Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 05:02 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,136 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
Was considering the possibility of moving to the Sacramento area and was wondering if my impression that the nice places to be are the towns to the North on I-80 and I-50.

Also was wondering if the Sacramento area is like SoCal's Inland Empire climate-wise. I get the feeling it might be 100+ in the summers? How are the winters.

Any areas where it might still be possible to by some land and have a house built and commute to roughly Citrus Hieghts. Any green areas? Google maps leads me to believe the further North East you go on I-80 the greener and more mountainous it gets? Possibly by the time you get to Colfax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 09:56 PM

1 posts, read 5,711 times
Hi Jmadison,

I live in Newcastle and it is beautiful, very green. I built my house last year on 5 acres and although the market has fallen it is the best move I've ever made. There is plenty of land available.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:24 PM

590 posts, read 931,770 times
Default Some info...

Hi Everyone,
Was considering the possibility of moving to the Sacramento area and was wondering if my impression that the nice places to be are the towns to the North on I-80 and I-50.

Yes, this is generally correct. Although parts of Roseville and Rocklin now straddle I-80 and Folsom will probably soon straddle Hwy 50. If you do move to Roseville stay away from the old area and the lung cancer causing railroad yard (no exaggeration). Newcastle and Auburn are nice but has been over priced for at least 10 years because of Sacto transplants and because of their location they get really bad smog and ozone levels in the summer, even worse than Sacto. Lincoln was nice until people in the Sacto area found out it was cheap land and bought everything up. The city council is corrupt, they've allowed everything to be built up but did nothing to help ease traffic woes. Traffic on Hwy 65 is god-awful x10.

Also was wondering if the Sacramento area is like SoCal's Inland Empire climate-wise. I get the feeling it might be 100+ in the summers? How are the winters.

Don't know much about the Inland Empire but in Sacto in can be 90 degrees by early May and stay that way until Mid October with a few weeks of 100+ and even 110 mixed in there. Last summer was fairly mild, though, in relation to the more brutal summers we've had. Winters here are a joke when compared to just about anywhere in the U.S. If it gets down to 25 degrees in the winter that's big news. The biggest problem we have is fog. Citrus Heights can be socked in for long periods of time. But it can also be clear in CH and where I live in Folsom can be totally fogged up. All in all everything is very mild.

Any areas where it might still be possible to by some land and have a house built and commute to roughly Citrus Hieghts. Any green areas? Google maps leads me to believe the further North East you go on I-80 the greener and more mountainous it gets? Possibly by the time you get to Colfax?

There's lot's of green area's, heck the whole valley is green until the hottest parts of the summer. It can really do a number on allergy sufferers. For you to buy land at sane prices you are going way, way up into the hills. Colfax is a hick town at heart but it's real estate prices have gone through the roof because of Sacto people who were looking for a slice of the "good life". Loomis and Granite Bay have a lot of open space but it's all been bought up and anything for sale now will go for major $$$$.

The problem with Citrus Heights is that it's Citrus Heights. It's a city that is busting at the seams. It has a bad traffic problem (it has one of the highest pedestrian vs. car mortality rates in the country), it's road ways are so antiquated that road rage is a very real threat. There is one strip mall after another and most of the restaurants are chains. But if all you have to do is work there then you'll be ok unless you have to commute in. If you were to live in some far out of the way place like Colfax or Lincoln you're looking at a 45 minute to 1 hour commute at least.

As for real estate, Sacto is one of the most over priced markets in the country (I think it ranks 4th or 5th). The bubble has burst here in a big way and it will take years for prices to stabilize. The good news is that in a few years you'll be able to buy a nice home and maybe some land for cheap. Good luck.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:27 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
I moved to Rocklin from the midwest about 4 years ago (and left again, and I do miss it very much!) But yes, leaving Sacramento and going east on I-80 you are steadily climbing. Rocklin is a nice town before the foothills but not quite as low as Sac, and Auburn is an excellent spot in my opinion cause its nice and hilly but not yet very cold -- very pretty but not way out of civilization. I also liked Loomis and Newcastle, very comfortable and nice places in my opinion.

As you climb up from Auburn you will find fewer people, and more mountains, colder temps.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:31 PM

3 posts, read 20,775 times
West Roseville: good schools, pleasant tree lined subdivisions, responsive police department, golf courses, new library, public swimming center, excellent shopping nearby, and a great place to live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento