Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 06:25 AM

6,904 posts, read 8,271,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post

Here's a typical weekend night in the Gaslamp, you tell me if it looks and sounds like anywhere in SAC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRcPw_fVveA
That's a good video showing street life in downtown SD. Sacramento has continuous active street life like that in a 2-3 sq. block area on a Friday/Sat night in 3 different locations. Although not as continuously extensive as SD's downtown districts, but it's still a concentrations of bar, clubs, restaurants, and interesting shops that attracts a tourist element from outside areas. I've been all over SD's downtown grid a few times in the past year, we've rented a loft-apt about five blocks from the baseball stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 06:53 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
That's a good video showing street life in downtown SD. Sacramento has continuous active street life like that in a 2-3 sq. block area on a Friday/Sat night in 3 different locations. Although not as continuously extensive as SD's downtown districts, but it's still a concentrations of bar, clubs, restaurants, and interesting shops that attracts a tourist element from outside areas. I've been all over SD's downtown grid a few times in the past year, we've rented a loft-apt about five blocks from the baseball stadium.
All I see in that video are drunk college kids and loud clubs. True, SD has more of that than Sac and I don't think anyone is debating that fact. I've posted many times that if I were 25 again and into that sort of thing, SD would be my choice hands down. Go get hammered, talk to girls, and in all likelihood witness 1 or 2 bar fights. Not my thing at all now. But since I was in that phase at one time in my life, I can completely understand how/why other people love it, and I offer no judgement of them in that respect.

What I like about Sac though (and prefer over SD) is that there is tons of nightlife in a more mellow, community oriented environment. Yes, we have clubs if you want that. But we also have a portion of K ST around 20th closed off for months on various weeknights for live music, we have 2nd Saturday for a good portion of the year with art/music/local vendors open late, a million +1 dive bars and ethnic restaurants if that is your thing, etc. You can actually meet people here without being on guard or putting on an act. It's not uncommon in a bar to see a 60+ year old man and a 21 year old girl next to him ordering a drink. Last weekend I went to a country bar to hear a friend's band play and the dance floor filled up by song #2 with people line dancing in unison. Had a great time in a bar I didn't even know existed, in a music genre' I'd normally not listen to. No one cares here. No one puts on an act.

If other people want or need to believe other places are better, let them. I prefer to keep Sac under the radar so that it does not blow up like Seattle did when it got discovered. We have a good economic/entrepreneurial energy right now, and if this city can be both urban and intimate it is the best of both worlds, IMO.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:48 PM

68 posts, read 109,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post

If other people want or need to believe other places are better, let them. I prefer to keep Sac under the radar so that it does not blow up like Seattle did when it got discovered. We have a good economic/entrepreneurial energy right now, and if this city can be both urban and intimate it is the best of both worlds, IMO.
Summed it up quite nicely. "Urban and intimate" describes it perfectly. I love Sacramento.

And sdurbanite, I stand by my Sac = California's Portland proclamation 100%. I do worry what will happen when that secret gets out due to the Kings new arena and FC Republic ascension to MLS (with immediate budding rivalries with Portland, Seattle, and LA). SF/Bay Area people will flock here in far greater #s than we've ever seen before.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:03 AM

⌃⌃⌃⌃⌃
sacit and fbt263,

True that, good responses, "Intimate and Urban" , weren't those my words somewhere in one of my thousand posts,

Old 02-18-2015, 04:36 AM

Quote:

I never understood why people think the weather in SD is better than LA, or vice versa. It's pretty much the same.
LAX(airport) sits right next to the ocean, SAN(airport) sits right next to the Bay and is very close to the ocean; that's why their weather is almost identical.

Your link is about actual full-on cloudy days not fog and low clouds that burn off in the morning, and it compares LAX with SAN. LAX(airport) does not represent most of LA city weather; whereas SAN airport does represent much of San Diego city weather.

LAX and SAN(airport) are going to be very much alike weather wise. Much of San Diego is like LA from the 405 West to the beaches(Malibu, Santa Monica, Manhattan-Hermosa-Redondo). But not like LA from the 405 East inland towards Hollywood and Downtown LA.

Downtown SD sits on the bay and is very close to beaches and it gets foggy and lasts longer as it does in LA from the 405 West. But from the 405 East inland to Hollywood and Downtown LA it's less foggy or none at all.

The "salt smell in the air" from the ocean is strong in downtown SD, Point Loma, Clairemont, Mission Valley; whereas, the "salt smell in the air" from the ocean in Hollywood and Downtown LA not so strong unless you head west to Santa Monica.

These are all subtle differences, marginal at that, but with the monotonous weather in SoCal these small nuances separate one city from the next.

This is what they mean when they say, "SD is foggy, LA is not".

*Note - The Fog in SD is 10 degrees warmer and less windy than SF, it doesn't feel "cold" as in SF foggy-cold.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:15 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Quote:
The Gaslamp is 16 continuous blocks of what you see in the video....Packed sidewalks, big dance clubs, rooftop bars, lots of outdoor seating for people watching, etc. That doesn't even count the East Village, which is where you rented the loft apt. That area is where you find more of the cocktail/lounge scene. In nearby Little Italy is another active pedestrian cluster of bars/restaurants with a mellower vibe, craft cocktails, wine and beer bars.

And in addition to downtown, there's active pockets of nightlife in Hillcrest (Gay), North Park (Ground zero for craft beer), Pacific Beach (Stereotypical So Cal peeps), Ocean Beach (Beach scene), Mission Beach, Del Mar/La Jolla (Cougars galore)...lots of nightlife choices, for sure.

So is the area around Lowbrau one of the clusters you are talking about for Sacramento? I think there are a couple gay bars across the street? I also recall seeing places near the light rail that looked liked they were clubs.

Feel free to send me Direct Message next time you are in SD and I can tell you where you need to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique
LAX(airport) sits right next to the ocean, SAN(airport) sits right next to the Bay and is very close to the ocean; that's why their weather is almost identical.
We agree here

Quote:
Your link is about actual full-on cloudy days not fog and low clouds that burn off in the morning, and it compares LAX with SAN. LAX(airport) does not represent most of LA city weather; whereas SAN airport does represent much of San Diego city weather.
But Lindbergh Field doesn't represent the weather for all of SD, because most people don't live along the coast. I live 7 miles from the coast. As you may or may not recall, you add 1 degree for every mile you move away from the coast. When it's 77 at the airport, it's always 84/85 degrees at my house (perfect if you ask me). I've always thought that the official temp of SD should be at Montgomery Field which is pretty much in the middle of the city.

Intellicast - San Diego/Montgomery Field Historic Weather Averages in California

Quote:
LAX and SAN(airport) are going to be very much alike weather wise. Much of San Diego is like LA from the 405 West to the beaches(Malibu, Santa Monica, Manhattan-Hermosa-Redondo). But not like LA from the 405 East inland towards Hollywood and Downtown LA.
But if downtown SD was built where El Cajon is now, it would have the same weather as downtown LA. And Vice versa, if DTLA were built where Santa Monica is now, we'd have the same averages.

Quote:
Downtown SD sits on the bay and is very close to beaches and it gets foggy and lasts longer as it does in LA from the 405 West. But from the 405 East inland to Hollywood and Downtown LA it's less foggy or none at all.
I don't think there is a big difference. The last place it clears up along the coast in SD is La Jolla. In LA, I think it's Santa Monica. Coronado is the least foggy beach in the county, because Point Loma protects it. I can honestly say that we haven't had long streches of cloudy days for 3 years now. It's crazy. And the humidity over the past few years? I snapped this from the Weather Channel last Summer. It was as steamy as the deep South. We had dedicated threads in the SD forum complaining about it LOL

Quote:
The "salt smell in the air" from the ocean is strong in downtown SD, Point Loma, Clairemont, Mission Valley; whereas, the "salt smell in the air" from the ocean in Hollywood and Downtown LA not so strong unless you head west to Santa Monica.

These are all subtle differences, marginal at that, but with the monotonous weather in SoCal these small nuances separate one city from the next.

This is what they mean when they say, "SD is foggy, LA is not".
You can't smell the ocean in Hillcrest, which is where I lived for many years. I'm guessing the bay masks it or because it sits on a mesa?

Quote:
*Note - The Fog in SD is 10 degrees warmer and less windy than SF, it doesn't feel "cold" as in SF foggy-cold.
Which is one reason I could never live in SF. Thanks for letting me geek out on weather with you

Old 02-20-2015, 02:03 AM

Quote:

But Lindbergh Field doesn't represent the weather for all of SD, because most people don't live along the coast. I live 7 miles from the coast. As you may or may not recall, you add 1 degree for every mile you move away from the coast. When it's 77 at the airport, it's always 84/85 degrees at my house (perfect if you ask me). I've always thought that the official temp of SD should be at Montgomery Field which is pretty much in the middle of the city.
Ok, I'm going to geek out on weather comparisons.

I had the good fortune to have lived all across the LA Basin and I grew up in Clairemont(SD)- where you always smelled the salt in the air. especially at night and in the morning. Where I lived it blew up the incline from PB(Pacific Beach) over a few small canyons right on top of the mesa.

LA and SD weather are almost identical as such:

SD - from the 805 west to the ocean.
LA - from the 405 west to the ocean.

But, the LA basin is large and flat (excluding the Santa Monica Mts.) from the 405 east to Bev Hills, Hollywood, Downtown LA and south of the 10; SD doesn't have the equivalent of that. SD is mesas, canyons, hills and a narrow valley(mission valley).

SD weather is like coastal LA, but with no LA Basin weather, and the hotter weather like Pasadena-Glendale-Burbank and Inland Empire heat.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
The Gaslamp is 16 continuous blocks of what you see in the video....Packed sidewalks, big dance clubs, rooftop bars, lots of outdoor seating for people watching, etc. That doesn't even count the East Village, which is where you rented the loft apt. That area is where you find more of the cocktail/lounge scene. In nearby Little Italy is another active pedestrian cluster of bars/restaurants with a mellower vibe, craft cocktails, wine and beer bars.

And in addition to downtown, there's active pockets of nightlife in Hillcrest (Gay), North Park (Ground zero for craft beer), Pacific Beach (Stereotypical So Cal peeps), Ocean Beach (Beach scene), Mission Beach, Del Mar/La Jolla (Cougars galore)...lots of nightlife choices, for sure.

So is the area around Lowbrau one of the clusters you are talking about for Sacramento? I think there are a couple gay bars across the street? I also recall seeing places near the light rail that looked liked they were clubs.

Feel free to send me Direct Message next time you are in SD and I can tell you where you need to go.
Next time I go down to SD I'll let you know.

In Sacramento, Crowded nightlife-streetlife scene similar to your video would be in 2-3 sq. block radius from:
20th & K
15th & R
10th & K
16th & L
19th & L
Old Sacramento on Holidays and special events/festivals

Old 02-20-2015, 09:12 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
Don't forget the half-dozen bars and clubs around 21st and P (Press Club, Benny's, Pour House, Alley Katz, Old Tavern and Starlite, Zebra Club, and another craft brewery set to open at 19th and P), "the Block" at 27th and J Street (Harlows et al) and the restaurant row on Broadway, especially between Tower Theater and New Helvetia Brewery.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:31 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Ok, I'm going to geek out on weather comparisons.

I had the good fortune to have lived all across the LA Basin and I grew up in Clairemont(SD)- where you always smelled the salt in the air. especially at night and in the morning. Where I lived it blew up the incline from PB(Pacific Beach) over a few small canyons right on top of the mesa.

LA and SD weather are almost identical as such:

SD - from the 805 west to the ocean.
LA - from the 405 west to the ocean.

But, the LA basin is large and flat (excluding the Santa Monica Mts.) from the 405 east to Bev Hills, Hollywood, Downtown LA and south of the 10; SD doesn't have the equivalent of that. SD is mesas, canyons, hills and a narrow valley(mission valley).

SD weather is like coastal LA, but with no LA Basin weather, and the hotter weather like Pasadena-Glendale-Burbank and Inland Empire heat.
How does SD not have "LA Basin weather" when places like La Mesa are nearly identical to Downtown LA temps? Places like Escondido aren't that much different than places like Glendale temp wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento