Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Sacramento feeling effects of recession; rent prices going up, traffic problems increasing, too many immigrants taking low wage jobs, levee system outdated

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 08:42 AM

14 posts, read 93,999 times

Advertisements

I've been reading these threads on here for hours now, and all I've got to say is: Sac is officially screwed, and I mean badly, I'm out of here. All these people with loads of money coming here (even from Newport Beach? You've got to be kidding), jacking up the prices of what used to actually be affordable rent. I'm sure these people see Ivory Towers in this city somehow, never underestimate the power of dreams I guess. But the reality is the governing bodies here in no way shape or form know how to plan ahead, the levee system is a little outdated guys and Sacto has probably the best chance of flooding out of any city in the country, they can't even figure out that a carpool lane is needed on other parts of I-80 as well, you'd think that by 1995 they would've figured that one out. From my time in L.A. it seemed as though the traffic was better there, and with the rate these people are pouring into this city, it'll be worse than Hell-A in 5 years or so. In 1997 in Old Fair Oaks I had a 2 bedroom apartment for $435/month. LOL . Look out folks, we used to be the friendly lower peoples who had to live in 120 degree summers for the much lower rent, but now they want to charge the same here as it is in the Bay area and San Diego, ridiculous. Nothing against Mexicans (no, really) but we cannot assimilate this many people, they've taken all my jobs and I can't blame them for that, neither can I blame the employers who are forced to hire them otherwise they can't compete in the marketplace. All I know is, I'm gone hombres y senoritas, vaminos a la chingada. If you are into computers, California is the place to be, but for those of us who just liked the simple life of landscaping and kitchen work, we're ghost. Here's my prophecy: I think I may move back to Sac in about 10 years after this city virtually collapses back onto itself from the strain. People looking at the world from my perspective KNOW this city is definetely seeing the effects of the 2008 recession more so than others. My best wishes to the Sac natives who are no-doubt packing up for other states at this point. And nothing against the newcomers, I wish you well here and hope it's better here than where you came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,298 times
Thumbs up good on ya

Thanks for the perspective, GBS.

Stay in touch and let us know how things go.

I'm new here and, after lurking for a while, figure that I might as well join the 2-cents club...

I lived in the south San Francisco Bay Area in the very late 60's and moved to Sacramento prolly ~1972 or so.

Currently reside in a 2/1/1 in the Elmhurst district of East Sacramento near UC Davis Medical Center.

Been here about 30 years now...

It's likely that I'll embarrass myself frequently but I'm fully prepared to suffer the indignation...

Old 01-23-2008, 09:36 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,013,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodbyeBrownSky View Post
I've been reading these threads on here for hours now, and all I've got to say is: Sac is officially screwed, and I mean badly, I'm out of here. All these people with loads of money coming here (even from Newport Beach? You've got to be kidding), jacking up the prices of what used to actually be affordable rent.
These are the same complaints that I am always reading in other forums about Californians moving into their states! Check out the boards in OR, WA, ID, UT, even NH & NC!

Old 01-23-2008, 10:12 PM

433 posts, read 2,350,031 times
Sacramento is kind of the gateway city into California.

I'm a Midwesterner who moved here in the early 90s. Plenty of others have come here before and since. Mid range costs compared to the Bay Area, L.A., Orange County and San Diego. Decent area. Great recreation. Nice weather.

Easy for the transplants to make the transition. The Sacramento metropolitan area is reaching that big city stage of development. Lots of growing pains. Rather poor leadership at this point in my opinion. I just wish we could attract some visionaries, urban planners, futurists and more affective leaders.

We only get one chance to plan. What we've seen so far is just massive/low density sprawl.

And the city of Sacramento, to me, is the biggest disappointment. Terrible leadership. Of course, the people in that city keep voting in those clowns...

Old 01-24-2008, 05:43 PM

154 posts, read 907,541 times
I love the foothills above Sacramento....Placerville, Auburn, etc.. But this whole valley is just getting WAY TOO CROWDED. Not to mention, way too expensive. The foothills are also getting crowded with traffic and long lines at the grocery stores. I like peace and quiet, a country setting to raise my kids. It's getting harder and harder to find in California these days. Sad to see all the beautiful open land getting eaten up inch by inch. Some people tell me moving to midwest is the answer. Yes, until Dec, Jan, and Feb. come around and it turns into a Siberian Nightmare! I don't know what the answer is. I love California and I will stay here until I can't anymore I guess.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:48 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,310,860 times
wow, I totally agree! I'm from the midwest and had these very same thoughts. California is intimidating from a distance, Sacramento seems more like home -- farms, more normal people, but the added benefit of outdoor recreation and better weather (ya, even the boiling summers!). I always thought it funny and so snooty other californians looking down their noses at Sacramento....I felt so lucky to be there! I could drive to different climates!

Anyway, I am in urban planning and thinking about coming back! Maybe...though I'll probably just get stuck behind a computer. I have to admit, as a Chicagoan I was very surprised by the lack of good train service from the suburbs to sacramento --- shocking!! there is plenty of rails....we midwesterners think californians are so enviornmentally forward...I found it to be suprisingly the opposite as a resident!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsnkali View Post
Sacramento is kind of the gateway city into California.

I'm a Midwesterner who moved here in the early 90s. Plenty of others have come here before and since. Mid range costs compared to the Bay Area, L.A., Orange County and San Diego. Decent area. Great recreation. Nice weather.

Easy for the transplants to make the transition. The Sacramento metropolitan area is reaching that big city stage of development. Lots of growing pains. Rather poor leadership at this point in my opinion. I just wish we could attract some visionaries, urban planners, futurists and more affective leaders.

We only get one chance to plan. What we've seen so far is just massive/low density sprawl.

And the city of Sacramento, to me, is the biggest disappointment. Terrible leadership. Of course, the people in that city keep voting in those clowns...

Old 01-27-2008, 02:34 PM

57 posts, read 271,000 times
I'm outta here too. I'm a native and am retiring this year. Been wanting to leave this God-forsaken place for 25 years or so but stuck it out due to work/school. Now I'll finally be free and can get out of here, and none too soon. It's just gotten exponentially worse. Much more crowded, much more expensive, much more crime than it ever used to have. Lots of people who come here want Sacramento to be a big world-class city, but what I loved about the Sacramento of old was its small town charm, and the slower, friendlier atmosphere that usually goes along with that. It's the dreaded "cow town" that I miss. It doesn't have that anymore. I'm tired of fighting my way through the traffic. I'm tired of the gangs, drugs, and murders on the news every single night. I'm tired of the winter fog and the summer infernos. And I'm sick to death of hearing the phrase "delta breeze" every year like a never-ending broken record. Sorry for the bad attitude, I've just been here too long.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:06 PM

261 posts, read 1,346,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplygib View Post
I'm outta here too. I'm a native and am retiring this year. Been wanting to leave this God-forsaken place for 25 years or so but stuck it out due to work/school. Now I'll finally be free and can get out of here, and none too soon. It's just gotten exponentially worse. Much more crowded, much more expensive, much more crime than it ever used to have. Lots of people who come here want Sacramento to be a big world-class city, but what I loved about the Sacramento of old was its small town charm, and the slower, friendlier atmosphere that usually goes along with that. It's the dreaded "cow town" that I miss. It doesn't have that anymore. I'm tired of fighting my way through the traffic. I'm tired of the gangs, drugs, and murders on the news every single night. I'm tired of the winter fog and the summer infernos. And I'm sick to death of hearing the phrase "delta breeze" every year like a never-ending broken record. Sorry for the bad attitude, I've just been here too long.
So, where is the grass greener for you? I've been in the situation of contemplating leaving CA ever since I moved to Sac. BTW, born and raised in the NorCal mountains. I'm just not ready to give up. The Midwest is ridiculously frigid in the Winters and sweltering humid in the summers. Oregon and Washington will make me depressed with the rain for sure. I'm not at all interested in moving to the East Coast. I think Colorado and Idaho are beautiful, but they're going to get hit big with the bubble burst. It's starting to happen, anyone buying there should wait a bit longer. So, where is your grass-greener destination?

Old 01-27-2008, 03:41 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,310,860 times
I'm curious too....cause the only places that interest me besides California & home(chicago area) would be the Denver area or maybe some smaller locations in the west. The midwest is okay, but I think you kinda have to be born here to really appreciate it (maybe not...but...). And you have to really be a city person to appreciate Chicago. (I'm not really). Sacramento seems to be feeling some growing pains....but overall it has so much to offer for a working person who likes the outdoors. The heat is a factor, but I think if you can live in the foothills its less of a big deal. In other places in the country, you have to get on an airplane to escape the weather, or sit in your house for a season.

Sorry....I'm going off on a tangent, and I am obviously not a native!! haha. I'll shut up now but I Really am curious about where the people who are leaving would prefer to be, maybe I'll look into those places too!! I was in Sacramento on business about a year ago though...it was March...it was all sunny and beutiful in Capital Park....people looked happy and completley unaware of how good they had it! Seriously, I had this thought....I had just taken Amtrak across the country to get there too, and had a lot to compare it to.

okay, shutting up now

Old 01-28-2008, 04:39 PM

163 posts, read 771,686 times
Denver for me!

I spent all my life in the area (vacaville,tahoe,chico,sac,bay) until a few weeks ago when I drove out to denver.

I agree with most of whats been said so far. I can tell you I miss certain things about home like the greenery and a little warmer weather. I don't miss all the rain you guys have been getting! Since I've been here nearly every day has been brilliant and sunny, right now its 50 something degrees and almost springlike.

The foothills and Sierra Nevada and farmland are all beautiful. But they are getting crowded and the smog is usually so ridicoulous that it ruins it.

The city of Sacramento seems so depressing now in comparisson to Denver. Things were exciting for a while when we were supposed to have all the new developments downtown and the riverfront and the railyards etc. But now it seems as things aren't going to change, and if they do it'll be so long that I dont even care. Of course some people went the old 'cow town' Sacramento back but that can't happen. And so now there is a sacramento that has all problems of a big city but zero of the benefits. So why stay?

I think Denver is a great city with alot of the benefits of a larger city, and the mountains/outdoors, and less of the problems that even Sacramento has.

Ah, will come back to this later....too slow on my iPhone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento