

As far as food, if you want a great hamburger, go to Skip's on El Camino - for Mexican food try Rey Azteca on Fair Oaks Blvd, try breakfast on the patio at Bella Bru. Sam's Hof Brau is still as good as when I went there a few decades ago, but I have never had trouble parking there, the parking lot is huge. Tower books and records used to be in the same strip mall, but since they left that parking lot is about 80% empty.

I went to CSUS (a long time ago) it's a good school but as already mentioned, it's a commuter college so there is virtually no college community as you might find around other colleges.

I don't know why anyone would be unhappy in Sacramento, to me it's more likely that they are unhappy for other reasons and blame it on geography

Old 11-07-2014, 01:23 AM

528 posts, read 866,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Bento Box is a terrible example of local Japanese food, it's edible but definitely the cheap stuff, heavy on the cream cheese and mayonnaise, light on fish. The Chinese buffets near Target on Broadway are also "quantity vs. quality" kind of places.

If you haven't stopped on Stockton for Mexican food, it's worth your time. My general rule is, the less comfortable leaving your car unattended in front of the restaurant, the better the food probably is. Although my favorite two places aren't on Stockton: Lalo's, off 24th south of Sacramento City College, and Chando's, which has a location off Del Paso Boulevard and another off Power Inn Road. And no, they're not as cheap as they used to be--street tacos these days are more like $1.75-$2 each instead of $1 or so. And a proper sit-down Mexican restaurant like Mayahuel is going to cost more than a taco place in a strip mall.

Quality food costs a bit more. It sounds like your focus has been on the cheapest places, which may be why you aren't encountering the highest-quality food. Burgers are a great aspect of local food culture, as they're flexible, offer a chance for a restaurant to express its creativity, and people love burgers! Our citywide Burger Battle is another local attraction, and so many of the newer restaurants are showing off their stuff that even traditional burger oases like Willie's, Nationwide Freezer Meats and Jim-Denny's have had to step up their game or get overshadowed. Try the burger at Broderick in West Sacramento, or if you want a burger in a fancy sit-down setting, the burger at Hook & Ladder is not to be missed. They change the burger's toppings every week or so, with seasonal menu items--my favorite was one last year that featured goat cheese on the burger, and persimmon instead of tomato.

Sam's Hof Brau is great traditional rib-sticking food. They have a huge parking lot in front, never had trouble finding a space. They are now owned by the owners of Mikuni, a Japanese restaurant, who brought back the Sam's name (it was originally founded in Sacramento by a guy named Sam Gordon, who expanded the name with chain locations throughout California.)
Lalo's and Chandos, never been to those. Have even the Mexican places in the bad areas gone up? I ate at Rey Azteca in Carmichael and Adelbertos also. Adelbertos was very average and surprisingly expensive when I went over a year ago. I don't think that's the place to go. There was one I believe heading toward North Highlands on Madison that I saw but didn't wanna go in and merge in there off the traffic.

For burgers I like the Flaming Grill on El Camino but you know something, its more a novelty once in awhile kind of place. You cant go even once a month I don't think. Skips I heard about but never went in. I been to Flaming Grill, um Club Car near me has a decent burger. Max's in Auburn does but thats even more expensive and you pay for the ambiance more. You know that place right by In N Out by the hotel? Hows California Burgers in Citrus Heights? Some say that's overrated and you don't get a lot for your money and long lines. Oh and speaking of that area, I went to the Japanese place right by the Beto's Mexican food. Then theres Sam's classic I believe but you can't sit in and eat. You know where I like to go because its a safe bet, fast, cheap and delicious? Carls Jr. Kinda like how some would rather have Starbucks than the local coffee places because its always consistent. I feel that way about burgers sometimes because otherwise I'd be paying 12 bucks with a drink for a burger with some fatty fries I can do without. The Pastrami Sandwich at Hof Brau now was more worth it than that.

As far as parking, it is spacious only to the left toward the Dollar Tree. The right side facing the restaurant is tight as hell and narrow, hard to get out.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:53 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,409,476 times
I visited Sacramento two months ago. I loved the weather. I'm not all that crazy about the city, but I'm considering a move there since I do have relatives there. The company I work for has a branch in Sacramento, so I can transfer there.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:54 AM

661 posts, read 690,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
You know where I like to go because its a safe bet, fast, cheap and delicious? Carls Jr. Kinda like how some would rather have Starbucks than the local coffee places because its always consistent.
Hahaha so you prefer "delicious" Carls Jr. burgers but have no problem turning your nose up at all of the crappy food choices in Sacramento. Bento Box for Japanese, Adalbertos for Mexican? C'mon dude. If you're going to troll Sacramento at least hit us where the weaknesses are. Food is not one of them.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:48 PM

87 posts, read 157,860 times
What is average winter weather in sac?,

Old 11-07-2014, 01:11 PM

323 posts, read 1,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsearcher14 View Post
What is average winter weather in sac?,
Well it used to be 50's in the day 30's at night.

The new normal seems to be 70's in the day 50's at night.

Put it this way, I've worn a heavy coat maybe 10 times in the last 3 years.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:40 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,799,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincake View Post
But it doesn't get as hot in the midwest and the heat waves are of shorter duration throughout the year.
Really? I just remember my clothes clinging to me like moistened shrinkwrap the moment I got out of the Omaha or Chicago Airport air conditioning when I would travel there summers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincake View Post
Sacramento is both incredibly hot and it stays that hot for most of the year. So it's as much an issue of tolerance as it is endurance. If the oppressively hot days in Sacramento got broken up by intermittent cold fronts or cloudy/rainy days, that would provide some relief.
Actually, we had a few summers where intermittent cloud fronts or a freak rainy day happened, and that day and subsequent day gave Sacramento that sticky Midwest/South feel for a while. I much prefer the dry heat.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:54 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,571,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
Lalo's and Chandos, never been to those. Have even the Mexican places in the bad areas gone up? I ate at Rey Azteca in Carmichael and Adelbertos also. Adelbertos was very average and surprisingly expensive when I went over a year ago. I don't think that's the place to go. There was one I believe heading toward North Highlands on Madison that I saw but didn't wanna go in and merge in there off the traffic.

For burgers I like the Flaming Grill on El Camino but you know something, its more a novelty once in awhile kind of place. You cant go even once a month I don't think. Skips I heard about but never went in. I been to Flaming Grill, um Club Car near me has a decent burger. Max's in Auburn does but thats even more expensive and you pay for the ambiance more. You know that place right by In N Out by the hotel? Hows California Burgers in Citrus Heights? Some say that's overrated and you don't get a lot for your money and long lines. Oh and speaking of that area, I went to the Japanese place right by the Beto's Mexican food. Then theres Sam's classic I believe but you can't sit in and eat. You know where I like to go because its a safe bet, fast, cheap and delicious? Carls Jr. Kinda like how some would rather have Starbucks than the local coffee places because its always consistent. I feel that way about burgers sometimes because otherwise I'd be paying 12 bucks with a drink for a burger with some fatty fries I can do without. The Pastrami Sandwich at Hof Brau now was more worth it than that.

As far as parking, it is spacious only to the left toward the Dollar Tree. The right side facing the restaurant is tight as hell and narrow, hard to get out.
Food is food. It's not as if all the talented male chefs meet the talented female chefs in some random east coast city and make genetically superior chef babies that grow up to open great little "hole in the wall" local eateries that just blow Sacramento's away. Reading your posts gives the logical side of my brain a headache.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-10-2014 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: Leave the religion out, OK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento