Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 10:42 AM

323 posts, read 1,008,582 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 01:46 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
4th & T is in Southside Park, which was the hotspot for prostitution until the early 1980s, when neighborhood activists pushed it into Midtown near 17th & J, where other neighborhood activists pushed it into Oak Park near Broadway. Broadway & 14th bumps into the city limits.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:32 PM

264 posts, read 413,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay West View Post
I'm speaking to parts of West Tahoe Park and Tahoe Terrace as well In relation to UCDMC as they are also walking distance. The Med Center is planning to add another 200 Ph.Ds and 2500 support staff in the next build out phase.
Where did you learn of this? Couldn't Google it out. Any more details like when?

Old 03-21-2015, 05:12 PM

82 posts, read 215,215 times
i just wanted to thank all of you for such a detailed and thoroughly informative thread. we are looking to buy in Sacto and you guys have all really given us much food for thought. thanks so much!

Old 03-21-2015, 06:14 PM

7 posts, read 7,509 times
Default Thanks!

I'm with jamnkats; fascinating conversation; wish I had stumbled on this thread in January! My wife and are new to Sacramento, and we've been window-shopping all over since then, but our main focus is North Oak Park & Tahoe Park.

I've learned so much from everyone here; very generous. Thanks 1,000,000.

About that place on 1st Ave. in NOP ("http://tinyurl.com/mq27gxd" -- sorry, to untrustworthy to do active links yet) does anyone know the history there? There are 3 matching-ish 1920's (?) brick houses side by side ... with giant redwoods dominating the front yards. Are they Tudors?

I dug up online a fossil record of the earlier sale, with the blurb: "In need of updating and interior repairs, there are also probable structural issues with the home." (In fact, this somehow made onto the current Zillow listing!) So your warning, xenxes, about foundation inspection (hmm, giant redwoods?) is very apt. A sewer-system inspection would be good too, no?

My main Q is why, given everything said here about NOP recent sales and trends, is this priced so low? Presumably, the sellers know the market ... makes me think there's Something the flippers couldn't or wouldn't fix in their 5-month turnaround time. Or because: no garage?

I'm sure you're right though, xenxes: this will go for $300K+, even if it turns out to be a typical flipper cosmetic reno with a few non-glaring "structural issues."

Old 03-22-2015, 01:31 AM

113 posts, read 159,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlo View Post
I'm with jamnkats; fascinating conversation; wish I had stumbled on this thread in January! My wife and are new to Sacramento, and we've been window-shopping all over since then, but our main focus is North Oak Park & Tahoe Park.

I've learned so much from everyone here; very generous. Thanks 1,000,000.

About that place on 1st Ave. in NOP ("http://tinyurl.com/mq27gxd" -- sorry, to untrustworthy to do active links yet) does anyone know the history there? There are 3 matching-ish 1920's (?) brick houses side by side ... with giant redwoods dominating the front yards. Are they Tudors?

I dug up online a fossil record of the earlier sale, with the blurb: "In need of updating and interior repairs, there are also probable structural issues with the home." (In fact, this somehow made onto the current Zillow listing!) So your warning, xenxes, about foundation inspection (hmm, giant redwoods?) is very apt. A sewer-system inspection would be good too, no?

My main Q is why, given everything said here about NOP recent sales and trends, is this priced so low? Presumably, the sellers know the market ... makes me think there's Something the flippers couldn't or wouldn't fix in their 5-month turnaround time. Or because: no garage?

I'm sure you're right though, xenxes: this will go for $300K+, even if it turns out to be a typical flipper cosmetic reno with a few non-glaring "structural issues."
1. Because it's still North Oak Park

2. It's priced right, but inventory and competition will push it to $300k+ like you said.

I'm starting to regret making this thread now since people are now googling the area and finding this info. Thus increasing my competition! Lol

I went and looked at this house. Nice area and neighborhood. Very heavy Indian/Muslim families on this block (multi generation compounds). The house has been flipped somewhat cheaply. The floors are original, but unpolished. Kitchen tiles are an interesting choice, especially with the cheap wood cabinets. New base boards but are crooked and not the greatest. Bathroom is alright, but small. Also they chose to keep the original tub, which is in gross condition and I would replace immediately. Wall tiles are also a bit shoddy.

Overall you'd still be buying somewhat of a fixer upper. None of the fixtures are impressive, cheap dual pane windows and visible wood rot on the outside of the sills. I want to love this house, and I still love its potential, but people are going bananas over NOP now that it's starting to get a little absurd. For a $300k+ that still needs a lot of upgrading, you might as well just spend a little more and buy in Curtis Park

Old 03-22-2015, 11:06 AM

136 posts, read 211,482 times
Quote:
Where did you learn of this? Couldn't Google it out. Any more details like when?
http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/facilit...28FINAL%29.pdf

Quote:
I want to love this house, and I still love its potential, but people are going bananas over NOP now that it's starting to get a little absurd. For a $300k+ that still needs a lot of upgrading, you might as well just spend a little more and buy in Curtis Park
You can get a Boulevard Terrace WK beauty over in West Tahoe Park!
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Sacramento.../home/19422950

Glad folks are finding this info useful. Don't get too hung up on that home on 1st ave. There's better homes and better streets in the North Oak Park / Tahoe Park area priced in that range.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I'm starting to regret making this thread now since people are now googling the area and finding this info. Thus increasing my competition! Lol

I went and looked at this house. Nice area and neighborhood. Very heavy Indian/Muslim families on this block (multi generation compounds). The house has been flipped somewhat cheaply. The floors are original, but unpolished. Kitchen tiles are an interesting choice, especially with the cheap wood cabinets. New base boards but are crooked and not the greatest. Bathroom is alright, but small. Also they chose to keep the original tub, which is in gross condition and I would replace immediately. Wall tiles are also a bit shoddy.

Overall you'd still be buying somewhat of a fixer upper. None of the fixtures are impressive, cheap dual pane windows and visible wood rot on the outside of the sills. I want to love this house, and I still love its potential, but people are going bananas over NOP now that it's starting to get a little absurd. For a $300k+ that still needs a lot of upgrading, you might as well just spend a little more and buy in Curtis Park
Decent bones, and interior cute, but oh yes it's a pretty stingy reno. My wife read your comments and said "Spot on!", esp. the part about the horrid tub.

Aside from no garage/storage and old/inadequate electrics (and no drier vent!), it needs pestwork and critter-proofing (thick rat droppings in the basement). And that's just what you can see. Who knows what the inspection/disclosures will reveal.

I predict it will sell with no or few contingencies for $315K; add $50K or more to do a serious upgrade, and yes, Stay West, affordability going going gone.

So NOP joins Curtis Park and Elmhurst and East Sac on our academic interest list -- no real competition from us there, xenxes; time to focus on Tahoe Park and Colonial Heights for affordability. Many recent sales are still under the list price.

If I wanted to get into a conversation about that, should it be in a separate thread?

Old 03-22-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
You can get a Boulevard Terrace WK beauty over in West Tahoe Park!
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Sacramento.../home/19422950

Glad folks are finding this info useful. Don't get too hung up on that home on 1st ave. There's better homes and better streets in the North Oak Park / Tahoe Park area priced in that range.
As charming as it is on the outside, it's definitely not a reno & needs a lot of work inside, and maybe more after disclosures & inspection. Overpriced at $350K? Who can say until it's sold? If it goes for that or more, isn't that the right price? I just don't want to do the work at that price.

The agent at the OH said upfront the one thing I just hate to hear, and is a bright red flag: "I don't know anything more than what's in the listing." Why is that? By way of explanation, she said: "It's a trust sale." OK, but still: can't you work up *some* info?

And thanks so much for the words of encouragement and reassurance.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:05 PM

136 posts, read 211,482 times
Quote:
As charming as it is on the outside, it's definitely not a reno & needs a lot of work inside, and maybe more after disclosures & inspection. Overpriced at $350K? Who can say until it's sold? If it goes for that or more, isn't that the right price? I just don't want to do the work at that price.

The agent at the OH said upfront the one thing I just hate to hear, and is a bright red flag: "I don't know anything more than what's in the listing." Why is that? By way of explanation, she said: "It's a trust sale." OK, but still: can't you work up *some* info?
It is ridiculous when selling agents are so clueless. Zillow says the home is in default, so their negotiating power may not be very strong. I can tell you that these WK tudors are easier to do work on because they are on raised foundations and have plenty of attic space. So modernizing electrical, HVAC and plumbing doesn't require tearing open walls and such. Also Boulevard Terrace is notable for pride in ownership & neighborliness. So sometimes you pay a premium for good neighbors. Hard to say what it's worth yeah, but it's a much safer gamble than a lot of North OP area homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento