U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,474 times

Advertisements

Hello, I've been reading some of the blogs about Paradise Ca but they are nearly four years old, so I'm curious to hear about Paradise, CA. How is the community doing now, did the Walmart move in? My husband and I are thinking of downsizing from our home here in Simi Valley area and checking out the Paradise and Chico area. We are pretty active I love trees and greenery! I would like more of the banana belt climate as well. So would that be the lower half of Paradise? We want to take a trip up there to see the area and if you can give me an idea where to check out that would be lovely! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 06:54 PM

4,202 posts, read 1,543,373 times
I'm familiar with the area. My take on Paradise is that is something of a senior ghetto and quite church-y. Chico is a wonderful little college city with much more to offer in terms of shopping, resources, etc. I wouldn't describe Paradise as banana belt, it rains a lot (prior to the drought, that is) with a few inches of snow most winters. Chico gets downright hot in the summer. Both Chico and Paradise are full of trees and green. Chico is mostly oaks, sycamores, ash, etc. while Paradise is pines.

Depends on what you want. If you want a mini-cosmopolitan environment, then Chico; if you want to socialize with the senior crowd, especially at church, then Paradise is a better fit.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:37 PM

3 posts, read 4,662 times
Default Paradise is great

My hubby and I moved to Paradise in 2008 from the SF Bay Area, to retire and downsize. We couldn't be happier. There's so much right here in town: 4 grocery stores, Kmart, LOTS of restaurants, a killer Ace Hardware, 3 auto parts stores, thrift shops, Big 5, dollar stores, DMV, a wonderful library and Senior Center, a beautiful Performing Arts Center, a 7-screen movie theatre, lots of small businesses and services - if you need upholstery or tile work or welding done, glass work, etc. It seems like a lot of people in various trades who retired here still practice their trade, so you can get about anything done in town that you want. There are lots of doctors in every specialty, and Feather River Hospital is wonderful and very highly rated. We make the "big trip" down the hill to Chico once a week to hit Costco, Walmart, the Mall, Home Depot or Lowes, etc. But you don't have to go any further than that (15 minutes away) to get absolutely everything you could want. It's one of the few places in California where housing is still reasonably priced. Yes, there are a lot of seniors here (including us), and the town really caters to us. If you get to the point where you can't stay in your house due to aging/health, there are senior apartments, independent living places, senior assisted living, nursing homes, and even a Hospice House. We plan to NEVER leave Paradise - no reason to. Everything we could want is here and we absolutely love it.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:44 PM

4,171 posts, read 2,166,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiltingKris View Post
My hubby and I moved to Paradise in 2008 from the SF Bay Area, to retire and downsize. We couldn't be happier. There's so much right here in town: 4 grocery stores, Kmart, LOTS of restaurants, a killer Ace Hardware, 3 auto parts stores, thrift shops, Big 5, dollar stores, DMV, a wonderful library and Senior Center, a beautiful Performing Arts Center, a 7-screen movie theatre, lots of small businesses and services - if you need upholstery or tile work or welding done, glass work, etc. It seems like a lot of people in various trades who retired here still practice their trade, so you can get about anything done in town that you want. There are lots of doctors in every specialty, and Feather River Hospital is wonderful and very highly rated. We make the "big trip" down the hill to Chico once a week to hit Costco, Walmart, the Mall, Home Depot or Lowes, etc. But you don't have to go any further than that (15 minutes away) to get absolutely everything you could want. It's one of the few places in California where housing is still reasonably priced. Yes, there are a lot of seniors here (including us), and the town really caters to us. If you get to the point where you can't stay in your house due to aging/health, there are senior apartments, independent living places, senior assisted living, nursing homes, and even a Hospice House. We plan to NEVER leave Paradise - no reason to. Everything we could want is here and we absolutely love it.
Gee, this is your only post ever in City-Data? Are you a realtor? If not, I am glad you are happy there, but a nearby resident does not think as highly of your area as you do, except for the cost of living.

I just read the scorecard for Feather River Hospital and it's rated "average" and Hospital-acquired infections are listed as "worse than expected" and I didn't see anything that was highly rated. My source is US News & Reports.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:22 AM

3 posts, read 4,662 times
To SFBayBoomer - No I'm not a realtor (that gave me a chuckle). I haven't worked since 1994, and yes, that was my only post ever in City-Data. We just really love it here and all the people we know here feel the same - that's just our opinion. We haven't met one person since we've been here who doesn't like it. All our experiences with doctors and Feather River Hospital have been outstanding. I've read just as many high ratings for the hospital as so-so ones, both with the hospital itself and with patient satisfaction; but again, our personal experience and all the people we know here love Feather River and the doctors associated with it. But you're entitled to your opinion, although it sounds like you've never lived here and have no personal experience here. That's okay - I almost hesitated writing my original post because I really don't want to attract anyone here anyway - I'd rather this place didn't get any more populated.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:13 PM

523 posts, read 326,653 times
We came to Paradise to stay in August of 2015, after my retirement. We did two other trips previously and the more we came here the more we wanted to stay. The last 10-15 years we drove all over the west, Sedona, Flagstaff, Pine, Strawberry, Payson, Lakeside, Medford, Grants Pass, Grass Valley, Nevada City, Pen Valley etc. Paradise was always compared to these places and always came out on top.
Paradise is a mountain town without the treacherous mountain roads. The population, at 26 thousand, is big enough to offer most services, but small enough to avoid traffic jams and gang problems.
The climate is hot in summer but bearable due to the abundance of trees. Winters are cold and wet, but hardly any frost or snow, and there is no danger of floods because with our hilly terrain the water just goes down to Chico.
I lived all over the United States and also in two different European countries, but to me Paradise is one of the most beautiful towns I had ever seen in my life, and by far the most livable.
What makes it livable is that we live in a giant cul- de - sac with Magalia and Stirling City, no thru traffic, only the locals, and not many tourists.
Not a single person asked us yet what church are we going to, not ever.
I posted here on City Data several times regarding Paradise. Anyone can search my posts, and I am not, nor have ever been, a realtor.
To put Paradise in perspective, if we'd win 300 million on the lottery next week, we'll get a vacation log cabin near the Lake Tahoe and a small beach house on the Siesta Key in Sarasota, but our main residence would never change, because we came here to stay, in Paradise, where else??????

Last edited by mgforshort; 04-26-2016 at 12:24 PM..

Old 04-26-2016, 01:18 PM

7,146 posts, read 12,745,307 times
Sounds like Paradise!

Old 04-26-2016, 09:49 PM

4,171 posts, read 2,166,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiltingKris View Post
...you're entitled to your opinion, although it sounds like you've never lived here and have no personal experience here.
I have family in the area, and the report about the area (not just Paradise) was not great, except for the beauty of the area.

US News & World Report is a good source for information regarding hospitals. They have an annual issue devoted to the topic, with rankings.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:48 AM

749 posts, read 1,546,851 times
Paradise is pretty, on a nice ridge, nice weather, easy commute to Chico. Does get snow, but there are lower parts not too bad. For some reason there is a lot of meth up north. I always heard that it was from the hells angels decades ago

Old 04-29-2016, 10:38 PM

523 posts, read 326,653 times
[ATTACH]169052
Thursday night around 7:50 as we were sitting down to dinner I saw a bear approaching our house from the bottom of the yard, which is fully fenced by the way. I got scared because the dog door was still open and any bear could kill our dog. I grabbed the dog's collar and put him in the bathroom, ignoring his protests. Our dog likes to sit next to me during meal times, this is something most dog owners fully understand.
Once he was safe I grabbed a camera and stepped out on the deck, by then the bear climbed up one of the large oak trees. I took some pictures, then called two of the closest neighbors to join us for a bear-watching party. They arrived in a minute and we all took photos and admired our tall, dark and handsome subject.
The bear was maybe a year old, not very large, but strong enough to tear apart any dog, even a Great Dane. It just hugged the limb of the tree, not too happy with all the attention.
After the sun went down we couldn't see much and we had our dinner. Around 9:30 I went out again with a flash light, but the bear sneaked away by then.
Here in Paradise many residents have bear stories, but usually is the cleaning up of the overturned trash cans or the burial of a dead chicken.
I tried to attach a photo, but I'm not sure if it will show.
As much as I love City Data, this forum has the most difficult process of attaching a photo.
Webmasters, can you help?
Attached Thumbnails
Paradise, CA-par_2021.jpg  

Last edited by mgforshort; 04-29-2016 at 10:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento