Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 10:38 PM

4 posts, read 11,699 times

Advertisements

Hi! I currently live in Elk Grove and my family is very interested in moving to Folsom. We are considering the area because the schools are highly rated, less crime, great trails, and about a 25-minute commute to my work. I was just wondering if anyone who lives in Folsom can tell me about their experiences. Is it a great place for families? I’ve read reviews about the schools, but I don’t actually know anyone who has gone through the schools or have children enrolled. My child is only a toddler, but once we move, we plan on staying put for a long time – at least until our kids are in college. I was just wondering if anyone can offer any information on the good and/or bad general experiences they have had. Do you love living there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 01:35 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I lived in Folsom a short time, and know people who raised kids there in the school system. The schools are amazing. The high school built an amazing theater that the community uses for shows, etc. It's a very nice town with a great old town area, the factory outlet stores, and it's clean and attractive and safe. You'd never know there was a prison in town, it's not an obvious structure that sticks out.

It's also very close to wine country and the foothills, and an easy drive up to Auburn, Placerville, etc.

It was a tad too cookie-cutter, upscale suburban, white, for me. I like a town with a little more college influence or edge or granola to it.

But, if you're into upscale suburban living, you'll love it. There are a lot of greenbelt walking/biking paths, too. It is pretty hot in summer, though, so be prepared for that, too.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:41 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
Folsom is a great place, great schools and family friendly. Every neighborhood is different, you have to find the one that works best for you.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 7,203 times
I am debating moving to either Folsom or Paso Robles. I am 52, single professional and will be able to buy a home and telecomute 80%. Thoughts?

Old 04-09-2015, 08:02 PM

358 posts, read 348,814 times
Is Folsom more upscale than Citrus Heights?

Old 04-09-2015, 09:17 PM

518 posts, read 871,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn63 View Post
Is Folsom more upscale than Citrus Heights?
Yes.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:49 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIOLET17 View Post
I was just wondering if anyone who lives in Folsom can tell me about their experiences. Is it a great place for families?

I was just wondering if anyone can offer any information on the good and/or bad general experiences they have had. Do you love living there?
I live in Folsom and the majority of people who live here love it, including myself. There are those who don't & I'm sure they will pop up on the forum shortly.

It's great for all types of people, families, singles, professionals, etc....depending of if you enjoy suburb life, appreciate a well planned community, interlocking bike/walking trails throughout the neighborhoods all the way to the American River Parkway, easy access to Folsom & Natomas Lake, the aquatic center...so basically lots of outdoors activities, and the community is super active with many different types of events. There is lots of shopping, but much of it is just like everywhere else. Roseville has the biggest selection of shopping. Folsom has an outdoor lifestyle shopping center. It reminds me of The Maze. Lots of hot stucco & little trees, so very little protection from the elements. The Fountains in Roseville is 110% better. There are some unique stores on Sutter St. Not a whole lot of unique, non-chain restaurants (maybe 3 decent ones), but tons of pizza, mexican, chinese and burger places.

The only thing that I personally wouldnt like, is if I had to commute during commuter hours heading towards downtown. There is a carpool lane, but for the most part, there is only 2 lanes for everyone else until you get to Hazel, then it expands to 3 lanes plus the carpool lane. I was on the road at 630 this morning & traffic was thick heading into downtown. There is light rail available from Folsom to downtown, but from what I hear its a love/hate relationship for most people, even the state workers who get free vouchers (like my SIL). Lots of homeless aboard making things nasty for the working folk. My SIL drives for months until she gets sick of it, and then switches to LT until she gets sick of it, she cycles back & forth.

As far as bad experiences, the one thing I have noticed is a sense of entitlement among many of the residents. Crime has increased with the recent mailbox break-ins, that has stopped now, but it was nightly in multiple neighborhoods. There's also been an increase in home entry attempts (or successes), and other petty crimes...with Folsom being a middle-upper income neighborhood with many people working during the day, it seems like easy pickins for thieves, catalytic converter thefts, door to door salesmen suspicious activity, and the recent influx of the roma beggars. I dont think any of these are specific to only Folsom, except perhaps the entitlement issue.

And then there is the idiotic idea of the S50 development during the drought. There is no water supply for S50, except what is saved by the N50 residents. They are trying to pave over every empty parcel in Folsom, including protected, natural habitats, but are getting around the loopholes. As usual, the developers are in bed with the city council & lots of mad residents. Just an idea how special Folsom thinks they are, a few years back, they refused to abide by the state mandate to include a certain percentage of housing for low income. They were able to do so for a few years, then they got fined, and now we have low income housing.

It's not perfect by any means, but it's a great place to live...for now.

If you want to talk to more people who live in Folsom, I would suggest checking out the local Folsom forum, PM me for the website.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyrose11 View Post
I am debating moving to either Folsom or Paso Robles. I am 52, single professional and will be able to buy a home and telecomute 80%. Thoughts?
The two cities are hardly comparable. What type of city do you prefer?

Old 04-10-2015, 11:47 AM

4 posts, read 10,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post

I was on the road at 630 this morning & traffic was thick heading into downtown. There is light rail available from Folsom to downtown, but from what I hear its a love/hate relationship for most people, even the state workers who get free vouchers (like my SIL). Lots of homeless aboard making things nasty for the working folk. My SIL drives for months until she gets sick of it, and then switches to LT until she gets sick of it, she cycles back & forth.
How bad is the commute at 6:30. Google was saying it takes maybe 35 minutes to downtown

Old 04-10-2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatoo View Post
How bad is the commute at 6:30. Google was saying it takes maybe 35 minutes to downtown
It depends on what's happening on the road. If it's raining, traffic will be slower because Sacramento drivers don't know how to drive in the rain, or fog. The traffic is always moving, and I havent been stuck at a dead stop due to an accident...yet. But I've seen it when I do the reverse commute. It's like driving in a herd of wall to wall cars all driving at 60-70 mph, or faster. There is no room for errors. High intensity. But I get to my 1st destination in East Sac within 25 minutes (I'm always looking for the open road, so stay out of my way, ). The traffic gets really clogged at my exit, 65th & even worse at the 99/50 exchange. It's lots of fun to get to the other side, it's doable, especially once you learn the traffic patterns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento