Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 11:35 AM

20 posts, read 35,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontKnowIfImComingOrGoing View Post
As I've written before (see my thread history to find the post), EG is a geographic wide area and parts are different. Its a big triangle with the top touching south sac. That part is justokay but the proximity to south sac can be an issue. The west (near I5) is great. Lots of med school faculty live there, there is a pharmacy college, lots of big 3000+ sq ft homes, great schools. The east part east of 99 also has all of that but is more rural. Lots,of himes in one acre.
I read your previous thread/posts in depth and they were very helpful. We are looking at areas closer to I5 and south of south Sac. Think bottom left of the triangle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 11:37 AM

20 posts, read 35,861 times
Thanks for all the great info and help. We will put River Park and College Greens on the list as well.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:49 PM

113 posts, read 158,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnSam View Post

And "mid-town" (downtown/Sacramento central) is jammed with 20- and 30-somethings, lots of drinking, shootings, etc. especially on the weekends. A thoughtless, careless, hostile bunch of people IMHO; muggings, purse-snatchings, hit-and-runs.
Ha, you obviously have never lived in midtown. This is a pretty unfair generalization. Midtown is awesome and a lot quieter than downtown (if you look at a map of sacramento, everything below 16th street is considered downtown). The weekends can get a little loud around the Handle District (J,K,L | 18th-21st) but there's so many great spots to live. The OP mentioned that they have a budget of $2k, which is plenty to get into a nice loft.

What I love is the walkability you get here that you can't get in any suburb. Tons of great restaurants to walk to, bike to, or only need a $5 Uber ride to get to. Crime is everywhere. Don't fool yourself into thinking getting out of the city makes you safer. Sacramento is a collection of nice pockets where you're completely safe. Yes, you may have to witness a bum walk by you every now and then (so urban!) but they are very harmless here. They aren't the kind who try to hustle you over on Howe and Arden.

You didn't say your age, but I'm going to guess late 20's early 30's. You have your whole life to do the suburban thing. Try something different for a year while you get a feel for the area, and then buy where you really believe you'll enjoy yourself.

BTW, I live in midtown and commute to my office, which is literally RIGHT BEHIND SAC STATE. Takes me 10-15 mins max to commute (if you can even call it that).

Check out these:

LINQ Midtown Apartments

Apartments in Sacramento | Fremont Mews

Petrovich Development - Whiskey Hill Lofts

And coming soon:

16 Powerhouse

Old 04-15-2015, 01:47 PM

42,744 posts, read 25,946,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS_15 View Post
I agree that College Greens might be a good fit. It's right by CSUS, a nice well maintained established little neighborhood, a lot of young families moving in mixed with long-term older residents. Right by the river and super easy hwy access to get out to the mountains or back to the bay area.

For a rental I'd also look at River Park. It's more expensive to buy into but it's a really great neighborhood for young families and very close to CSUS. You could rent something with your price range.
I know nothing about College Greens, but if all of it is an HOA I would certainly do a lot of research before buying there. I lived in an HOA in Reno for over a decade and it was absolutely miserable. It started out ok but then the board of directors changed and they spent all of their free time figuring out ways to get in your business. My neighbor had a motorhome that he would park in front of his house ONLY when packing or unpacking for a trip and they outlawed that. If you got brown spots in your lawn you got fined, and if you wanted to change out one single plant in your front yard you needed to submit a plan for architectural review. Never again!

Old 04-15-2015, 04:18 PM

572 posts, read 593,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I know nothing about College Greens, but if all of it is an HOA I would certainly do a lot of research before buying there. I lived in an HOA in Reno for over a decade and it was absolutely miserable. It started out ok but then the board of directors changed and they spent all of their free time figuring out ways to get in your business. My neighbor had a motorhome that he would park in front of his house ONLY when packing or unpacking for a trip and they outlawed that. If you got brown spots in your lawn you got fined, and if you wanted to change out one single plant in your front yard you needed to submit a plan for architectural review. Never again!
No HOA in College Greens that I know of. But yes...HOA fees and restrictions are good things to think about when you look at neighborhoods.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:21 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,794,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS_15 View Post
For a rental I'd also look at River Park. It's more expensive to buy into but it's a really great neighborhood for young families and very close to CSUS. You could rent something with your price range.
I agree nice, but expensive.

There are some older apartment/duplexes in the neighborhood but they are mostly full of students.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:22 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,794,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVinci View Post
Ha, you obviously have never lived in midtown. This is a pretty unfair generalization.
Ah yes, just noticed, a first time poster. Hope he comes back to clarify the over-generalizations.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:41 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,783,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVinci View Post
Ha, you obviously have never lived in midtown. This is a pretty unfair generalization. Midtown is awesome and a lot quieter than downtown (if you look at a map of sacramento, everything below 16th street is considered downtown). The weekends can get a little loud around the Handle District (J,K,L | 18th-21st) but there's so many great spots to live. The OP mentioned that they have a budget of $2k, which is plenty to get into a nice loft.

What I love is the walkability you get here that you can't get in any suburb. Tons of great restaurants to walk to, bike to, or only need a $5 Uber ride to get to. Crime is everywhere. Don't fool yourself into thinking getting out of the city makes you safer. Sacramento is a collection of nice pockets where you're completely safe. Yes, you may have to witness a bum walk by you every now and then (so urban!) but they are very harmless here. They aren't the kind who try to hustle you over on Howe and Arden.

You didn't say your age, but I'm going to guess late 20's early 30's. You have your whole life to do the suburban thing. Try something different for a year while you get a feel for the area, and then buy where you really believe you'll enjoy yourself.
The OP has an infant. Loft living for singles and the childless? Sure. For those with a child (or more), not so much.....To say nothing of the big doggie, which needs a yard.....

Old 04-16-2015, 09:45 AM

8,680 posts, read 17,210,128 times
Someone should tell all my Midtown neighbors with children and big dogs that they're living in the wrong neighborhood, but for some reason I don't think they will believe it. They seem to like it just fine here. It's the developer class who are pushing the "only singles and childless" mindset, the people who live here see things differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento