Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 03:53 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,793 times

Advertisements

City of Sacramento considering new set of

I hope they FINALLY start actually implementing this. Especially streets like Broadway and Freeport Blvd, they both need MAJOR work for urbanity/pedestrian friendlness and cycling.

I hope they don't modify J street though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 11:06 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Interesting, wondering how the proposal for J St will impact people who prefer to drive. And what I mean, will people choose to not go downtown at all because the traffic bottlenecks & causes major traffic jams? Not everyone has access to LR, or wants to drive & park & then get on LR, but it appears that is what is being "forced" upon, or perhaps, planned for the public from the outlying areas.

I was reading in the Sac Bee how many people from Elk Grove who've been using the e-trains, do not want to deal with the hassle of LR from the college. It's not convenient for them. And it takes more time. At least for now.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:30 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
And what I mean, will people choose to not go downtown at all because the traffic bottlenecks & causes major traffic jams?
Won't happen, and never will happen. If people want to go downtown, they WILL go, whether they have to deal with crappy parking, or taking a taxi/uber, or light rail, whatever. In some spots in the grid it is already virtually impossible to find parking yet places are packed. The Arena has no parking at all, and I will bet you it will still sell out every night.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:06 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
There's a difference between forcing someone to do something and no longer subsidizing their ability to do it.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:58 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
What? No mention of the 3-lane, one-way "urban freeways" like 15th, 16th, L St., N St.? Especially 15th, 16th. They can be like NASCAR tracks, packs of cars thundering along at 10 or 15 mph over the limit, ignoring pedestrians waiting to use zebra crosswalks. Those 3-laners are ripe for a diet in my book.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:51 PM

323 posts, read 1,008,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
What? No mention of the 3-lane, one-way "urban freeways" like 15th, 16th, L St., N St.? Especially 15th, 16th. They can be like NASCAR tracks, packs of cars thundering along at 10 or 15 mph over the limit, ignoring pedestrians waiting to use zebra crosswalks. Those 3-laners are ripe for a diet in my book.
15th and 16th are run by the State, who have resisted change.

The only 3 lane road left on the grid past 15th are J and I. I don't think there should be much argument to reducing those to 2 with bike lanes.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,105 times
A fundamental problem is that most of the streets downtown are designed primarily for rush hour traffic only. If you go down G, H, P, Q, N, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, or 10th during non rush hour times, the streets are dead empty. Essentially, these one way streets are designed to flush high volumes of traffic to and from the highways twice a day, and then for the rest of the time, sit empty and underutilized.

I do not think that the proposed road diets on J and Broadway are enough to reverse some of these problems. There is no reason that J or I need 3 or 4 lanes when a few streets over, N, P, and Q streets are silent. The city needs to stop trying to make the city speedy to get in and out of twice a day in a car, and start designing the streets for how many people actually use them for all the time in between. Personally, I think the above listed streets would serve well as two way two lane, with J, I, L, 16th, 15th, and 12th as one way two lane. People coming downtown to live, shop, and eat past rush hour would easily be able to use any of the currently underutilized streets, while rush hour commuters could find ways to adapt by using different routes and modes of transportation.

The obstacles would be to convince commuters that slower traffic at rush hour is not the end of the world, and to convince the city that such changes are worth the money required. The changes would act as a good base to making downtown Sacramento's streets more liveable, and would set steps for more development and population downtown.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:45 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Won't happen, and never will happen. If people want to go downtown, they WILL go, whether they have to deal with crappy parking, or taking a taxi/uber, or light rail, whatever.
I think some people will take it into consideration.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:32 PM

256 posts, read 367,481 times
Slower traffic at rush hour completely sucks, though. Not everyone has flexibility at that time. (Most daycares close at 5:30 or 6, and you can't be late for daycare -- they tend to charge by the minute once you are late, and if you are REALLY late there is a CPS call.)

And if the idea is to push traffic onto the mostly empty streets, prepare for the residents of those streets to complain.

But I don't notice the two-lane one-way streets moving much more slowly than the three-lane one-way streets.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:33 PM

256 posts, read 367,481 times
Also, I am not worried about people avoiding downtown. That was also supposed to happen after "traffic calming" in midtown. I am happy to report that we still have plenty of jerks speeding through the neighborhood and running stop signs.

(I still hate traffic calming but I don't mind road diets.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento