Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:21 PM

175 posts, read 795,533 times

Advertisements

Mosquito's here are rarely a problem. Someone was complaining about air quality and whatnot but you have to remember we are surrounded by FARMS. Last but not least WHY would you want to live in Central Davis? ugh

(1) Is there a mosquito problem in Davis? I thought I'd read there were some West Nile cases in the area earlier. Any other critters like that that we should be aware of that are specific to the region?

(2) Are Central Davis homes ever on the market? Could be my search parameters, but seems most homes for sale are in the outlying areas. I'm hoping more homes come on the market as spring nears, but wondering if people just don't move out of that area.

Thanks again everyone![/quote]

Old 04-07-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitasum View Post
Hello,
My husband and I are looking into moving back to CA. We use to live in the crazy OC but are maybe ready for something a bit more quiet but yet exciting. We are very outdoorsey and love the sunshine. We are also into local farmers markets, healthy food, community etc.
However, are there any jobs in Davis or surrounding areas? if one was to live in Davis, where would one commute to work? Sacramento? what are the commutes like? what kind of jobs are there?

We appreciate any input!!
I would still choose Dixon over Davis. There are a lot of reason but number one is housing affordablity. Second, you can commute to Sac, Vacaville, Fairfield to name a few that are easy. Dixon is also a controlled growth community. Some of the Davis attitude spills over but we did get a Super Walmart which added a lot towards building the new High School. Hopefully Trader Joes will consider Dixon.

Last edited by Alisande; 04-07-2008 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 04-07-2008, 12:27 PM

Default Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Is it true that Davis going to generally be much hotter in the summer months than areas in the foothills? Is it unbearably hot in Davis?
It can be hot but generally doesn't last for long periods. Also, it is a dry heat not like Ill.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:38 PM

Default Racism in Davis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by christeen View Post
Hope it's ok to add another question here . . .

I've read references in the Davis Wiki to racial tensions (I think between black/white) at Davis High, and an undercurrent of racism in the city despite it's famously liberal views. Can anyone speak to the high school atmosphere and/or general issues re diversity/tolerance in the community?

Thanks so much.
You have to be kidding me? Take a look at the demographics for the area (Davis and Dixon). There are almost no Black kids. I've never seen or heard any of my children even notice race. It's a college town. The kids are use to different people (yes including the guy in the pink skirt). I know racism exist everywhere but you'll be hard pressed to find it here. You have to remember anyone can put anything into Wiki. Don't hold your breath as you read it.

Last edited by Alisande; 04-07-2008 at 01:01 PM..

Old 04-14-2008, 10:39 AM

18 posts, read 77,415 times
Alisande,
You should ask your kids about the racial stuff at their schools, now and in the past. It is not that our kids are "Use to different people" the wanna be freaks, and "I choose to wear a pink shirt" is way different than the racial tension that really is very much here in the Davis schools. My son was just talking about an assembly at the high school and was shocked that is was all about "Pride of the Davis diversity!" He felt is was yet again another "Davis utopia" only see and report what you want to see and report, Davis event. Your kids might very well not notice however it really is here. And you are right, there are almost no black kids in the regular high school, most of them attend King High, and the tension is between other races in town. I am a bit disheartened that some people don't notice....... this is the reason we have climate teams in the schools.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:03 PM

380 posts, read 2,351,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisande View Post
Mosquito's here are rarely a problem. Someone was complaining about air quality and whatnot but you have to remember we are surrounded by FARMS. Last but not least WHY would you want to live in Central Davis? ugh
Glad to hear mosquitoes aren't a big thing and the heat is bearable.

I didn't realize Central Davis was a bad place (I don't live in the area). The neighborhoods near Sycamore Park and Redwood Park appealed to me because they are quiet, clean streets with great old, shady trees, and it's bike-able to downtown, farmer's market, etc. Lots of the houses have bigger lots than the newer developments and seem to have more character (to me). What don't you like about the area? Is it not safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisande View Post
You have to be kidding me? Take a look at the demographics for the area (Davis and Dixon). There are almost no Black kids. I've never seen or heard any of my children even notice race. It's a college town. The kids are use to different people (yes including the guy in the pink skirt). I know racism exist everywhere but you'll be hard pressed to find it here. You have to remember anyone can put anything into Wiki. Don't hold your breath as you read it.
Hmm, having almost no black kids sounds more like a contributing cause to racial intolerance in the schools, not the absence of racism. Yeah, I realize anyone can add to the Wiki, which is why I asked here, to get more anecdotal evidence from yet more people who can post anything anonymously. Thanks for your input.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:21 PM

Good for you Christeen! I strongly agree with your insight and wisdom on the subject of racial issues. It is like the saying, "tolerant of others" Tolerate? I can tolerate the heat, the misquotes and the bad air in Davis. I appreciate, not tolerate, racial and cultural differences. The hard thing is, you wont find it here!

And as for being a college town, there are two predominate groups, rich bratty, self-entitled white kids and asian students. It is not an art school...... the sub groups, young hippy wanna be's and the best ones Vet students.

In 2007 there were 23,499 undergrads students enrolled in UCD fall quarter, out of that number there were 712 black students..... that is 3%. 73 out of 4094 (2%) black students in grad school...... the numbers state some clear facts about who is in Davis and is a strong contributor to the racial tension.

if you go to this link you will see the testing scores for many schools in the area and Davis has none reported for afro american students in Davis high.....

News10.net - Race and Education (broken link)

I do live in central Davis and find the old North & Old East neighborhoods to be the only places of interest as far as houses and culture go. The rest of Davis looks like the unfortunate McMansions that have taken over CA. (Wildhorse, Alhambra Estates) The only other really cool area is Willow Bank if you can shell out a cool Million......

Gosh, I do like some things about Davis, I don't like the VERY WELL documented racial tension in the schools. Wake up Davis parents there is a problem, it will only get better if people SEE IT!!!

Old 04-14-2008, 04:50 PM

Here is another great link if you want the skinny on Davis CA and the schools/culture/issues
Hope this can enlighten.......

The People's Vanguard of Davis: History Repeats: "Racial Climate Assessment Report" Reads as Though it Was Written Today

Old 04-28-2008, 07:41 PM

20 posts, read 74,561 times
Central davis is not a bad area, and it is safe. I'm not sure what the other poster is referring too.

My favorite area is West Davis. It also has developments that are older and have more character. Village Homes (Village Homes (broken link)) is a particularly idilic place to live (a little slice of heaven, really) but this is also reflected in the highest prices per sq foot in Davis.

And yes, racism does exist in Davis. While it may not always be the blatant in-your-face stuff (however there have been incidences of that), there is plenty of insidious institutionalized racism and the subtle, nice to your face but not so much behind your back variety.

Last edited by goodmau; 04-28-2008 at 07:49 PM..

Old 04-30-2008, 03:02 PM

380 posts, read 2,351,043 times
Thank you both for the feedback. Yeah, I thought Central Davis was nice. We love the neighborhoods we've seen, though the houses don't always have the modern amenities we like in the newer, admittedly more sterile subdivisions.

We really like West Davis too, though it feels a bit cut off from the rest of town since you have to cross Hwy 113 to get there.

Same thing with South Davis being separated from town by I-80. Yet many homes are really pricey in South Davis, and the school and parks seem great.

North Davis seems really nice too, especially the amazing greenbelts. But the railroad tracks that go down F Street concern me -- anyone know how busy they are?

Is Wildhorse that bad? The homes do seem very McMansion, but they tend to have the amenities we're looking for. How about the schools in the area -- are Birch Lane and Korematsu considered as good as the rest of Davis elementary schools? Birch Lane certainly has good greatschools.net ratings. But is the non-Montessori program as good as the Montessori (I'm not into montessori, though not totally closed off to the idea)?

Thanks again for the continued feedback everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento