Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 11:44 PM

175 posts, read 250,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InGateway View Post
Naw, I didn't see that world when I lived in Auburn. I mean ya its more built up than Colfax or Grass Valley, but the mentality there was backwards too I hate to break it to you. People just hid it better but much of it still has a hills have eyes feel.. That whole Gold Country area is bad. I say if the OP is used to the city, stay around there just find some better place to live nearby, even Vacaville if he has to. Anywhere but Auburn, Placerville, Colfax or Grass Valley though. Nevada City is literally untouchable.

But ya don't mislead the OP by saying Auburn is city-ish, it still has a LONG way to go. a long long long way to go still until it gets anywhere near as cosmopolitan as Sacramento and even Sacramento has a ways to go next to other metros. That's my 2 cents.
The op said he and his girlfriend want it to be safe to walk their dogs at night, so that rules out everything except areas of incorporated auburn close to downtown. Vacaville, the downtown is sketchy but there are nice suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 11:54 PM

175 posts, read 250,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOwl View Post
We are looking into Meadow Vista, Auburn, Placerville or maybe even el dorado hills. Thanks for all the ideas. It's overwhelming to pick up stakes after 33 years but we are doing it soon! A golf area in Copperopolis is also of interest because we love Yosemite as well.

Retirement leaves a lot of decisions to make, and we can only hope we chose the right place to live!
Trying to find a safe, easy access home near the snow line is not only hard to do, but there are so many places!

I've looked for a year, and have still only narrowed down to like 5 places. Daughter and Grandchild are in San francisco, but forget that area....
Thnx for the input on this post, everyone.
El dorado Hills and Folsom are very VERY safe for walking dogs at night. Safer than Auburn.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:22 PM

62 posts, read 98,721 times
Thanks to everyone for their insightful information.

I have another comparison that I need some opinions on. I am looking to stay in the Sacramento area, but want to escape the summer heat of the city. I have obviously looked into Auburn, Grass Valley, Nevada City, etc. But, I have also looked into towns that sit higher on highway 50, such as Placerville, Camino and Pollock Pines. These towns get a bit more snow in the winter, but I wouldn't mind the cooler weather in the summer in exchange for a little more winter snow. I have driven to all of these towns and enjoy being in each of them, which is why I cannot decide where the best place would be for me. This is why I want to hear from some of the locals that reside in each of these areas would work out the best for myself. I would probably be commuting close to the Sacramento area somewhere for work.

I will probably be looking to rent for a few years and I'm probably looking to spend around 1,200-1500 a month for a place. Also, when ready, I am looking to purchase a home in the 300-350k range and am looking for a safe place to raise a family of my own. I want to live in a town that has history and some character/charm. Mountain views and somewhere with a lot of space from other properties/houses is pretty important to me as well, as I enjoy being a little more isolated. Also, a city where I could go out running at night with the dog and not have to worry about anything. Which of these towns seems to fit my criteria more so than the others? Thanks for your time everyone!

Old 02-18-2016, 10:21 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnb17 View Post
Thanks to everyone for their insightful information.

I have another comparison that I need some opinions on. I am looking to stay in the Sacramento area, but want to escape the summer heat of the city. I have obviously looked into Auburn, Grass Valley, Nevada City, etc. But, I have also looked into towns that sit higher on highway 50, such as Placerville, Camino and Pollock Pines. These towns get a bit more snow in the winter, but I wouldn't mind the cooler weather in the summer in exchange for a little more winter snow. I have driven to all of these towns and enjoy being in each of them, which is why I cannot decide where the best place would be for me. This is why I want to hear from some of the locals that reside in each of these areas would work out the best for myself. I would probably be commuting close to the Sacramento area somewhere for work.

I will probably be looking to rent for a few years and I'm probably looking to spend around 1,200-1500 a month for a place. Also, when ready, I am looking to purchase a home in the 300-350k range and am looking for a safe place to raise a family of my own. I want to live in a town that has history and some character/charm. Mountain views and somewhere with a lot of space from other properties/houses is pretty important to me as well, as I enjoy being a little more isolated. Also, a city where I could go out running at night with the dog and not have to worry about anything. Which of these towns seems to fit my criteria more so than the others? Thanks for your time everyone!
You aren't going to get isolation and an easy commute to Sac. If you don't need to commute, look at Cool.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:08 AM

256 posts, read 367,481 times
Agreed, isolation means a long commute.

As for summer heat: the city proper is cooler than most of the surrounding areas because of the delta breeze, proximity to the rivers, and the effect of mature shade trees. I am always shocked when we camp in the foothills by how hot it stays at night compared to the cool nights in Sacramento.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:52 PM

48 posts, read 71,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolerance999 View Post
El dorado Hills and Folsom are very VERY safe for walking dogs at night. Safer than Auburn.
For a city for typically higher incomes, Auburn to me had a ton of riff raff. For that money I would choose to live in Granite Bay to be honest. People spend a lot to be in Auburn when they could just live there and live better. I am not one bit surprised Auburn is more unsafe than Folsom. I always felt like I was going to get clipped by the oncoming traffic and wasn't safe taking walks anywhere. It wasn't gang violence there so much but this was definitely a problem. The apathy and lack of awareness of who and what is around those humanoids topped off with a hills have eyes feel and ya, Folsom is better imo.

Old 02-20-2016, 05:06 PM

447 posts, read 652,011 times
i grew up in yuba city/gridley so i have spent a lot of time up in gold country over the years and its beautiful and can be fun etc but in general i do somewhat agree it has a weird vibe and also is largely a retirement area which might work for you i think it would work best if you had a really nice place and kept to yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento