Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 06:04 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,250,209 times

Advertisements

I have family in Reno. I go to visit quite a bit. It's ok. I looked into moving there but jobs are a dead end there and OSY is crap imo. But it's cheaper COL. Some areas are better than others like anywhere else. Lots of shihead drivers though. But lots of people are nice too.
What about Truckee, Suzanville or Carson City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 11:14 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,564,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikethesky View Post
Thanks for the warning. Something to be aware of. I've been able to live in various communities--some fairly wealthy, others more eclectic and a mix of the wealthy and middle class, and still been able to write. I can subsume the environment to a degree because the work is done in solitude. How much I like an area's vibe is important to my art. If I have some rolling hills, open land, trees, possibly a lake a river, I'm good. Or have access to them by rail or car. What I need to is to be able to connect with other writers rather than necessarily live around them.
If I have to travel a half hour or so down the hill to mid-town for a poetry event or reading, that's not a problem at all. But mid-town might be too urban for me, not sure. I also have a new car which I don't want to leave on the street. I think mid-town apartments mostly have on-street parking only. But I haven't ruled it out.

Thanks for your thoughts on living in Folsom. All of the trails and hiking access sounds great.
If that is the case then Folsom would probably be a great fit for you. The nature and proximity to the mountains is great in this area. Though I plan on leaving, I still enjoy the natural beauty here everyday. And don't get me wrong, there are friendly people jere. The overall vibe is just not my personal preference.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:03 PM

3 posts, read 3,449 times
I think you may like the Placerville area. We have a home there that we go to on most weekends. It is off Sly Park RD. close to Pollock Pines with Jenkinson Lake Recreational area. Lots of hiking/biking/horse trails. We are at 3400 ft so we do get some snow. We are in the pines with privacy but not secluded. Very friendly people. We love it there!

Old 12-10-2014, 05:33 PM

29 posts, read 49,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readymixer View Post
hikethesky, I'm working a search similar to yours. I'm late 50's, early retired, empty nester but still working. I am considering a job transfer from Portland OR to Stockton CA. I've been scouring Zillow to find a woodsy, remote feeling small town in the Sierra foothills. The best I could find were log cabins in Twain Harte but they're not commutable to Stockton. Are you having any luck finding anything in the Sierras yet?
Readymixer, I'd suggest looking at Jackson near Highway 88. It's about 40 miles or so from Folsom (I think). I don't know how far the commute would be to Stockton. I have a few months before I move, so I have time to look around. I haven't looked seriously at remote mountains towns yet because I don't think I'd like living in too remote a place. I did see some homes on Zillow in the Jackson area that you might like.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:31 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,793,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrymini View Post
I think you may like the Placerville area. We have a home there that we go to on most weekends. It is off Sly Park RD. close to Pollock Pines with Jenkinson Lake Recreational area. Lots of hiking/biking/horse trails. We are at 3400 ft so we do get some snow. We are in the pines with privacy but not secluded. Very friendly people. We love it there!
Is that anywhere close to the King fire area?
Rains Bring Mudslide, Erosion Concerns to El Dorado County | FOX40

I do agree, it is beautiful up there.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:41 PM

29 posts, read 49,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Is that anywhere close to the King fire area?
Rains Bring Mudslide, Erosion Concerns to El Dorado County | FOX40

I do agree, it is beautiful up there.

Caligirlz, the King Fire started just east of Pollack Pines. The town itself was spared.

Thank you Countrymini for the feedback on Placerville. I'll be visiting the area in the coming month or so. I drove through Auburn on a quick visit to the Sacramento area these past few days. I wasn't there long enough to get an impression of the area, other than the old town core was cute.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:11 PM

3 posts, read 3,449 times
Caligirlz, as hikethesky stated the burn area was just east of Pollack Pines. I have not seen the burned area but I believe it was in some very steep terrain.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:15 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,793,221 times
I may have gotten the fire names wrong. It really was thinking of the Sand Fire.
Sand Fire Now 75 Percent Contained, Some Evacuation Orders Lifted - capradio.org

I have friends out near Placerville/Mt Aukum and they were evacuated.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:26 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,963,636 times
Wink Poor Reno

From that you've said it seems somewhere in the Sacramento area would be your preferred home. If exact location will make a big difference.

In not preferring cold winters and snow, then anything east of the Sierra foothills is out. As you may know, the Sierra Nevada customarily receives a lot of snow. All of the Tahoe basin falls into that category. Reno and environs lie on the high desert, so not near as much snow, but otherwise see long (enough), (relatively) cold winters.

I couldn't exactly say about Nevada City, if guessing it has its fair share of artists and others viewing the world somewhat differently. An inviting location in the foothills and easy access to the high mountains beyond. As with other towns similarly situated, such as Placerville or Pollock Pines, it will see a little snow at times, being on the cusp of a good deal more of that if much farther east and higher in elevation. So a compromise of sorts, cooler than low-lying Sacramento, and this possibly viewed a decided plus come summer.

The problem with Nevada City, or its near adjacent neighbor Grass Valley, for some would lie in their relative isolation. Auburn is on the far outskirts and beyond of Sacramento, but Grass Valley well beyond that to the north. It is large enough to offer most of the daily services one might want, but principally suitable to those not usually wishing to go anywhere else. It may seem far too insular and provincial to those inclined to poetry readings or art exhibitions now and then closer to the Sacramento River. Placerville and all these other otherwise inviting small foothill towns all fall into the same category.

Thus if more the big city, if not precisely in it, then only a question of which outlying suburb best meets one's preferences. Do perhaps give some thought to where the epicenter of one's city visits will likely be, and if not within the certain charms of Old Sacramento then probably in close proximity. This in consideration of traffic and that either I-80 or US 50 most likely used in from the outskirts. Both are congested closer to Sacramento proper, although in whole US 50 probably the easier drive.

This, too, in consideration of mountain excursions, when in the mood. I-80 is a fine drive through the Sierra, if more traffic. US 50 is not as easy to pass on (in the event stuck behind some Winnebago), but otherwise can seem the near ideal mountain excursion. With in both cases the not inconsiderable consideration of where one might end up or be heading. If off to Reno or even Incline Village, then I-80 is your road. But if the attractions of Emerald Bay or South Lake Tahoe, then one's path is clear and it must be US 50. Not to mention that in one way or another it offers the easiest access to the magnificent Sierra Nevada south of Lake Tahoe, as well all south along US 395.

So, to return to town, some bearing within on that accessed without. Or, if home someplace like Grass Valley or even Auburn—and one could continue south on CA 49—the distinct probability and odds that due proximity one will not, and will inevitably be visiting the mountains and points beyond via I-80. Conversely, if home closer to US 50, then near certain it will prove one's most chosen path east.

If probably mostly single family homes (so possibly limited rental options in one's preferred price range), Granite Bay might be worth a look. Being suburban and vaguely out in the country, yet fairly easy access into downtown Sacramento via I-80. The town of Roseville, nearby, might also prove suitable. Although, if the distance may not appear all that much from a map, one possibly not as inclined to venture south through town to US 50, save already near there if close within Folsom. And vice versa.

It could as well be that one would be perfectly content, if indeed all the happier, not as far out but somewhere closer to downtown Sacramento. In the greater scheme of things it will not add appreciably to one's time in getting out of town, when headed to the mountains—unless just drawn there all the time (in which event one might reconsider Nevada City, et al). But otherwise there are plenty of micro-climates in neighborhoods to be found, as well surely all the more rental options.

That will take some looking in person to discern the exact little neighborhood one is happiest with (with also an eye to those possibly adjacent but overlooked that one is decidedly NOT pleased with).

But first, settling on a single general area. That likely greater Sacramento. So forget Reno.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:11 AM

322 posts, read 776,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readymixer View Post
hikethesky, I'm working a search similar to yours. I'm late 50's, early retired, empty nester but still working. I am considering a job transfer from Portland OR to Stockton CA. I've been scouring Zillow to find a woodsy, remote feeling small town in the Sierra foothills. The best I could find were log cabins in Twain Harte but they're not commutable to Stockton. Are you having any luck finding anything in the Sierras yet?
How about Paradise/Chico?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento