Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2015, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 6,911 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering buying in Plumas Lake, but we have some reservations. We have a 5 month old that will be going to school and growing up there, and the closest areas to shop are Marysville and Yuba City. We stopped at a gas station North of Plumas Lake where we would have to shop and saw a lot of questionable people that I would not want to encounter being out with just my child while my husband is at work. Is it better IN Plumas Lake and is it not as bad as it seems? I feel like moving there would leave me feeling like I was dropped out there having to drive into Natomas or Lincoln to feel comfortable to do any shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 12:09 PM

251 posts, read 376,149 times
In Plumas lake you pretty much only have a Walgreens and a gas station. Plumas lake is a fairly new community built in the 2000's. Aside from walgreens you would have to go to yuba city or south to Natomas for shopping. It really depends on why you are thinking about moving there. Homes there are definitely cheaper than Natomas which is part of the attraction.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:58 PM

722 posts, read 1,328,797 times
Plumas lake is a very poor choice, didnt you know that part of Ca is considered the "Meth Capitol of northern CA? Plumas lake is right next to a place called "Olivehurst" the whole area is full of low life degenerates , meth heads, tweakers, dope smokers, and Okies & trailor trash

there is a reason for the lower prices, unless your willing to put up with those types of people with behavior problems, drug problems, theft, burglary, etc

there are no jobs in that area, people usually live there and work out of town and commute daily, thats when the trailor trash break into your house while your at work.

also something to think about, Plumas Lake was built on low lying farm land, during the last big flood of 97 the entire area in Plumas lake was under 10 - 15 feet of water.

if the levee breaks again the whole area will get flooded because it's on low farm land.

your instincts about the questionable / suspicious looking people at the gas station are correct, those are the type of people Im talking about.

Last edited by green papaya; 10-27-2015 at 03:18 PM..

Old 10-27-2015, 04:33 PM

107 posts, read 248,547 times
There are many, many hardworking families in the area. Plumas Lake also draws from Beale Airforce base. Look online in facebook for Plumas Lake Homeowners, historically, they seem to be on top of things. Lastly, The levees around the area have been upgraded tremendously, and no where near the condition that they were in 1987. The prices are lower then Natomis because of its proximity to Sacamento.You will have to, as you know, commute to shop.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:02 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,663,523 times
Plumas Lake is definitely a bedroom community. As was mentioned in an earlier post, the only commercial outlets are a Walgreens and a gas station. You would have to drive into Marysville, Yuba City or Sacramento (Natomas) for any decent shopping or services. The exurb was hit hard during the recession resulting in a number of foreclosures and huge declines in property values. There have been discussions about Plumas Lake along with Oliverhurst and Linda being annexed into the city of Marysville, but the residents of those communities would have to approve of such a measure.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:54 PM

447 posts, read 652,011 times
I live in yuba city. Right off 99 I feel safe but I am next door to a school and close to a police station and yes you will see lots of tweakers we had someone with a machete go into the wendy's recently. I honestly can't recommend it if there are other places you could live I came because of family. Lots of normal folks here and its affordable by california standards but still... also of note jobs are lacking I am usually unemployed when I come here and only recently found a job in my field-and commute an hour to get to it. I would suggest roseville/rocklin areas instead

Old 10-29-2015, 11:21 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
People I know who live in Plumas Lake love it. They like that it's further out, more rural and easy drive in to more populated areas. As mentioned, many work at Beale, or YC/Marysville, and like my friend, some even commute in to Sacramento. Small, rural area tend to be poorer, so that may partially explain the shady appearing people you saw.

Do you like small town living? If not, you may want to consider somewhere else.
OP, you need to go spend some more time up there, drive through the town & the residential areas on different days of the week, and different times of the day.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 6,685 times
I was considering moving to Plumas Lake,heard the property was cheap. I work in Sacramento and,I am wondering if this wouled be a good,move on my part?

Old 02-04-2016, 12:54 PM

4 posts, read 11,265 times
I have lived here for over 9 years, and love it.. I left Natomas Park due to crime in 2005, and never looked back. Great school system, great small town feeling nice newer homes on larger lots.. Very informed neighbor hood, where everyone helps out and looks out for each other, and I believe the area home values are on the rise again... Yuba city Raleys/ Bel air are 15 min. away, Natomas 25 min to Safeway.. 25 minutes to Lincoln.... You will know your neighbor, none of which I have met are trailer/ trash meth heads, Linda is 10 miles away, however I don't see them venturing much to our area.. The gas station and Walgreens may have a diverse crowd, but that is mostly due to concert goers since Toyota Amphitheater is nearby, which for me is another +..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento