Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 07:50 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,567,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
As a San Josean, I have also felt the same way about SF. Seems like every time I go up there it's like all the money has been vacuumed out of my wallet and I had to deal with long lines or some other inconvenience while paying for the privilege. And it hasn't gotten any better since the city has jacked up parking rates and installed meters in areas that previously didn't have them while transit into and out of the city has not improved.
Yes, I actually prefer San Jose to SF now. And that is usually where I end up when I head to the bay area. San Jose has a smaller, less energetic downtown, but I enjoy its vibe nonetheless. Some nice coffee shops, music venues, hooka, etc. Plus, it is right at the base of the beautiful Santa Cruz Mountains. My GF and I really love going to Los Gatos just to soak in the scenery and browse the little boutique stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILife09 View Post
I definitely have left many times. Just returned only recently. I think once you see other cities that do have a lot of energy and are just must better designed, then the flaws of Sac really become more pronounced. Like I said the majority of people I grew up with here have left and never plan to return. It's not a terrible place to be, but there are so many better places to live than Sac.
Most people that grew up in one place claim they'll never come back when they leave. I've heard the same thing from New Yorkers, Angelinos, and ironically, many San Franciscans. You find a ton of people who flee the bay for say, Seattle, and claim they've never looked back or wanted to return. I think that is a function of the human condition more so than the flaws of any particular city.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:37 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,990,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Not likely. Sacto doesnt have that many tech jobs. Just enough to keep the place going.
Sacto does not have many decent jobs, in general. That and it's undesirable location is what keeps it affordable.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:38 PM

6,879 posts, read 8,215,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Sacto does not have many decent jobs, in general. That and it's undesirable location is what keeps it affordable.
It's kind of cool you are so obsessed with Sacramento.

Yeah Sacramento is a DESIRABLE location. I can have two houses one on the American River within walking distance of the American River where I can bring the kayak or raft down for great a sorjourn on the water, or bike the American River bike trail. The other house near midtown with a big backyard and garden.

I can bike or light rail to work in 25 mins and if I drive it takes 9mins. I have two very large parks one block away from these houses with a pool, basketball courts, volleyball, baseball diamonds, playground.

Then there is the cool midtown apt we have within walking distance of great restaurants, some of the best coffee shops in the nation, bars, shops, beer gardens. All THREE combined under $900,000.

OH look, Sacramento is on Another Great Cities list:
6 Great Small Cities for Food Lovers - WSJ

AS IF Santa Cruz has lots of high paying jobs, NOT. AND Santa Cruz real estate is completely untouchable for 80% of the population.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post

Yeah Sacramento is a DESIRABLE location. I can have two houses one on the American River within walking distance of the American River where I can bring the kayak or raft down for great a sorjourn on the water, or bike the American River bike trail. The other house near midtown with a big backyard and garden.

I can bike or light rail to work in 25 mins and if I drive it takes 9mins. I have two very large parks one block away from these houses with a pool, basketball courts, volleyball, baseball diamonds, playground.

Then there is the cool midtown apt we have within walking distance of great restaurants, some of the best coffee shops in the nation, bars, shops, beer gardens. All THREE combined under $900,000.

AS IF Santa Cruz has lots of high paying jobs, NOT. AND Santa Cruz real estate is completely untouchable for 80% of the population.
Good points. And I am LOVING the weather right now. One of my favorite times of year is right now, when I can head up to old Fair Oaks for coffee and take a walk across the pedestrian bridge by the river. There are some really great aspects of living in this area, from the nature, to the people, to the cost of living. I have no idea why some people are so bent on trying to prove it sucks because it's not what some other city is.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:50 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,990,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post

LoL Santa Cruz's key employer is government, like Sacramento.

The difference in homeowner ship rates between the two cities is like 5 percent.

As cheap as Sacramento is, there simply is not a robust enough job market for many to take advantage of the cheap prices. The affordable working and middle class homes in Sac are equally as likely to be owned by a mega company or chinese investor, as they are an actual homeowner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento