Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 12:25 PM

12 posts, read 7,571 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am new to this site; however, my friends recommend that I post my questions about the region on here.
I am currently trying to save up for an opportunity to have a biomedical internship in Shanghai and Seoul next year (it will require travel). Over all it is perfect for my dream because I want to be bale to travel internationally for my career.

I have 34% saved up for the cost but I need to somehow get another $8000. I have been looking all over the Sacramento region for assistance; however, I am not getting anything. According to counselor, professionals, etc say I have a very strong resume but it does not translate into a serious candidacy for a jobs.

I am need of serious help and I am reaching out to everyone I can for help; however, there have been next to 0 people willing to help. I have helped international students have unpaid internships, helped my friends find work, helped relatives with finances; however, I am now on the side that needs help and I really need it.

I am free 5 of the 7 days for work and I am willing to work into the night. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I am willing to work 10+ hours.

I have contacted numerous retailers but want retail experience (I have engineering and research). I don't know how to approach this situation. I am from the bay area and I would be able to work as an assistant in offices around SF; however, Sac does not have that kind of atmosphere. Where should I go and who should I reach out?

Any help is welcome and I really need to find a source of income soon. I have already pushed back graduation for a year in order to have this opportunity and I don't know if i can hold out anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 12:51 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california_native View Post
am from the bay area and I would be able to work as an assistant in offices around SF; however, Sac does not have that kind of atmosphere.
So commute to the Bay Area to work. Lots of people do it. Not that pleasant, but if you're really that motivated...

Old 08-23-2015, 01:21 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
I am a little concerned reading that you need $8000 for an internship.

REAL internships -- the kind that employers like to see on resumes -- usually pay you, rather than the other way around.

This internship might *sound* wonderful, but any internship "opportunity" that costs so much likely isn't going to be worth the money.

Save the money. Keep looking for REAL internships that will pay you, or that will at least not charge you.

You'd be much better off putting your time into hunting for those sorts of internships for next summer over spending time trying to find a job to pay for this so-called "internship" that costs so much money.

You can get international experience later in your career.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I am a little concerned reading that you need $8000 for an internship.

REAL internships -- the kind that employers like to see on resumes -- usually pay you, rather than the other way around.

This internship might *sound* wonderful, but any internship "opportunity" that costs so much likely isn't going to be worth the money.

Save the money. Keep looking for REAL internships that will pay you, or that will at least not charge you.

You'd be much better off putting your time into hunting for those sorts of internships for next summer over spending time trying to find a job to pay for this so-called "internship" that costs so much money.

You can get international experience later in your career.

With all do respect, I am applying to research abroad and I will need money to cover the cost of the material, machine time, lab time, etc

The company is paying for stay, food, and utilities. It is my personal choice to want to go to Asia. I am asking for assistance in finding a way to finance my research. I am not looking to stay within the US once I graduate and this is an opportunity for me to network abroad, gain experience, and really set myself up for the international scale.

I want to go abroad while I am young. There is not point in going abroad for me when I am in my late 30s and early 40s because I wont be able to do half of the stuff I want to do. I also am not happy in the US because none of my friends are here. I want to be with them so we can go back to enjoying our life and having fun. I appreciate your thoughts but I would like it if we stayed focused on the main question.
I thank you for you input; but, I need to finance this. So please assist me in that method.

Last edited by california_native; 08-23-2015 at 02:03 PM..

Old 08-23-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
So commute to the Bay Area to work. Lots of people do it. Not that pleasant, but if you're really that motivated...
I cant, I have classes through out the week.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:18 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
I cant, I have classes through out the week.
So work weekends.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
So work weekends.
I am looking for work. I am willing to work all night, weekends, and basically make sure I can save up the money by then.

saying "oh work" .... is not the answer that is going to help. I want to work; however, I am not finding any work. I am asking how I approach the Sacramento region to find work part time for students.

I dont think you understand what I am asking.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:10 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
At the risk of irritating you with questions:

Are there any on-campus jobs at your college that you can apply for? Those can sometimes be easier to land and fit in around classes than jobs off campus.

Are you an international student, here on a student visa? If so, I'm sure you must have already checked into the types of off campus work that are allowed under your visa, but sometimes that visa rules can make it difficult to find off campus work.

It sounds, however, like you do have some connections. How did you find the jobs in the bay area you indicated you've been offered? Through professors? Your school? Former employers? Friends? Do any of those connections have contacts in the area you want to work?

I know how frustrating it can be to be actively looking for work and not able to find it, so I wish you the best of luck in your hunt.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:26 PM

356 posts, read 703,556 times
Have you tried applying for jobs at restaurants, coffee shops, or pizza delivery places? The pay isn't great, but the hours are usually flexible, and you usually don't need experience unless it's a high-end restaurant. These places often hire students, especially the ones near campus. How about Target, Costco, Best buy or a grocery store? You could also try UPS - I have heard the pay is decent, but the work can be strenuous. If you have a car, you could work for Lyft or Uber and work whenever you want.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:53 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Hello,

I am new to this site; however, my friends recommend that I post my questions about the region on here.
I am currently trying to save up for an opportunity to have a biomedical internship in Shanghai and Seoul next year (it will require travel). Over all it is perfect for my dream because I want to be bale to travel internationally for my career.

I have 34% saved up for the cost but I need to somehow get another $8000. I have been looking all over the Sacramento region for assistance; however, I am not getting anything. According to counselor, professionals, etc say I have a very strong resume but it does not translate into a serious candidacy for a jobs.

I am need of serious help and I am reaching out to everyone I can for help; however, there have been next to 0 people willing to help. I have helped international students have unpaid internships, helped my friends find work, helped relatives with finances; however, I am now on the side that needs help and I really need it.

I am free 5 of the 7 days for work and I am willing to work into the night. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I am willing to work 10+ hours.

I have contacted numerous retailers but want retail experience (I have engineering and research). I don't know how to approach this situation. I am from the bay area and I would be able to work as an assistant in offices around SF; however, Sac does not have that kind of atmosphere. Where should I go and who should I reach out?

Any help is welcome and I really need to find a source of income soon. I have already pushed back graduation for a year in order to have this opportunity and I don't know if i can hold out anymore.
Have you tried job placement at your college? Otherwise, check indeed.com and craigslist, but always be aware of the possibility of scammers posting, particularly on craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
View detailed profiles of: