U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 01:21 AM

68 posts, read 79,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
San Franciscans look down on Oakland almost as much as they look down on Sacramento. I was turned off by the snarky aside about "100 In-n-Out burgers in Sacramento"--there are three, as opposed to San Francisco's one, which means we have about 50% more In-n-Out burgers per square mile than they do, and approximately a zillion non-chain places to get a really, really good burger--we even have an annual Burger Battle! Not exactly a fair comparison. And as for #12, I suppose I like the "Sactown" moniker about as much as San Franciscans enjoy "Frisco."
I too found the article to be a bit of a backhanded compliment.

Dear SF people, if you think we are just an In N Out pit stop with some Oakland hipsters, please just stick to I-80. There's already one too many SF blowhard around here as is... Gavin Newsom on Sacramento: “Ugh, God.” - City Insider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 06:06 AM

4,504 posts, read 4,490,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HILife09 View Post
I'll take living in Oakland any day in the summer rather than Sac... 100+ in summer is not fun.
90 days of 70F everyday, means you can never really enjoy swimming in any outdoor body of water in Oakland.

Never a real summer in Oakland.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:04 PM
iok

4 posts, read 3,005 times
Might I ask: what kind of life style people wish, feel and want to see in the next few years?
I guess people not really want to see Sac another SanF or Orkl.
There are stuffs and passion in mind but how to tell it - I wonder.

Many thanks to folks sharing.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iok View Post
Might I ask: what kind of life style people wish, feel and want to see in the next few years?
I guess people not really want to see Sac another SanF or Orkl.
There are stuffs and passion in mind but how to tell it - I wonder.

Many thanks to folks sharing.
I would like to see a continuation what has been already happening in Sacaramento. Continue building varied housing income levels with a focus on middle-class incomes. I'd like to see Oak Park become more of an owner occupied neighborhood, and as folks move to this urbanish inner core it stems the tide of midtown rents from getting too high. Building more residential units downtown should help stabilize rents as well.

Ensuring that the grid (midtown and downtown) stays pedestrian and aiding small business by relaxing some regulations so they can survive economically.

Find a fair balance between neighborhood oridances while promoting libertarians values so business can survive and continue to provide jobs of different income levels.

Build the streetcar, and strive for TOD on the current light rail system.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:40 PM

Another reason Sacramento doesn't care to be the new Oakland: Oakland has highest violent crime rate in California at 15.3%.

10 Most Dangerous Cities in California - Page 11 of 11 - Telegraph Today

Don't flatter yourself Bay Area, Sacramento doesn't need to be like any Bay Area city.

Having the coast nearby for certain amenities and for ABNORMALLY cool weather in the Summer is ok, now and then, that will do,

Old 05-04-2015, 02:07 AM

1,994 posts, read 3,067,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Another reason Sacramento doesn't care to be the new Oakland: Oakland has highest violent crime rate in California at 15.3%.

10 Most Dangerous Cities in California - Page 11 of 11 - Telegraph Today

Don't flatter yourself Bay Area, Sacramento doesn't need to be like any Bay Area city.

Having the coast nearby for certain amenities and for ABNORMALLY cool weather in the Summer is ok, now and then, that will do,
Sacramento is small fries to the Bay Area. So let's not take it there.....

Median Sales Price for 1 bedroom:
Sacramento: $83,500
Oakland: $370,000

I'm moving to Sacramento. Dirt cheap, that's the trade off.

Last edited by Stephen1110; 05-04-2015 at 02:31 AM..

Old 05-04-2015, 10:22 AM

890 posts, read 629,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbt263 View Post
I too found the article to be a bit of a backhanded compliment.

Dear SF people, if you think we are just an In N Out pit stop with some Oakland hipsters, please just stick to I-80. There's already one too many SF blowhard around here as is... Gavin Newsom on Sacramento: “Ugh, God.” - City Insider
I met Gavin Newsome several years ago at a fundraiser in South Bay. It's not that I reached out to him but rather he to my wife and me. Another teflon powder coated pretty boy politician that I wouldn't lend a nickel if he asked was my initial thought.

So his low-level perspective of Sacramento is actually a star rating in my book and anyone who has had a similar experience of being up front and close to this glitter boy because my conventional wisdom is to take anything he says and flip it around for the truth.

Your mileage may vary.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:17 PM

8,325 posts, read 14,098,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
Sacramento is small fries to the Bay Area. So let's not take it there.....

Median Sales Price for 1 bedroom:
Sacramento: $83,500
Oakland: $370,000

I'm moving to Sacramento. Dirt cheap, that's the trade off.
Welcome! But we're not talking about Sacramento vs. the entire Bay Area, we're talking about Sacramento vs. Oakland. So let's take it, specifically, there.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:51 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,067,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Welcome! But we're not talking about Sacramento vs. the entire Bay Area, we're talking about Sacramento vs. Oakland. So let's take it, specifically, there.
You should probably read my post in its entirety (which includes the post I quoted)

Old 05-23-2015, 04:49 AM

3,439 posts, read 2,265,819 times
Oakland sucks. It is boring, the people are lame, it is filled with out of state transplants that got priced out of SF, and have a huge chip on their shoulders.

Sacramento just needs to keep being Sacramento and not worry about being Sacramento and not being the bay.

So cal does not car about emulating the bay and neither should Sac.

The women in Sac look way better than the women in Oakland anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or