Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2015, 11:54 PM

127 posts, read 207,958 times

Advertisements

I know a veteran who is a senior and he hasn't been given a raise at his job in four years. He had mentioned it to a co-worker, and one of his supervisors got wind of it and reprimanded him for saying something. Is this age discrimination? Should he file a complaint with DFHE or contact an employment lawyer? Also, he had a work comp injury with them a while back and there was an agreement to have a certain type of position for him, which they have not been fully complying with. He didn't use a lawyer for the work comp. Any advice? Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 03:03 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,935,697 times
There's lots of age discrimination suits that are filed- but i don't think that not getting a raise would count as a justifiable discrimination. It's usually about getting fired- or not being hired at all. But if you want to know for sure you should contact an attorney who focuses in age discrimination. Workers comp info would be a different type of attorney- what do you mean about a certain type of position? Like he is not able to perform the job they gave him?

Old 03-14-2015, 08:12 PM

42,767 posts, read 26,060,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junie136 View Post
I know a veteran who is a senior and he hasn't been given a raise at his job in four years. He had mentioned it to a co-worker, and one of his supervisors got wind of it and reprimanded him for saying something. Is this age discrimination? Should he file a complaint with DFHE or contact an employment lawyer? Also, he had a work comp injury with them a while back and there was an agreement to have a certain type of position for him, which they have not been fully complying with. He didn't use a lawyer for the work comp. Any advice? Thx.
Most companies have a written policy forbidding you from talking about your salary to co-workers, but if all that happened was a reprimand I don't think he could do much even if they didn't have a written policy. I don't see any evidence of age discrimination unless everyone but him got pay raises and he can prove he didn't get one because of his age.

Was the agreement to give him a certain position in writing? If not there is probably no way to enforce it, but if the worker's comp case still open he might want to talk to an attorney and get the job offer in writing.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Most companies have a written policy forbidding you from talking about your salary to co-workers, but if all that happened was a reprimand I don't think he could do much even if they didn't have a written policy. I don't see any evidence of age discrimination unless everyone but him got pay raises and he can prove he didn't get one because of his age.

Was the agreement to give him a certain position in writing? If not there is probably no way to enforce it, but if the worker's comp case still open he might want to talk to an attorney and get the job offer in writing.
Yes, the agreement was in writing. And everyone else has gotten raises except for him, and they're all younger.

Last edited by junie136; 03-16-2015 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-16-2015, 10:16 PM

42,767 posts, read 26,060,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junie136 View Post
Yes, the agreement was in writing. And everyone else has gotten raises except for him, and they're all younger.
Most communities have free or sliding scale legal assistance for senior citizens, maybe you could research that and have him get in touch with an attorney? If the comp settlement was part of a formal agreement that was filed with the WCAB I think any attorney would be delighted to get it reopened and get a different settlement based on the employer not living up to their agreement that they would give him a job accommodating his injury.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Most communities have free or sliding scale legal assistance for senior citizens, maybe you could research that and have him get in touch with an attorney? If the comp settlement was part of a formal agreement that was filed with the WCAB I think any attorney would be delighted to get it reopened and get a different settlement based on the employer not living up to their agreement that they would give him a job accommodating his injury.
Thanks for the advice, that's awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento