Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 02:15 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The OP isn't asking for a dedicated thread, they're asking for a dedicated forum which is not the same as a single thread.
Yes, and I would like that, too; however, since you appear to be totally against El Dorado County having it's own forum (and it sounds like you don't like EDC, period), I suggested that a dedicated thread for El Dorado County would stand a chance to be successful.

You know, like the thread you post in....the one about the new stadium.

Why are you so against El Dorado County or El Dorado Hills or Placerville or whatever it is that seems to bother you?

If you are suggesting that El Dorado County and/or El Dorado Hills is full of people who don't care about the environment or whatever, don't you think encouraging some of us SF Bay Area folks up there might be helpful?

(I haven't read your links yet.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 09:02 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Nope, I think Placerville is great, especially the Cosmic Cafe. If you haven't been there, I advise a visit; the antique stores are a bit overpriced but some are just beautiful, and there's some lovely late 19th/early 20th century architecture. I just figured it would be more on-topic to discuss something about Placer County rather than just discussing the forum issue. A dedicated El Dorado Hills thread (or "megathread" for general Q&A) makes sense--just not a separate subform. Not due to any antipathy toward El Dorado County, but it's a question of necessity and traffic--it's not really needed, and wouldn't receive much traffic, while the general Sacramento forum isn't exactly a humming hive of activity that requires multiple subforums to keep track of things.

I find El Dorado Hills irksome because it's trying as hard as possible to avoid having to be a city, while trying to maintain the functions of a city, which amounts effectively to a privatized form of government with the powers of government but not the accountability. I think of it as a gigantic HOA.

The Agenda 21 folks I just find kooky. They are convinced any sort of regional effort to plan for future growth or transportation needs is a United Nations plot to make everyone live in Stalin-era apartment buildings. If El Dorado County does get an influx of Bay Areans of liberal bent, I expect an interesting reaction from the locals--although there are plenty of conservative folks in the Bay Area who may find El Dorado Hills more comfortable for their own political bent, and just as wary of blue-helmeted UN troops skulking in the bushes trying to socialize their right to unlimited highways.

Plan Bay Area

LAWSUIT TO STOP Agenda 21 - The Post Sustainability Institute

Freedom Advocates: Agenda 21 and Sustainable Development

Old 09-23-2015, 09:21 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,359 times
Quote:
I find El Dorado Hills irksome because it's trying as hard as possible to avoid having to be a city, while trying to maintain the functions of a city, which amounts effectively to a privatized form of government with the powers of government but not the accountability. I think of it as a gigantic HOA.
Which brings us to another thread--the folly of unincorporated "Un-Cities".

EDH had an incorporation drive in 2005, but like Arden Arcade's drive in 2010, it failed.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:13 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,793 times
Off topic but I really wish the Sacramento county government would completely dissolve on a 5 year time frame. Either the communities would have the following options:

1. Form your own city government.
2. Be annexed into the city of Sacramento or whatever neighboring city your adjacent to.
3. Be removed from Sacramento County and forced to join your neighboring county.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:40 PM

54 posts, read 67,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Which brings us to another thread--the folly of unincorporated "Un-Cities".

EDH had an incorporation drive in 2005, but like Arden Arcade's drive in 2010, it failed.
I don't know nearly enough about El Dorado County to purchase there yet. I know that there are just two cities, Placerville and South Lake Tahoe, and I would not ever want to live in snowy South Lake Tahoe. It does seem like El Dorado Hills is large enough to be a city, but I really don't know the why's and wherefores of why it isn't.

I am not used to El Dorado's primarily unincorporated towns structure, coming from a larger county with mostly cities, but also some smaller unincorporated areas, including at least one substantial one, Castro Valley, which is like El Dorado Hills, at least as it is also unincorporated. (I live in an incorporated city, not an unincorporated town.) If you read the San Francisco-Oakland forum, there many positive comments about Castro Valley, but not because it is a city or not. I think it is because of their school district, plus Castro Valley has a hospital which is a trauma center.

I am still learning about El Dorado County. I need to know soon whether it will be a good fit, while the housing market is advantageous for us. There are other counties that permit inter-county property transfers, but most of the houses there are not as large, with larger parcels, as El Dorado County.

I took a look at Placerville, including some pictures of government employees (county) on the county website and saw a sea of white faces. (I'm white, but it seemed very odd to me not to see other races represented.)

I have never given it much thought, whether to live in a city or an unincorporated area. I haven't read or heard of Agent 21 and don't know about EDHills squabbles, but while I am not a left-wing liberal, I am definitely not a right-wing nut job and I am convinced Donald Trump is a dangerous jerk. How does that fit in with El Dorado Hills and the areas west of Placerville? Isn't Placerville one of the areas where environmental hazards are greatest?

Where are the asbestos problems greatest? Where does someone have to purchase flood insurance?

Last edited by californiay; 09-23-2015 at 03:50 PM..

Old 09-23-2015, 03:42 PM

54 posts, read 67,330 times
Why aren't the El Dorado County-based realtors posting to this thread?

Old 09-23-2015, 06:34 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
I'm not sure what you're looking for. Many people, when they decide to move to this area, consider not only Sacramento, but all the suburbs within a 30 mile radius. The main areas they consider often include Davis (Yolo County), Roseville/Rocklin/Granite Bay (Placer County), Folsom (Sacramento County) and El Dorado Hills (El Dorado County). I don't think it's a benefit to separate El Dorado County as many of the areas are considered by people whose jobs will be in Sacramento and they want to discuss all options.

On the other hand, I do like the idea of a separate thread for El Dorado County. Perhaps especially a thread for Prop 90 in EDC. That would focus discussions in the right area and among the same demographic (55+) that you are looking for. And don't wait too long because it expires again next year and will have to extended once again next year. With the housing market as it is now, I'm not sure we will be able to get Prop 90 re-approved.

btw, I have never heard of Agent 21 until Wburg posted it this week. Clearly not a highlight of the residents of EDC. Depending mostly on location, the county ranges from conservative to liberal to libertarian. Because the size of the county land-wise, the cities, towns, and "Census designated areas" can be very different from one another. Which is great because it gives you lots of choices in terms of suburban feel vs. rural feel where you move.

I'm pretty sure most people in this county (El Dorado Hills included) think Donald Trump is a nut job, but many are enjoying the humor in his candidacy.

Not sure if anyone in the county needs flood insurance unless they are very close to a river or other body of water. It would be a case by case basis. Folsom Lake is below the elevation of most the county so we are not part of what's considered a flood inundation zone as is most of Sacramento county.

I hope that helps. If you have specific questions, feel free to send me a direct message.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:38 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiay View Post
I took a look at Placerville, including some pictures of government employees (county) on the county website and saw a sea of white faces. (I'm white, but it seemed very odd to me not to see other races represented.)
El Dorado County is more than 85% white, so the sea of white faces you saw is pretty much representative of the people you'll see there. Compared to Sacramento, a highly integrated, highly diverse majority-minority city, it's a very different social environment. But for many who move there, it's just the sort of thing they're looking for. Lots of homogeneity, no public transit, and no city government.

Thanks, by the way, for providing a "Kumbaya" moment with this thread--NickB1967 and I disagree on a great many things, but realizing the folly of "uncities" is common ground for both of us.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:49 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,359 times
Quote:
El Dorado County is more than 85% white, so the sea of white faces you saw is pretty much representative of the people you'll see there. Compared to Sacramento, a highly integrated, highly diverse majority-minority city, it's a very different social environment. But for many who move there, it's just the sort of thing they're looking for. Lots of homogeneity, no public transit, and no city government.

Thanks, by the way, for providing a "Kumbaya" moment with this thread--NickB1967 and I disagree on a great many things, but realizing the folly of "uncities" is common ground for both of us.
There's nothing wrong with no city government if the place is truly rural. But when all the trappings of a city appear--houses, shopping centers, office complexes, etc., and all kinds of "special assessment districts" and various quasi-governments have to be formed to accommodate them, then you have an "un-City". At that point, well heck, why not just incorporate a city in the first place?

Also, for a city like Sacramento, with the big city dreams but without the big city population and clout to carry them out, the Un-City surrounding it is hampering. I do suspect that if Mayor "K.J." has any energy left after the stadium fight, he will look at trying to annex Arden Arcade, Rosemont, and/or Fruitridge/Florin. Or I would try that if I were him.

Last edited by NickB1967; 09-24-2015 at 09:29 AM..

Old 09-24-2015, 09:43 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
There's nothing wrong with no city government if the place is truly rural. But when all the trappings of a city appear--houses, shopping centers, office complexes, etc., and all kinds of "special assessment districts" and various quasi-governments have to be formed to accommodate them, then you have an "un-City". At that point, well heck, why not just incorporate a city in the first place?

Also, for a city like Sacramento, with the big city dreams but without the big city population and clout to carry them out, the Un-City surrounding it is hampering. I do suspect that if Mayor "K.J." has any energy left after the stadium fight, he will look at trying to annex Arden Arcade, Rosemont, and/or Fruitridge/Florin. Or I would try that if I were him.
I have no idea what it would take to convert El Dorado Hills into a city or in what ways it would help/hurt us. But when something should happen and doesn't, it usually comes down to money. I know there are plenty of people that would like us to be a city so we could remove some of the county dabbling from our planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento