Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 10:22 PM

9 posts, read 35,648 times

Advertisements

Are there any areas with mello easy-going back-to-the-land NICE people in El Dorado County. If you've ever been to Felton or Boulder Creek then you know what I'm talking about. Nice, earthy folk, like playing music together, organic gardening, artists, aware of the importance of getting long with the earth and each other? Is there anyplace like that in the Sierras, El Dorado County in particular? Or is it mainly hopped up pickup trucks with the radio chronically tuned to whatever station plays Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity?

I run into nice people up there but can't seem to find an enclave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 08:28 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Sounds more like Grass Valley/Nevada City, but that's farther north than El Dorado County. El Dorado County isn't all hopped-up pickup trucks playing Limbaugh/Hannity, there are also plenty of luxury SUVs and sedans playing Limbaugh/Hannity on their hour long commute to Sacramento and back.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:36 AM

Cool Any other opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
El Dorado County isn't all hopped-up pickup trucks playing Limbaugh/Hannity, there are also plenty of luxury SUVs and sedans playing Limbaugh/Hannity on their hour long commute to Sacramento and back.
Bummer!! Are there ANY organic farming, community oriented (by that I mean, people working with each other, when they see a neighbor (or stranger) in trouble they help them, as opposed to "I got mine, if you're having problems TOO BAD!") even sort-of counter culture, even kind of hip farmers or Jesus freaks?? (by Jesus freaks I mean the "Jesus loves you" type, not the "Jesus loves me and hates you" type).

Old 05-07-2015, 08:25 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
I think you will find a lot of that in El Dorado County as you get to Placerville and places East of there. Not ALL like that and certainly a variety of people, but I have found the people in this county to be very supportive of each other and their community.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:24 AM

534 posts, read 1,533,298 times
There is a fair amount of progressive folks here in El Dorado County. I'd say, mainly in Coloma due to the rafting and kayaking community (counter-culture types). Now that summer is upon us, go hang out at Marco's or Gringo's or Coloma Club on a Friday or Saturday night. I especially love Marco's for the live music and all the raft guides. You'll get what you are looking for there. However, in Placerville, you'll find them at Cozmic Cafe, Placerville Co-op, One Love Refill Station, etc. There is a great film series at the Cozmic Cafe that is well-attended - I think it's put on by Sierra Club or the Progressive Alliance.

I have to say....my conservative neighbors, they will definitely help a neighbor in need. I have a good friend who is a neighbor, and we are polar opposites on the political spectrum, but we like and and respect each other and even good-naturedly poke each other about viewpoints sometimes...but we help each other all the time. I don't feel that there is any conservative/liberal angst, except that I'm involved in community politics and there, there is a definite divide, however, the community folks who have united are republicans, democrats, libertarians, and decline-to-state.

Yes, there are judgmental folks, but far fewer than you would think. The bible-thumpers keep to themselves, I think - I haven't had any issues on that front.

We do have some organic farms going in, not collectives that I know of, but it is a start. You could probably contact them to find out more. We have at least one organic caterer.

I get activity emails from Coalition for Change: Coalition For Change | Unite for a Better Future

I know that I've seen an ad in the past few months in the Gold Panner unclassified ads for someone with land willing to share it with someone who wants to farm it.

Seriously, though, check out the Coloma culture. No worries.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky2 View Post
There is a fair amount of progressive folks here in El Dorado County. I'd say, mainly in Coloma due to the rafting and kayaking community (counter-culture types). Now that summer is upon us, go hang out at Marco's or Gringo's or Coloma Club on a Friday or Saturday night. I especially love Marco's for the live music and all the raft guides. You'll get what you are looking for there. However, in Placerville, you'll find them at Cozmic Cafe, Placerville Co-op, One Love Refill Station, etc. There is a great film series at the Cozmic Cafe that is well-attended - I think it's put on by Sierra Club or the Progressive Alliance.

I have to say....my conservative neighbors, they will definitely help a neighbor in need. I have a good friend who is a neighbor, and we are polar opposites on the political spectrum, but we like and and respect each other and even good-naturedly poke each other about viewpoints sometimes...but we help each other all the time. I don't feel that there is any conservative/liberal angst, except that I'm involved in community politics and there, there is a definite divide, however, the community folks who have united are republicans, democrats, libertarians, and decline-to-state.

Yes, there are judgmental folks, but far fewer than you would think. The bible-thumpers keep to themselves, I think - I haven't had any issues on that front.

We do have some organic farms going in, not collectives that I know of, but it is a start. You could probably contact them to find out more. We have at least one organic caterer.

I get activity emails from Coalition for Change: Coalition For Change | Unite for a Better Future

I know that I've seen an ad in the past few months in the Gold Panner unclassified ads for someone with land willing to share it with someone who wants to farm it.

Seriously, though, check out the Coloma culture. No worries.
Thank you for this reply. The information you give is VERY helpful. I am especially appreciative of your taking the time to explain the kind of conservative folks that you find there. I have lived in several small rural communities with very conservative neighbors like you're talking about. If a family was having troubles they would NEVER just stand around and watch them go under. They would help any neighbor in need no matter where the person in need stood politically. I also have known MANY liberals (not "old school" classical liberals with 60's and 70's values, but the newer "progressive" type liberals as they define themselves) who will not only NOT help neighbors who are falling on hard times, but will actively go out of their way to destroy anyone who they disagree with.

Again thanks for your information. Looking forward to checking out Coloma. I keep hearing good things about that town, and have passed through a few times, but didn't know where to go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento