Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 12:20 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,294 times

Advertisements

lo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I don't doubt you, I know people from the Bay Area too that moved to SD and didn't care for it at all. It's not for everyone and that is fine. Personally unless you financially going to better off in SD, which isn't something most are going ot be given the costs, then I probably wouldn't move there considering how much you dislike the culture/scene of the area. I do think there is another San Diego that people don't bother to discover, the artsy/cultural side that many overlook due to the predominance of the beach culture. It is there imo but something that you likely have to put a bit more effort into seeking out than other cities and have the ability to not let certain cultural aspects and people get to you. I get the whole dumb-Socal airhead, beachy culture people complain about but it personally never was an issue for me. As I just said in another thread it might be because my social circle was primarily made up of fellow UCSD alumni or other people I met through them.
I actually found quite a few music venues to my liking in SD. They were hole in the wall places, but those are the types that I prefer. And I did find coffee, which I love as well. In fact, this barista in Pacific Beach gave a free Mocha on faith that I'd come back to pay (which I did) and a gym which I will not name let me work out for free. So, for the most part I had a positive experience with the peoole and I found the activities I enjoy. We also went to the DR Suess art gallery and another great art gallery in La Jolla with enhanced photos. We had a great time overall.

If I did move there I'd be a single guy making around $80k. Not rich but I'd be fine. As much as I loved the beach and nature in SD, there is just a soul and vibe in Sac that I love, and I know I'd miss it. I can understand why a lot of people dis Sac. But I really do love it. A lot of what people believe of Sac is built on reputation and a whole lot of things they do not even know are here. The only reason I would leave is to transfer out of this negative situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 01:04 AM

22 posts, read 40,849 times
I know SD pretty well and have only spent a few days in sac, but there was one thing that weirded me out when I visited sac. When I told young locals I was moving there the reactions I got were mostly of confusion. They didn't know why I would wanna leave LA and come to sac etc. This was really strange. If you tell people in LA or SD you're moving there they get stoked for you. Anyways, just an observation, but a discouraging one at that

Old 02-14-2015, 10:13 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponsor83 View Post
I know SD pretty well and have only spent a few days in sac, but there was one thing that weirded me out when I visited sac. When I told young locals I was moving there the reactions I got were mostly of confusion. They didn't know why I would wanna leave LA and come to sac etc. This was really strange. If you tell people in LA or SD you're moving there they get stoked for you. Anyways, just an observation, but a discouraging one at that
Well, if I was 25 again and wanted to get hammered every weekend and go to great clubs, I'd prob give you the same reaction. But I've said it before and I'll say it again - my social life in Sac has been a gazillion tines better than it ever was un San Francisco. My dating life night and day better (best period in my life, by far). Community vibe not even comparable. I don't think.I'd ever go back to the bay, which is supposedly more hip, cool etc than Sac. To each their own I guess.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:26 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,737,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbt263 View Post
sdurbanite, you a fool.

I love San Diego (nice city by the beach), but you are way off the mark in your most recent post about Sac.

Nobody really cares about shopping at an airport when deciding where to live. But if we're keeping score, SMF is way nicer than SAN. Way nicer.

Then you go on to claim SD has a better urban core than Sac (hmm), downplay the American River Parkway (which can easily be enjoyed year-round by the way), and Sac has a bad food scene? Study up, my friend.
Sure, whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20five
Of the three areas you mention, I think Denver will have the best nightlife.
Actually, they just released the list of 100 most profitable nightclubs in country and 8 are in San Diego, 1 in Denver and goose egg for Sacramento.

Likewise, Draft came out with their list of best beer bars and San Diego has 5, Denver 1, SAC.....another goose egg.

2015 Top 100 List | Nightclub & Bar

America’s 100 best beer bars, 2015 | DRAFT Magazine

Not sure when you lived here, but the nightlife here is better than ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20five
Sac will have the warmest evenings.
I'm guessing your memories of living in SD are fuzzy. San Diego has much warmers evenings, especially during the summer. It still drops to into the 50's up there, while it averages in the upper 60's here. It's also become more humid here in recent years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
SDurbanite;

Like I said, SD has amazing nature. That's why I come back. And hell, someday I may even give it a shot for that reason alone. "My dream" to live in a city, let alone that city?

LOLOOLOLOLOLOL.

What type of life do you live where it's a "dream" to live in a city? Not become something or do something, but to become a resident of a city? What an accomplishment, eh? And if simply living in a city were my life long dream, I could think of a zillion cooler ones than that city. Let alone the fact that I could literally transfer there tomorrow if I wanted to.

Sorry man, I love Sacramento.
SF, Seattle and Portland have also amazing nature, but for some reason you aren't you considering those places. Heck, you live 30 miles from Sacramento, why not just move to Midtown since you praise it so much? Just admit there is a positive energy here that you can't find in Sacramento. Unlike SAC, which is a one horse town with only one area with streetlife - Midtown, SD has tons of walkable strips, ie, Little Italy, North Park, South Park, Coronado, La Jolla, Del Mar, University Heights, Hillcrest, East Village, Gaslamp, Ocean Beach, Pacific Beach, Solana Beach, among others. Doesn't it get boring visiting the same 15 galleries in Midtown every week?

And this is where you get in trouble......Zillions of other places? I'm sorry, you can't think of 2 places you'd rather live than San Diego. But you're no different than anyone else. Lots of people wish they could live here.

Check out the Harris Poll which has asked the same question since 1997, "If you could live in or near any city in the country except the one you live in or nearest to now, which city would you choose?"

Are you surprised SD has ranked every years since the beginning and came in second for the past 3 surveys? Unless they misspelled it, I don't see Sacramento listed anywhere.

Harris Interactive: Harris Polls > California Stands Out as the State Where Americans Most

Old 02-14-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Dude, there is nothing "dynamic" about SD. At all. I am not exagerating when I say it is the slowest moving metro metro I've ever been to BY FAR. There's nothing remotely urban about it. I was in downtown on several weekdays and there is no foot OR car traffic at normal peak times. If people like you would just stop bragging about it people like me would not be hammering on it. Calling SD "dynamic" or an International city is quite literally a joke.
Like the way you pump up Midtown? LOL It's, nothing unique....Really.

Quote:
But as cities go? Your airport is a joke compared to ours. Your indoor stadium will be a joke compared to ours. Your infrastructure/roads are possibly worse than ours. You are right in that HillCrest may be more dense than midtown, but it's also dinky and you've left it almost as soon as you enter it. It's a mediocore city at BEST.
What you don't seem to understand is that Hillcrest is just part of the Greater Uptown neighborhoods. You talk about Midtown having a stronger sense of community, yet it's just one square mile area east of downtown. with one name. How is that significant? Uptown includes Hillcrest, North Park, South Park, Golden Hill, Bankers Hill, Normal Heights, University Heights, Kensington....And every one them has it's own commercial district.

Quote:
And SD can build another 50 highrise condos but it's not going to change the economy, or the energy or the culture. I literally met 2 or 3 people at the airpirt and car rental place that did not even know where Sacramento is. LOL! You live in CA and you don't know where the capitol of the state is? Hit the beach bro!
I already told you that Sacramento isn't blip on anyone's radar down here. You shouldn't be surprised.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Bro, compared to an even slower city like Sacramento there certainly is. Even compared to other more highly regarded cities, SD does very well as far as innovation largely due to it's strong biotech presence.

I get that San Diego is not the most vibrant downtown during the day like SF or even Seattle but it sure beats what you find in Downtown Sacramento still. It's ironic you say you don't use hyperbole when that is exactly what you do 90% of the time when talking about SD.

Yeah SD's airport is small but it has an incredibly convenient location and is quick to get in and out of. And despite how small it is, it still has over TWICE has many passenger boardings as Sacramento, lol. Later this year people will be able to access Tijuana's airport terminal via a passenger bridge on the US side too.

Cross-border pedestrian bridge linking San Diego with Tijuana's airport set for opening in next summer. | UTSanDiego.com

Cool, you'll have a better indoor stadium but seeing as SD has no NBA or NHL team I'm not really sure how much that really even matters. Have fun watching AAA baseball and driving to the Bay Area for NFL.

A lot of neighborhoods in SD are more dense than Midtown, it doesn't take much to be. Suburban UTC is way more dense than Midtown lol.

That's fine, maybe Sac can start with building 2 or 3 at least. Either way SD will still have a better economy, more energy, and more culture than Sac ever will.

You should follow the lead of other more level headed Sacramentan's and stick to the lower cost of living and proximity to skiing angle Sac has over SD. At least then your hyperbolical rants won't look so foolish.
Co-signed

Old 02-14-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
It's like I said; the reason I critique SD as hard as I do is so many San Diegans place such a high standard on the city. And they often do it in a manner that is dismissive to Sac or plenty of other cities. So, you have opened yourself up for a lot of criticism.

Honestly, I left SD believing I could live there. I did find a lot of music. I did find art. I had to re-evaluate my opinion of it in that respect in my last visit.

Also, I really enjoyed the beach, the weather, and the many options to explore nature. I found cool spanish architecture at the University of SD, and I left thinking "hey, you could explore a lot of things here. Maybe not the same things you love about Sac, but different things".

But as a city, my personal opinion is that Sac feels more urban, more progressive, more cultured, and it feels like it is going places. SD does not feel that way to me. And it is a bit lacking in culture, both in diversity and general social norms. I am not exaggerating when I stated that several employees at the airport and car rental place did not know where Sacramento is. I was wearing a very lightweight jacket, and one of them asked me if I was visiting the Northeast. LOL! I realized these are just employees at service oriented businesses, but it was surprising to say the least. You live in CA. You should know the basics of each region.

If people would stop hyping that city up to the disfavor of other cities, you'd probably never hear anyone like me critique it nearly as hard.
And here you go again, with your hot and cold about SD. First, you hate it, then a few posts later you are considering a move. LOL

You can't shake SD, so just admit it. It's ok, really. You invest so much time comparing SD to SAC that it's making you sick. You are obsessed with trying to convince others that SAC is superior in every single way, and when facts are presented to you, they are ignored. You're envious of SD the only way for you to convince yourself that it's bad is to make things up and make outrageous claims.

An huge indicator that your views are completely whack is that none of your fellow forumers seem to back up your claims. Like me, they cringe after reading your posts and wish you would just let this thread die and disappear.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Notice what a flaming Dyk he is in his response? 2 years ago I had a transfer actually approved for San Diego. Then I took a trip down there and changed my mind. People like him comprised some % of the "don't do it" pie. I preferred the friendly, real and down to earth culture here V some jackass that thinks everyone's goal in life is to live in his city. And I met other people just like him there.
But you've already bought your ticket for another visit this summer right? What's left for you to compare? How all trash cans down here have dents in them? You cell phone reception is better in SAC?

I'm looking forward to your next visit.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:

You may feel the same way about San.Diego. I just do not see a single thing - not one - where it outdoes Sac. I've now been all over SD, in every part, and for the reasons I listed I really feel as though in the next 20 yrs it will be a 4th tier California city behind, LA, SF and Sac. Again, that's my honest, unbiased opinion.
I know I shouldn't ask, but what in what areas do you think SAC outdoes SD?

Another classic...........SD to be a 4th tier city in 20 years. You can't make this stuff up.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbt263 View Post
Downtown Sac is better, IMO.

"Sac is a place people desperately try to leave." Sac area has since 1960 been one of the fastest growing metros in the USA. But yeah, you're right, everyone is itching to leave. /sarcasm.
Source on that growth rate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento