Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 01:39 AM

14 posts, read 95,583 times

Advertisements

guingirl, you don't have to look hard to see the big gray rim that surrounds roseville. ive already talked to air quality control in auburn there is nothing that can be done. im not expecting the railroads to go away. that would never happen. you would just think they would think of a way to put something else besides diesel in the trains. obviously it would cost billions. why do u think nothing will be done about it. but its obviously effecting the air quality that roseville residents are breathing in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 10:59 PM

914 posts, read 2,899,788 times
There is actually some experimental devices that they are trying out on trains and ships to eliminate the diesel pollution, but it is years from becoming a viable reality.

As for the city council, they don't have much control on what UP decides to do. they have helped with noise form the blaring train horns by installing automated horns at the crossings, which means engineers don't have to blow their horns anymore, so that's a helpful change.

Old 12-12-2006, 12:02 AM

14 posts, read 95,583 times
seems like they do most of their trafficing at nite. i hear trains all nite long. i have to put in ear plugs. just so happens my house that im renting is off foothill which is very close to the tracks. of course i didn't know all this stuff about the tracks when i moved here. and the trains honk their horns every 5 minutes all nite long, its pretty anoying. i wish their was a place that wasn't to far away that didn't have such bad air quality. it seems like this smog is everywhere. when you go to auburn at least you dont see the cloud of smog but ive been told by the air quality control in auburn that auburn is worse off than roseville. not really sure. they said that the air from oakland blows up to us and thats not good because they also have a major rail road line there. anyway we are moving when the kids get out of school.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:03 AM

3 posts, read 39,470 times
Cool Thank you for the replies

Hi all,

The conclusion here is stay close to the Galleria mall area and away from the rail yard. I need to go there to look at the place and breath the air to decide.

Thank you guys for all replies. See ya!

Old 12-23-2006, 11:55 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,174,404 times
Railyard isn't terribly far from the Galleria and the Delta breeze will just push the smog that way anyway.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:03 PM

39 posts, read 144,742 times
What about Rocklin?

Can anybody tell me if this affects Rocklin as well and what would be the areas affected?

Old 02-29-2008, 05:10 PM

527 posts, read 1,315,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd7788 View Post
What about Rocklin?

Can anybody tell me if this affects Rocklin as well and what would be the areas affected?
well since railroads and trains run all over the united states, there is no place that isn't affected. roseville is a focul point because it has a main yard in old roseville. This discussion could be had with many, many cities.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:33 PM

18 posts, read 126,917 times
This is good news:

Not long after the Roseville Rail Yard Study began, Union Pacific installed controls on 21 locomotives assigned to the yard to reduce unnecessary idling and moved locomotive testing farther away from homes.

And after the results were made public last October, Union Pacific made a pact with the Placer County air district to cut the diesel exhaust at least 10 percent by 2008.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:53 PM

53 posts, read 374,376 times
So what parts of Roseville are far away enough frm the railyard to be safe to live in regards to the air and health?

Old 05-19-2008, 02:27 PM

8,679 posts, read 17,186,497 times
All of them.

Seriously. Even close to the railyards, there's a moderately higher health risk due to pollution from the yards, but if you live far enough away there's a moderately higher health risk due to pollution from the freeway. In either case you can probably reduce your cancer risk an equal amount by eating a few more leafy greens, and in neither case is the risk so great that people should be evacuated from the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento