Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 12:09 PM
eri eri started this thread

27 posts, read 119,225 times

Advertisements

Is there an area where people work on elkhorn blvd that is not as ghetto, or is the whole North Highlands area and surrounding just pretty all around bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 12:36 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,697,727 times
Pretty much all bad

And even if there was an okay area - would you really want to be that close to the bad areas?

Old 01-28-2008, 12:38 PM
eri eri started this thread

27 posts, read 119,225 times
i should have been more specific, i was offered a job in that area. Someone told me the area where the working district isnt AS bad but still pretty bad. is it even ok to work you think?

Old 01-28-2008, 01:30 PM

527 posts, read 1,323,290 times
one of my friends lives off elk horn and watt and honestly it really isn't too bad. Sure it isn't as nice as roseville, rocklin, or folsom, but it's not as if your going to get hassled just driving to work. The crime there woudn't stop me from working there or living there. I could see if you were walking the streets after midnight you MIGHT run into a few shady people but who does that anyways.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:27 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,376,211 times
I grew up in NH and still have quite a bit of extended family there. I personally feel the area around Holmes School (Walerga, Bainbridge, Arutas, Strathmore, etc) is a decent area and probably the 'best' of that area. There can be a lot of property crime and a few times a year more violent crime. As you pass over Elkhorn and into the areas around Village School and past that, its not the best area. More crime happens there. Stay out of the area between Don Julio and A Street. That is where my in-laws have lived for 30+ years and there is a lot of crime in that area. There is a high level of parolees living in that area too.

Another area of North Highlands that is surprisingly nice is the area just behind Safe Credit Union on Watt Ave. That neighborhood is like its own little pocket. Its between I-80, Watt Ave, and Winona. My parents moved to that area after I had left the house and the area is pretty nice. A lot of homes on 1/2-1 acre, most are kept up nicely, etc. A lot of the residents have lived there for many years and take pride in their homes. There seemed to be very little property crime. Many people take walks each night and socialize with each other. My parents met a lot of neighbors in that area because the neighbors walked by every night and they struck up friendships. But you cross over past the elementary school into the apartments around Polk Street, Renick Way, etc and the feeling of safe goes away in an instant.

I really urge you to drive through the area on Friday and Saturday nights. Its winter and not as many people hang outside, but in a few months you will be able to see what is happening. Some streets have great pockets of maintained homes, but you turn the corner and its not as nice. Just cruise through there and see it for yourself.

I have to say before the housing bubble burst, I saw A LOT of improvement in NH. Watt Avenue was getting cleaned up. The OLD yucky businesses that lined Watt have been torn down or renovated. I hope that continues. There still isn't a grocery store, they all closed. But there are quite a few within driving distance. Many landlords fixed up their rentals and sold them. Many young families were moving in and actually taking care of the homes. It was nice to see. Now you might get a DEAL on a home, there are more then 300 repos on the MLS listings and I am sure more to follow.

You didn't mention if you have kids. If so, don't send them to the jr and senior high. The state just stepped in because their performance has been low for decades, but took an even worse turn the last 5 years. They renamed the schools and combined it into a 7-12th grade academy. I am not sure how much that will do. Its the same kids, parents, and teachers. So be warned of that.

As for feeling safe, just use your common sense. If you see a couple of kids walking into the 7-11 with parka jackets on in July, get the hell out of there, lol. Now, if you are looking for gold chains or anything else easily stolen from walmart, then 7-11 is a great spot to find those after dark, lol. I visit NH a lot to see my family and while its changed, its still the same in many ways. Be aware, watch everything around you, especially at night when visiting the local stores. Lock your car and house. Park inside your garage at night. Lock your fence gates, you would surprised at how many thieves go into an unlocked gate during the daytime to rob your house. Have good lights on your house.

I should add this. I have a family now and wouldn't move back to NH even for a free house. But if you don't have a family yet, and don't mind some of the crap, then it might be for you. I must say I find a lot of the going ons funny, there is a lot of great drama. I used to love watching police raids on neighbors homes and the funniest domestic disputes (some were featured on COPS in the 90s) happened in the front yards. That is always entertainment for the neighborhood kids. Nothing attracts 30 kids on their bikes more then the coroner's office bringing out a body bag or the sheriff shooting someone in the middle of the street. When you know the people shown on channel 3 news getting arrested or listed as wanted, its funny. But I don't want that for my kids. I don't want them to feel that is normal and no big thing like we did as kids.

Last edited by Inthesierras; 01-29-2008 at 02:40 PM..

Old 08-16-2013, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 10,875 times
you are out of your mind bro. Its 2013 and I have been in NH Since 1999. I must say it used to be a bad area, i, lived by Melrose Dr. I now live by Village Elementary and it is calm. The bad area is by Ast. I dont have to worry being in NH as much as Del Paso Heights and all of their transients.
NH does not compare to how it used to be, it is now safer than 2000-2005

Old 08-17-2013, 02:40 PM

80 posts, read 206,681 times
North Highlands gets better as you get closer to Antelope, but even the best parts of North Highlands aren't that great.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 10,580 times
Is the area by dry creek road safe in the 1400 block safe in North Highlands. 1428 elkhorn blvd.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:05 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,799,515 times
North of Elkhorn Blvd., it improves as you get towards the Antelope or Foothill Farms neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento